Spectacular Member

Default How do you plan your comics?

How do you plan what comics you read next? Also, how would you decide between reading some comics digitally and some comics in print?

Well planning digitally is easy because all my comics are digital now, I don’t have a lot of physical room for all the comics I read so it’s easier to read on my computer or phone.

As for what I read I have a few qualifications that come as a sort of balancing test if you will. It comes down to 1. Characters or Premise 2. Creative Team 3. Whether I’m already reading the previous volume or character. 4. Cost (I don’t read a lot of series that are $4.99)
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    How do you plan what comics you read next?
    I research them to determine if my favourite characters are there and if they have a sizeable enough role (i.e. not just a cameo). I check out reviews and if possible summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Also, how would you decide between reading some comics digitally and some comics in print?
    I almost never read comics or books digitally unless that's the only way they're available. It just doesn't feel the same as holding actual pages in my hands.

I look and see if anything is laying around that I haven't read yet, then I decide if I'm in the mood to read them at the moment.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

If you mean how do I choose what new series to try, for me it's a matter of creative staff, tending more to follow writers, and then, I like westerns, pirate ships, detectives, those almost always get a try; I seem to be developing a choice for 'historical settings,' re-reading Sandman Mystery Theatre, now following Minky Woodcock--The Girl who Electrified Tesla, and House of Lost Horizons. I like samurai manga. A samurai detective aboard an old clipper ship by fav writer/artist: that's what I'd read next first. If you mean how do I choose what old titles to read, much like the Major ^, whatever strikes me as The Thing to Read Right Now. Now, if you mean, Here's this stack of new comics, where to start? That takes looking at all the covers, and the title that strikes a big emotional response (Usagi Yojimbo!) gets to the top of the deck. Topmost at the end of the go-through, that's my next comic book to read.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I keep up with comic book news and if I'm interested in an upcoming series, I check it out.

Incredible Member

Because I hate spoilers, I actually try to avoid reading solicits, previews, and most creator interviews that are forward-looking, so basically I end up just buying my favorite creators and characters without knowing much beforehand.

It's more or less the same with old comics. I'm just going to buy trades from my favorite creators and/or stuff I've already read and know is good.

If I do need to seek out an opinion beforehand, I'll just ask message boards and/or try the user ratings on comic book roundup (which aren't a good resource but still better than the "professional" reviewers that consistently give inflated grades to bad comics).

I look to see what I like that's out there.
    Currently, I'm reading Amethyst v1, Arion and Legion of Super-Heroes v1.
    When I finish v1 of Amethyst, I'll either go to v2 or start on Blue Devil.

And I read everything digital now.
    I do buy physical every now and then. I have a huge chunk of '80s Legion that goes from Darkness Saga up through the first year of the Baxter series, and I've started a physical collection of DC's sword & sorcery comics of the '80s.
    I also have a collection of Swamp Thing trades and pretty much all of the original JLI books.
    Physical is still bought, it's just that it's more for stuff I really want to own.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.