Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 226
  1. #121
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    8,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I have promoted MCU movies for the most part and liked the ones that didn't insult my intelligence. This just makes me wonder if there really is a movie behind this dreary, uninspiring thing. I really don't care if it succeeds or falls. I don't care if I like even like it or not at this point. The trailer just doesn't have much to offer someone who wants to be really wild about this
    I'm more interested in how the movie itself turns out than whether the marketing people did good on the trailers. I mean, in the end, the former the thing of primary importance.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  2. #122
    Astonishing Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    ... yes I can say it’s beautiful despite the colour grading. Just like you can take a frame from the Iron Fist tv show, give it the best colour grading in the world and still say it looks dreadful lmao. It’s being critical - you can like something and still find flaws. I find it hard to believe someone can narrow their definition of beauty down to only colour grading. Sounds like an unreliable critic.

    I have already read the article, and I don’t agree with it - again, colour grading doesn’t make or break a shot for me.

    Zhao recently stated she has not finished the edit. I don’t know if that has changed since, but seeing as the movie is 6 months out, it’s not impossible that more adjustments will be made - MCU movies (and now shows) have had a track record of tweeting til the release date
    It feels as if the cake wants to be kept while also eating. Anyway I really hope the movie turns out as you want it , although I rather just stick to MCU style of track record that is already clear in the trailer.

    Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Marvel's Eternals

    Note- i notice certain types on the internet who says eternals will be marvel's first bomb are the ones who want phase 4 to fail as well etc..and even the future mcu.
    Comicbookcas2 is a MCU Shill and I mean a shill in the primary sense of the word, unlike John Campea of Grace Randolph. He is a shill that will go to any distance to defend what he likes.

    Also, I dont think the film will flop. Not by a chance, in fact if not for COVID, I see this movie making more money than Captain Marvel considering Angelina Jolie and Salma Heyek are bigger female names than Brie Larson and have more fans with no drama or superficial controversy like Brie.

    What however I just feel is that what this movie may do is just make some fans, admit what has now become too obvious to deny about a lot of this comic book films.

  3. #123
    Fantastic Member Jack The Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It feels as if the cake wants to be kept while also eating. Anyway I really hope the movie turns out as you want it , although I rather just stick to MCU style of track record that is already clear in the trailer.
    It feels as if you don’t realise what genuine criticism is. For all your talk of unbiased, subjective critique, you are claiming that colour grading is what makes or breaks a shot for a film series you clearly have already set yourself up to dislike. Claiming it doesn’t look like Zhao’s work despite having never seen any of her films. I hope the movie turns out how I want it to, however the difference between us is that I’ll look at it regardless of bias - you will probably force yourself to not like it

  4. #124
    Astonishing Member Castle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    It feels as if you don’t realise what genuine criticism is. For all your talk of unbiased, subjective critique, you are claiming that colour grading is what makes or breaks a shot for a film series you clearly have already set yourself up to dislike. Claiming it doesn’t look like Zhao’s work despite having never seen any of her films. I hope the movie turns out how I want it to, however the difference between us is that I’ll look at it regardless of bias - you will probably force yourself to not like it
    I was been a genuine critic and also nothing I said here was bias, this was the reason I even said, can you imagine if XMEN was in phase 4 and it had trailers like Shang CHI and Eternals that are making people say, phase 4 is boring or bland? that was me been objective because I wanted people to look at this trailer from a completely different angle.
    Claiming it doesn’t look like Zhao’s work despite having never seen any of her films. I hope the movie turns out how I want it to, however the difference between us is that I’ll look at it regardless of bias - you will probably force yourself to not like it
    I have seen the trailers for Nomadland and Eternals. Eternals looks more like an MCU film than Nomadland judging only from the trailers. Also many people here have also said they have not seen Nomadland like the rest of the Oscars films many did not watch.

    The Zhao style hype started not because many saw Nomadland but because Feige said so and some fans are running with that but Feige has also said many things that never turned out as anyone would have envisioned.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-30-2021 at 03:43 AM.

  5. #125
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Nomadland.

    Edit: thank you
    Last edited by Panic; 05-30-2021 at 04:00 AM.

  6. #126
    Fantastic Member chicago_bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    that video clip does not look fully like Eternals. Eternals looks like a clash between Normaland and GOTG with GOTG winning.
    Nomadland also doesn't look fully like Chloe Zhao's earlier film The Rider. What they have in common is that neither had bright and vivid colors, so saying that Eternals looks totally different doesn't make much sense. If a director who is known for a distinctively colorful style like Wes Anderson, Tarsem Singh, or Baz Luhrmann were hired by Feige and made a MCU movie with a muted color palette then you'd have a point, but Chloe Zhao's prior films weren't colorful in the first place so Eternals doesn't feel totally different from Zhao's style.

    In the end you are basing your judgement on two 2-minute-trailers what is a pretty flawed way of criticism. Not to mention that Eternals is still in post-production and we can't even know if this will be the final look. Here is a comparison of the first BW trailer which came out when the movie was still in post-production and the latest trailer which came out when working on the film was completed:

    trailer.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Also maybe you should stop trying to shift the focus only to me. there are many other people who are saying the same thing that the movie looks bland.
    Everyone is entitled to find the visual style of the trailer bland, but aside from you I didn't see anyone else claiming that all MCU movies look the same.

    I think the problem is that you are looking at the Russo movies and put all MCU movies in the same bag. The Russos made four MCU movies and arguably the three most important since 2016 when we consider Civil War was practically an Avengers movie, so their movies are automatically the first that come to mind when one thinks of the MCU. And I agree that their visual style isn't very exciting. But it is the style that the Russos chose and not something Feige ordered them to do. If Feige ordered the movies to look like that then a movie like GOTG Vol. 2 could never have happened because it has a totally different color palette from the Russo movies.

    I give you that there are a couple other MCU films that have a similar color palette to that of the Russo movies, but these were made by directors like Peyton Reed or Jon Watts who don't have their own distinct style and so chose to go with the house style the Russos set for the MCU. Directors like Gunn, Waititi, Whedon, or Branagh who have their own visual style have shown that there is no mandate to follow a similar look with every movie. And with Marvel hiring more and more directors with their own styles like Chloe Zhao, Cate Shortland, or Destin Daniel Cretton this could even increase in the future.

    And when we go away from color grading, which as someone else already pointed out isn't the only metric for how a film looks, then you can see many different artistic choices in the MCU movies. To name only some of the most blatant:

    - For The Avengers Whedon and his DOP didn't use the cinemascope ratio, which is common for blockbuster movies and used for all the other MCU films, but chose a 1.85:1 aspect ratio instead. That is a pretty glaring difference and if Feige wanted all movies to look the same he would have hindered them from using that aspect ratio.

    - For Age of Ultron Whedon used either blue or orange tint for every scene leading to the result that Age of Ultron looks totally different from all other MCU films.

    - Kenneth Branagh used Dutch angle shots very frequently in Thor whereas no other MCU movie used these very striking camera angles to such a degree.

    - Waititi's Thor: Ragnarok used Kirbyesque set designs to an extent no other MCU movie did.

    These were all artistic decisions that were clearly made by the creatives and not by the studio as they lead to the movies looking different to the rest of the MCU.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 05-30-2021 at 08:55 AM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

  7. #127
    Fantastic Member Jack The Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I was been a genuine critic and also nothing I said here was bias, this was the reason I even said, can you imagine if XMEN was in phase 4 and it had trailers like Shang CHI and Eternals that are making people say, phase 4 is boring or bland? that was me been objective because I wanted people to look at this trailer from a completely different angle.


    I have seen the trailers for Nomadland and Eternals. Eternals looks more like an MCU film than Nomadland judging only from the trailers. Also many people here have also said they have not seen Nomadland like the rest of the Oscars films many did not watch.

