Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

I don't know... calling the bomb that Mercenary had a 'normal-ass' grenade seems almost disgenuous. I mean, for something he tried to use only after his other methods failed to work, it being as weak as being called a normal grenade implies means it makes no sense for him to use it in that situation.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

The grenade is not a difficult moment to write off, at any rate. For the other stuff, Crane school and Turtle school were rivals, so we may also have been seeing Tao trounce Goku using stuff he already knew + experience and that just making him look stronger than he is. This is still at a point in the series where you could have a character cancel a blast just by knowing that specific blast. Crane school seems to be a bit more cerebral, though it's not really mentioned. It's other two students do a lot of "weird tricks" like multiplying arms, cancelling attacks, using telekinesis, etc in contrast to Turtle school basically being all about fundamentals. Obviously none of this is brought up during the fight, but it works alright in retrospect, I think.

Anyway, as far as comparing how people train, Krillin at the age of... 12? 13? I know it was mentioned in the 21st Budokai. Very very young, was able to, with some months of training, get up to a point where he could go toe-to-toe with 21st Budokai Master Roshi, so I don't see why I'd believe Danny could get anything close to equivalent results, let alone be stronger than him. We know what Master Roshi's training was, and it was basically just gruelling physical training. Would Danny get that much stronger from less than a year of doing milk runs? 30kg weights and running are not forms of training that are unavailable or arcane in his home. Krillin is a freakish prodigy, he just gets massively overshadowed by his alien best friend.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 05-27-2021 at 06:05 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    The grenade is not a difficult moment to write off, at any rate. For the other stuff, Crane school and Turtle school were rivals, so we may also have been seeing Tao trounce Goku using stuff he already knew + experience and that just making him look stronger than he is. This is still at a point in the series where you could have a character cancel a blast just by knowing that specific blast. Crane school seems to be a bit more cerebral, though it's not really mentioned. It's other two students do a lot of "weird tricks" like multiplying arms, cancelling attacks, using telekinesis, etc in contrast to Turtle school basically being all about fundamentals. Obviously none of this is brought up during the fight, but it works alright in retrospect, I think.

Anyway, as far as comparing how people train, Krillin at the age of... 12? 13? I know it was mentioned in the 21st Budokai. Very very young, was able to, with some months of training, get up to a point where he could go toe-to-toe with 21st Budokai Master Roshi, so I don't see why I'd believe Danny could get anything close to equivalent results, let alone be stronger than him. We know what Master Roshi's training was, and it was basically just gruelling physical training. Would Danny get that much stronger from less than a year of doing milk runs? 30kg weights and running are not forms of training that are unavailable or arcane in his home. Krillin is a freakish prodigy, he just gets massively overshadowed by his alien best friend.
    Once again, everything I said is based on the idea that Danny grows like DB people in the DB verse. So yes, given that Danny is an insane prodigy who endures literal torture as training for decades to kill an eternal dragon with his bare hands and absorb said being's massive life force into himself, yeah, putting him in a world where that kind of training leads to ridiculous, continuous growth instead of plateauing, yeah, he'll do at least as well as Krillen, while starting from a much higher starting point AND being capable of training much harder due to his ability to heal himself AND his proven ability to train harder than Krillen (for example).

To state it again, if he cannot benefit from the unlimited ki growth available in DB, then no, he's a fly poop.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Except he did casually waste Goku, like what? He was toying with the kid and couldn't be harmed by him, all the while he killed Blue(who has incredible durability feats that are consistent)with his tongue. Goku only matched him after his training and there is zero showings after that which would suggest a Korin trained Goku wouldn't be capable of replicating Taos showings.

The grenade is quite literally Taos only low showing. Have anything else that contradicts it? And no, them not tossing a pilar in every other issue isn't a contradiction, them struggling with less is. And we don't see that until much later with Gokus weights during the last tourney.
    I know there are narrative limitations to things like Rumbles rules, but I don't think we can rule the grenade as a low showing considering the impact it had on Tao Pai Pai to the point of necessitating turning him into a cyborg. That's a consistent, and permanent, effect that overrides something as a low showing. Is there anything that contradicts the grenade as a low showing? Well, the state of his body from that point onward is a pretty big yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I know there are narrative limitations to things like Rumbles rules, but I don't think we can rule the grenade as a low showing considering the impact it had on Tao Pai Pai to the point of necessitating turning him into a cyborg. That's a consistent, and permanent, effect that overrides something as a low showing. Is there anything that contradicts the grenade as a low showing? Well, the state of his body from that point onward is a pretty big yes.
    Yes, he shrugged off a kamehameha. And those much weaker than him(pre Korin trained Goku)shrugged off rockets making direct contact
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Still wondering why the 'grenade' is assumed to be so much weaker than what Tao can do that it doesn't even make sense for him to be carrying it.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Still wondering why the 'grenade' is assumed to be so much weaker than what Tao can do that it doesn't even make sense for him to be carrying it.
    Especially considering DB Earth's general tech levels and the fact that we know that Tao Pai Pai explicitly has tech contacts sufficient to turn him into a mostly mechanical cyborgwith a full blown HUD, which he felt was a significant step above his own normal levels. For all we know, that grenade was designed and built by friggin' Dr. Gero (which could be a point of contact between Red Ribbon and TPP).

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Especially considering DB Earth's general tech levels and the fact that we know that Tao Pai Pai explicitly has tech contacts sufficient to turn him into a mostly mechanical cyborgwith a full blown HUD, which he felt was a significant step above his own normal levels. For all we know, that grenade was designed and built by friggin' Dr. Gero (which could be a point of contact between Red Ribbon and TPP).
    True enough, buuuuuut "for all we know" most definitely isn't a feat for Rumbles.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    True enough, buuuuuut "for all we know" most definitely isn't a feat for Rumbles.
    The feats would be that he has a grenade that can hurt himself, that that kind of tech is possible in his setting, and that he is shown to have access to that level of technology.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    The feats would be that he has a grenade that can hurt himself, that that kind of tech is possible in his setting, and that he is shown to have access to that level of technology.
    I was simply quoting your "for all we know." :-)