Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Wolverine: Vibranium vs Adamantium

How does Wolverine change if his skeleton and claws are made from vibranium instead of adamantium?

A is indestructible. V is indestructible except against a Thanos weapon, and it has 100% absorption of vibration. However, absorbing vibration is also storing energy, so it must have a way to release that energy... it's the only explanation for being able to bounce off things instead immediately falling to the ground when it hits something.

When Wolverine is introduced its reasonable that he will be vibranium since it's established as the strongest metal on Earth (and is more interesting to boot). How will that change his fighting style?

Extraordinary Member

I’ve been thinking they’ll actually keep it as adamantium on his bones, and just emphasize a different set of advantages and disadvantages between the two metals - something like Adamantium being somewhat more durable, but less suitable for energy conduction *and* more difficult to produce, manipulate, and manufacture.

Perhaps it was an attempt to replicate Vibranium in the MCU but was written off as being too cost-prohibitive even compared to the difficulty of getting vibranium out of Wakanda,
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

They could just say something like the only significant difference is that adamantium is isn't toxic when bonded to the human skeleton. I don't think any more explanation is necessary beyond that, really.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    They could just say something like the only significant difference is that adamantium is isn't toxic when bonded to the human skeleton. I don't think any more explanation is necessary beyond that, really.
    There wouldn't be much point to that since Wolverine has a healing factor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    There wouldn't be much point to that since Wolverine has a healing factor.
    I mean, prior to them boosting his healing factor to the point of him healing a severed head within 15 seconds, Wolverine was susceptible to poisons. I never liked the point where they made him practically indestructible because of his healing factor.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Thinking about it, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thinking about it, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference.
    Hmm. I would have thought that having a skeleton that could absorb and discharge energy would make some sort of difference.

BANNED

Wolverine's Skeleton is not human but mutant. I don't think any human will survive Adamantium bonding, maybe apart from Deadpool but he is a different case, humans are not meant to survive it.

Additionally I think this issue goes beyond Vibranium vs Adamantium in power mode but it represented more of a theme. Vibranium creates something beautiful that makes an entire country rich, Adamantium was created as an experiment that was used to brutally ostracise mutants and another way to show they were nothing more but freaks. Every mutant character that has been a victim of Adamantium has been traumatized by it. Here is a perfect example

So yeah, what separate them is the reoccurring themes of what they represent. not what they can actually do because any writer can come in with retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    How does Wolverine change if his skeleton and claws are made from vibranium instead of adamantium?

A is indestructible. V is indestructible except against a Thanos weapon, and it has 100% absorption of vibration. However, absorbing vibration is also storing energy, so it must have a way to release that energy... it's the only explanation for being able to bounce off things instead immediately falling to the ground when it hits something.

When Wolverine is introduced its reasonable that he will be vibranium since it's established as the strongest metal on Earth (and is more interesting to boot). How will that change his fighting style?
    That is not reasonable. for three reasons.

1. they both already exist in the comics and seem to be doing well on their separate ends, meaning that can translate to movies.

2. See what I said earlier about the themes

3. It is shrinking the X-MEN Universe as it emphasises more on superficial connected movies that X-MEN should never rely on. It will be committing the same errors as trying to connect Peter/Spiderman more to Iron Man than Uncle Ben.

Adamantium at this point is iconic and very signature to Wolverine's claws. it is far more iconic than Vibranium , ditching that will be ridiculous with Wolverine, Also while I can understand the debate and even confusion about Vibranium and Adamantium now that MCU has X-Men, I don't think Wolverine in particular will be in the MCU.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-26-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Wasn't it shown in the Death of Wolverine arc that the adamantium actually DID poison Logan, and that it was his healing factor that was continuously healing him from that?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Wolverine's Skeleton is not human but mutant. I don't think any human will survive Adamantium bonding, maybe apart from Deadpool but he is a different case, humans are not meant to survive it.
    Bullseye did, actually. After the battle he and Daredevil had after he had killed Elektra.

BANNED

Bullseye did, actually. After the battle he and Daredevil had after he had killed Elektra.
    oh yes, the rectons stuff I already mentioned. when different writers will go back and forth on a subject, reason I said, adamantium needed to be self contained with characters like Wolverine, X23, Sabertooth and Lady Deathstrike. Humans on paper are not supposed to be surviving adamantium bonding experiments neither do mutants who don't have healing mutation powers.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-26-2021 at 04:52 PM.

They aren't going to give Logan vibranium. They'll just use the reasoning that scientists were trying to recreate it but came up with adamantium instead.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    They aren't going to give Logan vibranium. They'll just use the reasoning that scientists were trying to recreate it but came up with adamantium instead.
    Yeah, that's my thought. MCU Wolverine will have adamantium stuff, which will be an attempt to synthesize something the equivalent of vibranium by some non-Wakandan agency/government/wetworks division.

And, given the way the MCU tends to build off of itself, it might involve some of the alien metals / compounds salvaged from Thanos' invasion fleet/ships, or some similar previously-seen stuff (which will create a limit on who can synthesize this new metal, and how much they can make, depending on how much of the alien metal is available and who has it and how much people like Captain Marvel threw into the sun and is no longer available for mad scientists / sketchy government agencies to play with).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, that's my thought. MCU Wolverine will have adamantium stuff, which will be an attempt to synthesize something the equivalent of vibranium by some non-Wakandan agency/government/wetworks division.

And, given the way the MCU tends to build off of itself, it might involve some of the alien metals / compounds salvaged from Thanos' invasion fleet/ships, or some similar previously-seen stuff (which will create a limit on who can synthesize this new metal, and how much they can make, depending on how much of the alien metal is available and who has it and how much people like Captain Marvel threw into the sun and is no longer available for mad scientists / sketchy government agencies to play with).
    Well, unless there were remains of landing ships in Wakanda from Infinity War, there would be no ships remaining from Thanos's invasion. Tony's snap ashed everything Thanos brought, ships and all.

Extraordinary Member

If they went with another extra-terrestrial explanation for Adamantium akin to Vibranium, they’d probably be best served to have it arrive at an earlier date and circumstance. Luckily, we know that Ravagers were able to find and capture Peter Quill in the 80’s, while the Asgardians were on Earth at least during the Viking Age - and apparently willing to leave an infinity stone behind for safe keeping.

I really would like it if they made Adamantium the “boring, yet practical” counterpart to Vibranium being an “awesome and practical” metal hood true on the MCU - just keep Adamantium as an unbelievably tough metal, but with no vibration abilities, no enhanced ability to handle energy.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP