Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    I think them not interfering with the events of Avengers 1, Ultron and the snap will be a big plotline of the story. I think we'll definitely see a Thanos flashback as well which could be shown in the first full trailer. I really know nothing about these characters. I know I read some series a while back, maybe a Civil War tie in? I can see the lack of hype, but I'm also super intrigued to see it. Kind of glad I have no idea what to expect.
    I could see the Celestials playing into the plot as the reason why they don't step in until the Thanos snap. Anytime they interfere even a little, the Celestial punishes them. And then the movie ends with them expelling the Earth Celestial (which then attracts other big bad like maybe a certain world eater).

And I (shouldn't) *hope* that Thanos ties into the Eternals with out much of a retcon.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I could see the Celestials playing into the plot as the reason why they don't step in until the Thanos snap. Anytime they interfere even a little, the Celestial punishes them. And then the movie ends with them expelling the Earth Celestial (which then attracts other big bad like maybe a certain world eater).

And I (shouldn't) *hope* that Thanos ties into the Eternals with out much of a retcon.
    We don't know much about his birth. Or his family, Eros etc. They could easily fill that out and tie him in there if they want. Then they are left with the why didn't they intervene with him portion. Which they would have to address anyway really since it was so big

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    We don't know much about his birth. Or his family, Eros etc. They could easily fill that out and tie him in there if they want. Then they are left with the why didn't they intervene with him portion. Which they would have to address anyway really since it was so big
    I think that makes sense.

Thanos might not even factor into that story much at all, haha!

I guess we'll have to wait and see with either the movie itself or a story-centric trailer.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

I think that makes sense.

Thanos might not even factor into that story much at all, haha!

I guess we'll have to wait and see with either the movie itself or a story-centric trailer.
    I thought about that as well. I mean its ALOT to force on this story. They may completely avoid that and say they don't need it in the MCU version. With so many characters to service anyway I can see a version where they don't want to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I thought about that as well. I mean its ALOT to force on this story. They may completely avoid that and say they don't need it in the MCU version. With so many characters to service anyway I can see a version where they don't want to go there.
    In the long run, that might be better for Thanos.

The Eteranal's problems with not interfering could then be transferred over to the Celestial(s) and keeps the story centered on them.

I really do like the trailer. Visually I think it’s great (but could be better colour graded), and all the scenes we’ve seen intrigue me - I just hope the characters/plot are interesting

Count me as one of those who actually liked the trailer, especially as a fan of beautiful cinematography. It's a teaser, so I appreciate that they didn't reveal any plot points. Chloe Zhao is a talented director, and I am adoring the cast. I also like how they their powers are depicted. The tendrils of golden light gives it a quality that makes it easy to see how they could perceived as gods by earlier civilizations.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Not a fan of the trailer at all. It just felt small. The song choice made it seem even more so. The Eternals are a big concept and I got not of that from this trailer. These people are almost gods yet here they just feel like paper cut out caretakers. It was pretty to look at sure, but it fell flat on every other level. It just doesn't seem like the type of trailer you should use to give people there first glimpse at such an unknown IP. There was nothing to really get excited for here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I really do like the trailer. Visually I think it’s great (but could be better colour graded), and all the scenes we’ve seen intrigue me - I just hope the characters/plot are interesting
    I agree with this but in way, I did sort predict it when we first saw the teaser that although I saw some Zhao stuff that really felt like hers, the MCU signature look of their films will still have a bigger influence than Zhao's own style. I already sort of said it about 5 weeks ago.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...4-special-look

And this trailer prove me right, the color grading overall still looks dour and quite bland I have read some comments here, that the trailer did nothing for them or is uninteresting. it could be because you are looking at a movie you have already seen 25 times and are listening to your subconscious.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-24-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I'm just in for the greatness of the BLACK KNIGHT ! Bring on that cool energy sword and him riding a machine Pegasus !
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Amazing Member

Can't wait for it^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I agree with this but in way, I did sort predict it when we first saw the teaser that although I saw some Zhao stuff that really felt like hers, the MCU signature look of their films will still have a bigger influence than Zhao's own style. I already sort of said it about 5 weeks ago.

And this trailer prove me right, the color grading overall still looks dour and quite bland I have read some comments here, that the trailer did nothing for them or is uninteresting. it could be because you are looking at a movie you have already seen 25 times and are listening to your subconscious.
    The color grading of Thor: Ragnarok is different from that of the Russo movies, the same is true for the color grading of the GOTG movies, so that proves that there is no unitary MCU color grading. If this will be the final look of the movie then it's the coloring Chloe Zhao wanted for it.

But as the first trailers are often worked on by other colorists than the finished movie it's still possible that the final product will look different anyway.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Ultimate Member

I like the Kirby Celesials the most. Gaiman's were a good intro for people not in the know IMHO. So I think the choice to go the Gaiman route is a good one. We can get the crazy Kirby stuff later!

Like I said in the post above, going with the Gaiman Eternals would be a good hook for new people.

An aside ...

Is it just me or did that trailer scream, "OSCAR BAIT" to anyone else? The style of shot compositions, blocking, palettes, cucoloris, and other technical aspects they showed were things you see in epic Oscar nominees (I immediately thought of Crouching Tiger's first trailer) of the past.

EDIT to add:
    Nope, it wasn't just me! It already has Oscar buzz.
    Would have been funny if we got an end clip of Black Panther dusting his 3 Oscars and watching the trailer and yelling "Gee when Marvel doesn't try to go for Oscars they win 3 (4 if you count Miles)-here they are trying too hard..."

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

I think it's quite clear (at least from this trailer) that this is very much Zhao's movie. The colour grading (no matter where it lands on the spectrum) does not change that one iota.

At lot of people that dislike this trailer also seem to be more interested in Loki, Black Widow, and Shang Chi still, so i don't think anyone's subconscious is telling them anything like that. The trailer isn't action heavy like most MCU trailers with cool kinetic shots - it's atmospheric and moodier and has no hint at the real plot: I imagine that is why it has not landed for a lot of fans of the MCU

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I think it's quite clear (at least from this trailer) that this is very much Zhao's movie. The colour grading (no matter where it lands on the spectrum) does not change that one iota.

At lot of people that dislike this trailer also seem to be more interested in Loki, Black Widow, and Shang Chi still, so i don't think anyone's subconscious is telling them anything like that. The trailer isn't action heavy like most MCU trailers with cool kinetic shots - it's atmospheric and moodier and has no hint at the real plot: I imagine that is why it has not landed for a lot of fans of the MCU
    I don't agree, it is looking very standard MCU and honestly I am even quite surprised, some fans are saying so. I didn't even see the joke about leading the Avengers in the end until my second rewatch, which makes it even more standard MCU because the standard MCU forumla always need to remind us of the humor. as for it looking like a Zhao film, I don't see it much and so far, it is quite disappointing after my more optimistic standing from the teaser.

I can still tell easily this is still a MCU film and not because of the humor. when you say something need to look different, I am talking about as far as a David Yates film looked from a Chris Columbus Harry Potter film and you don't get that in this trailer. I think this is why some are really saying it was meh or uninteresting, I don't think it is because of Loki, Black Widow and Shang CHI. On paper, people should me more hyped for this film as we already know enough about Loki and Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    The color grading of Thor: Ragnarok is different from that of the Russo movies, the same is true for the color grading of the GOTG movies, so that proves that there is no unitary MCU color grading. If this will be the final look of the movie then it's the coloring Chloe Zhao wanted for it.

But as the first trailers are often worked on by other colorists than the finished movie it's still possible that the final product will look different anyway.
    I dont agree with this. this is what Ragnarok looked liked.

It's pretty much the same VFX and cinematography style. I agree much more with Vegeta that it does look like another Hollywood Popcorn movie you have seen before, but this is MCU hollywood popcorn film.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-24-2021 at 02:29 PM.