Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Army of the Dead [Spoilers]

Army of the Dead is out on Netflix now

I figured that people would be interested in talking about Zach Synder New film and it should get its own thread. And since most people have access to Netflix and it is not going to be hard to see this going spoiler-filled zone. Most of the reviews I have seen on it have been positive it has 73% critics and 79% audience on Rotten Tomatoes. For perspective Dawn of the Dead is 75% and 77% on RT.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-21-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Ultimate Member

It was good. Not great but good.

It's a perfectly fine "friday night on the couch" popcorn movie.

My problems were:

1. It was too long. These kind of movies shouldn't be much more than 100 minutes.
    2. Too nihilistic. This isn't surprising considering this is Zack Snyder.

Overall, I'd give it a 7/10. It's good but not as good as Snyder's Dawn of the Dead which was pretty awesome.

1. It was too long. These kind of movies shouldn't be much more than 100 minutes.
    2. Too nihilistic. This isn't surprising considering this is Zack Snyder.
    I haven't seen it, but too nihilistic is standard in zombie movies. The end of those movies is always either "everybody dies" or "the military comes in and shoots all the zombies," with the occasional "our heroes escape for parts unknown... for now."

It being too long gets the typical "it's Zach Snyder" explanation though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I haven't seen it, but too nihilistic is standard in zombie movies. The end of those movies is always either "everybody dies" or "the military comes in and shoots all the zombies," with the occasional "our heroes escape for parts unknown... for now."

True.

Snyder needs to "tighten" the run time of his movies.

They suffer from bloat most of the time.

I like it, It was not revolutionary it was just a good solid zombie. The only thing to complain about is more about the tropes of the genre than the movie itself.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Yeah, that's why I've little interest in watching it.

Say what you want about WWZ, but at least that movie was creative and didn't allow the tropes to bind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I like it, It was not revolutionary it was just a good solid zombie. The only thing to complain about is more about the tropes of the genre than the movie itself.
    That was one of the problems with it. Besides being too long and too slow at times. It was trying to be too many different Zombie movies at the same time. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that good either. The best part was the montage during the opening credits. And the most interesting character is killed then.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That was one of the problems with it. Besides being too long and too slow at times. It was trying to be too many different Zombie movies at the same time. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that good either. The best part was the montage during the opening credits. And the most interesting character is killed then.
    The biggest problem I had was with "the bad guy" security person that went along with them. He really didn't have any real reason to screw them over and killing people just decreases his chance of success. Also the daughter running away to save the woman was stupid. For me, the movie had these typically Zombie movie weird logic that does not make sense that you just have to shut down your brain and just go with it.

The biggest problem I had was with "the bad guy" security person that went along with them. He really didn't have any real reason to screw them over and killing people just decreases his chance of success. Also the daughter running away to save the woman was stupid. For me, the movie had these typically Zombie movie weird logic that does not make sense that you just have to shut down your brain and just go with it.
    Yeah, the whole daughter stuff was idiotic. "My friend may be dead, but I, with no particular abilities, will go rescue her." And in the end, she got her father and friend killed.
    On paper, Zombie/Heist movie sounds cool, but the execution was flawed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

I've never understood why zombie movies have to rely on PIS so damn much. You'd think relentless monsters would be enough, overall.

PIS? I hate random abbreviations.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    PIS? I hate random abbreviations.
    Plot Induced Stupidity

It's a very common one, damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Plot Induced Stupidity

It's a very common one, damn it!
    For every "very common abbreviation" there are as many people who don't know it. I have found I have had to explain a few myself. LOL, YMMV

But the whole plot was stupid. Instead of the elaborate heist story. Why not hire some mercenaries for $1 million a piece to get a damn Zombie head.

They weren't the first team, but the other also went through with the whole safe nonsense.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-22-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Incredible Member

zack's dawn of the dead was better.this has zach snyder signature all over it and it is not always a good thing. there's a clear homage/rip off at the start of the movie with the 2 soldiers running away to werewolf of london and it even has a new version of 'blue moon'

Amazing Member

Watched it Yesterday evening.

I kept thinking, is that really the movie people gush over? This is supposed to be Snyders big comback? According to one reviewer "Zack Snyders Suicide Squad"?
    Really?

I mean dont get me wrong, its a nice "turn your brain off" zombie movie...but thats about it.

-Unnecessary bloated plot to make it seem like the stakes are that much higher when it isnt.
    -Snyder continues to handle female characters bad.
    -Pacing is way too uneven and makes the movie feel bloated as hell.
    -It does nothing with the idea of this "squad", the characters are all so very bland and have nothing to go outside of their "gimmicks".
    -Every character is far dumber than needed...i mean come on, literally every character who meets the one Zombie who wears a metal helmet...shots at the guys Helmet while he wears no other protection...not even a shirt.
    -And you can see the "plot twist" from a mile away, just like the ending and the sequel bait scene.
    You could literally tell when Bautistas Character had the heart to heart talk, that he would go out like he did.
    Same when you saw Hardwicks character at the end...you could tell right away that this would reveal that he was bitten somehow.
    It did nothing really unique, everything this movie did, we pretty much saw in other Zombie movies before, and often more creative than Snyder did here.