Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It was an epic film with a slice of cheese. The films that followed in the series? Well, some were among the very worst sequel films ever made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Was the original even any good? I can't imagine this new one will be worse.
    Nuff said.

Ultimate Member

That song was from the movie?

Anyways, I was semi-rhetorical. I haven't seen it in a while but I personally don't remember it being great

BANNED

Anyways, I was semi-rhetorical. I haven't seen it in a while but I personally don't remember it being great
    It is awesome.

BANNED

Incredibly awesome

The idea of doing amazing swordfights on screen is very appealing to me.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Queen's music is such an essential part of the only good movie being that good. I feel like Highlander was something where the stars aligned and can't be replicated now in an original or plesant way. Just do more Old Guard movies or something new.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Yes the original is good. Good for its era. I've re-watched a few times over the last 20 years. The f/x are noticeably dated. The simplicity of the story works though and is acted well.

The sequels are a bit all over the place and contradict each other in places(kind of like the Transformers films). It is like no one at the studio thought of sequels or once the first sequel was made how possible future sequels would look.

So with Cavill in place for three films if an over arching plan is place Highlander is ripe to improve upon itself.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Yes the original is good. Good for its era. I've re-watched a few times over the last 20 years. The f/x are noticeably dated. The simplicity of the story works though and is acted well.

The sequels are a bit all over the place and contradict each other in places(kind of like the Transformers films). It is like no one at the studio thought of sequels or once the first sequel was made how possible future sequels would look.

So with Cavill in place for three films if an over arching plan is place Highlander is ripe to improve upon itself.
    I hope this new one is good. Idk if there will be any sequels but if there are, hopefully they're more well thought out

It sort of has a similar appeal to the original Terminator-it's a cool concept on sort of a really low budget, plus as others have brought up Queen's music makes it stand out a lot. There's an entire Queen album that's pretty much the film's soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Kind_of_Magic

There's even one song (Gimme the Prize) that's largely made out of lines and sound effects from the movie!
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I thought it was great. But the first sequel has to go down as one of the worst movies ever made. The immortals become refugees from the planet Mongo? Just no. [And, yes I know, it was Geist but it might as well have been Mongo]. All I ask from this remake is that, if they ever do sequels, do not contradict the first one.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It sort of has a similar appeal to the original Terminator-it's a cool concept on sort of a really low budget, plus as others have brought up Queen's music makes it stand out a lot. There's an entire Queen album that's pretty much the film's soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Kind_of_Magic

There's even one song (Gimme the Prize) that's largely made out of lines and sound effects from the movie!
    Maybe the new one will have a similarly big soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I thought it was great. But the first sequel has to go down as one of the worst movies ever made. The immortals become refugees from the planet Mongo? Just no. [And, yes I know, it was Geist but it might as well have been Mongo]. All I ask from this remake is that, if they ever do sequels, do not contradict the first one.
    Maybe they'll plan it out better. I might rewatch the original again

Extraordinary Member

I’ve been thinking that a fun way to approach the various immortals in a reboot would be to embrace the theme behind Connor’s nickname and The Kurgan’s title, and use nationalities or descriptors, especially one

Like... The Highlander, The Kurgan, The Varangian, The Comanche, The Conquistador, The Norman, The Nubian, The Khagan, etc.

It would just be a cool little detail to add in. They wouldn’t be called that, but classified by that.

...And if they wanted to do some update of Methos form the TV show, the oldest immortal, give him a really, really archaic title, like The Achaean or The Myrmidon.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP