Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman NYCC 2022 News

Figured we could use a place to keep track of all of the news that’s coming out this con:

Looks like Kenan, Kara, and Jon might be getting new redesigns, and I’m guessing that’s either Natasha Irons or Thao in back.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Mora's artwork is good as always.

But damn, those designs are bad. Half-head shaved Jon, everyone is wearing leather jackets, overuse of black... They look like something very early-2010s CW would make.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Figured we could use a place to keep track of all of the news that’s coming out this con:

Looks like Kenan, Kara, and Jon might be getting new redesigns, and I’m guessing that’s either Natasha Irons or Thao in back.

Are they serious ?both Jon and Kenan look like kon knockoffs,is that what you want for them? And they are doubling down on kon being the way he is ,nice DC,you will never learn.

Nice art though ,just wrong direction for the SUPERs.

I guess no one but Clark can have a cape wtf. Kara,Jon,and kenan need the capes

Dan Mora is awesome ,but he just took them all in a direction that ppl were complaining about what Jim lee did when he designed the new 52 justice league suits
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Love the designs. Wish they weren't so homogenized still. But at this point, I'm just thankful they got Jon out of that boring ass look he had before.

I think the point of the homogeneity is that these are the Superfamily “team” uniforms that they’ll be wearing in PKJ’s Action run, since that is shifting into being a Superfamily book, likely because Williamson is writing a relaunched Superman title. Given it’s Clark’s 85th next year and Cavill might be returning to the role this month for Black Adam, there’s no way DC isn’t going to have a Superman ongoing on the stands. The costumes remind me of the Power Ranger outfits - or that might just be because Mora drew them - and overall I like them. Conner is likely getting his own redesign in his Superboy miniseries.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Oof, those Kenan and Supergirl designs...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Love the designs. Wish they weren't so homogenized still. But at this point, I'm just thankful they got Jon out of that boring ass look he had before.

Well now he is a knockoff of Conner with thst hair.

And Conner omg,they kept those dumb boots and pointless side pouch,brought back the OG cut in his waist ,which I just said in another thread I was happy the new suit got rid of ugh.keeping the red and yellow S shield ,then doubling down with a red and black jacket is the wrong direction,he needs his red and black S shield and a all black leather jacket.it's not hard DC
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Retired

Looks like Jonathan Kent II continues to age rapidly and has begun to go grey.

Incredible Member

I think the point of the homogeneity is that these are the Superfamily “team” uniforms that they’ll be wearing in PKJ’s Action run, since that is shifting into being a Superfamily book, likely because Williamson is writing a relaunched Superman title. Given it’s Clark’s 85th next year and Cavill might be returning to the role this month for Black Adam, there’s no way DC isn’t going to have a Superman ongoing on the stands. The costumes remind me of the Power Ranger outfits - or that might just be because Mora drew them - and overall I like them. Conner is likely getting his own redesign in his Superboy miniseries.
    I'm glad you like them but man, I'm trying to but can't. They feel like many things none of them say "famiyl of super-heroes" to me. The lack of personal details (like capes, where are the capes) rob them of personality and the homegenization makes them feel like Supes' team of sidekicks or workers.

Heck, the amount of black makes it look like they're from some Elseworlds story where they're all evil.

I dunno, feels like you can simplify while avoiding these kinds of desing clichés, if this were from the New 52, it'd feel edgy even for them

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Well now he is a knockoff of Conner with that hair
    He did pretty much go from being knockoff Clark to knockoff Conner and Kara, didn't he? At least he's copying two people now instead of just one lol

[shrug]

Eh. I asked for him to get a new costume that looks good, and he did. Plus he'll be written by the only person, aside from Tom King and Tomasi, who's been able to give him a personality that's not just "Diet Clark". So this might end up being one of the only good things to happen to him since the Bendis-ing.

....I'm still not on board, but at least he might not suck anymore. Gotta take the little victories when I can lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    the homegenization makes them feel like Supes' team of sidekicks or workers.
    That's pretty much my only gripe. Particularly with Jon and Kara. I love the suits but I hate how everything almost perfectly matches. Like they're not allowed to have their own styles anymore. Not even the Robins' suits are all the same (save for Dick and Jason's first costumes)
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-05-2022 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Oof, those Kenan and Supergirl designs...
    Hah those two are my favorite of the bunch! Kara has long hair and Kenan has his yin-yang s-shield, both of those make me happy.

I stopped reading the Superman titles a while ago. It's not that I gave up on Superman but, IMO, DC gave up on Superman and turned him into a different character. One that didn't interest me. Since my time of reading the S books the sales have tanked. Action is not even in the top 100.

It'll be interesting to see if DC continues on this path. The plans for Superman suggest that Jon keeps his own title (which before was a Superman/Clark ongoing book) and Action becomes an anthology book that does not necessarily feature Superman issue to issue? If that is the case this will be the first time Superman/Clark has not had his own ongoing title. Crazy stuff - if DC doesn't beleive in th character how can they expect fans to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I'm glad you like them but man, I'm trying to but can't. They feel like many things none of them say "famiyl of super-heroes" to me. The lack of personal details (like capes, where are the capes) rob them of personality and the homegenization makes them feel like Supes' team of sidekicks or workers.

Heck, the amount of black makes it look like they're from some Elseworlds story where they're all evil.

I dunno, feels like you can simplify while avoiding these kinds of desing clichés, if this were from the New 52, it'd feel edgy even for them
    I’m the guy who absolutely loved Clark’s Authority suit by Janin so I’m all on board for cape less Supers (God I wish Clark was still wearing that outfit here).

Kenen unique thing is his S shield being ying yang ,but he lost any other .
    Jon had his full head of hair,and a cape ,always had one ,even when he was a kid.

Bith have lost everything else ,I seriously though I was looking at 3 versions of Conner kent until I saw kons very lazy redesign ,and went back to see them.

Kara should have kept her world's finest suit

Why does every artist need to redesign to death every character ,keep it simple,keep it iconic for each character.

Incredible Member

I’m the guy who absolutely loved Clark’s Authority suit by Janin so I’m all on board for cape less Supers (God I wish Clark was still wearing that outfit here).
    Oh, that one worked pretty well lol