    The Zhao style hype started not because many saw Nomadland but because Feige said so and some fans are running with that but Feige has also said many things that never turned out as anyone would have envisioned.
    You are not being objective, because the only criticism you seem to have of the film is that it doesn’t have great colour grading and that it’s part of the MCU - you are writing it off due to A) one aspect in a medium that is made up of many visual aspects (which you haven’t tried to address) and B) because it is part of a franchise you do not like - which to you means the director did not have autonomy despite what she herself has said.

    Yes, because the trailer is for something completely different - the trailer for Punch Drunk Love does not look similar to the trailer for There Will Be Blood. What can be glimpsed however, is Zhao’s focus on landscape, setting, outsiders and humanity. Honestly, for someone who claims to know about film, it’s far fetched to assume you know what her style is just by watching trailers for her films lol. Most people are complaining it looks boring, not that it looks like “more of the same”.

    You are wrong - the hype started due to the media in general pointing out that the Oscar winning Chloe Zhao’s next film is a Marvel movie (an obvious way to get clicks).

  8. #128
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I have promoted MCU movies for the most part and liked the ones that didn't insult my intelligence. This just makes me wonder if there really is a movie behind this dreary, uninspiring thing. I really don't care if it succeeds or falls. I don't care if I like even like it or not at this point. The trailer just doesn't have much to offer someone who wants to be really wild about this
    Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    No those people like it.
    I was referencing the video, not the thread.

    I am sorry if that was unclear.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  9. #129
    Incredible Member green_garnish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm more interested in how the movie itself turns out than whether the marketing people did good on the trailers. I mean, in the end, the former the thing of primary importance.
    I agree with this. Ultimately, however it is up to the marketing folks to give me a reason to want to see it and find out.

  10. #130
    Incredible Member green_garnish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    there are many other people who are saying
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Also many people here have also said
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    You are not being objective
    I would have thought that by now we could all agree that this is the basis for the ultimate objective argument.

  11. #131
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I have promoted MCU movies for the most part and liked the ones that didn't insult my intelligence. This just makes me wonder if there really is a movie behind this dreary, uninspiring thing. I really don't care if it succeeds or falls. I don't care if I like even like it or not at this point. The trailer just doesn't have much to offer someone who wants to be really wild about this
    I'm sorry but I've seen the trailer, what about it is supposed to be insulting to my intelligence?
    It looks like a typical trailer so I don't see what about it makes you so worked up like this, I don't see what makes it supposedly dreary.

  12. #132
    Incredible Member green_garnish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I'm sorry but I've seen the trailer, what about it is supposed to be insulting to my intelligence?
    It looks like a typical trailer so I don't see what about it makes you so worked up like this, I don't see what makes it supposedly dreary.
    I didn't say the trailer insulted my intelligence. I said there were some MCU movies that did.

  13. #133
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I didn't say the trailer insulted my intelligence. I said there were some MCU movies that did.
    I still stand by everything else I've said, you make this sound so much worse than it is.
    It's a typical trailer not even a full trailer just a teaser.

  14. #134
    Incredible Member green_garnish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I still stand by everything else I've said, you make this sound so much worse than it is.
    It's a typical trailer not even a full trailer just a teaser.
    There are few trailers that insult my intelligence. That's not what they are meant to appeal to. They are meant (in my mind) to provide a visceral mini-experienc of what I can expect from the finished product. The finished product will be more refined of course, but I would refer you back to the GotG trailer I posted earlier. There's nothing in the Eternals trailer that suggests this is an experience I personally want to experience.

    I reserve my right to change my mind. This trailer might just be badly executed of a film that is wonderful. I hope it is.

  15. #135
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    There are few trailers that insult my intelligence. That's not what they are meant to appeal to. They are meant (in my mind) to provide a visceral mini-experienc of what I can expect from the finished product. The finished product will be more refined of course, but I would refer you back to the GotG trailer I posted earlier. There's nothing in the Eternals trailer that suggests this is an experience I personally want to experience.

    I reserve my right to change my mind. This trailer might just be badly executed of a film that is wonderful. I hope it is.
    I will say again I stand by what I said you make the trailer sound so much that it is
    If it didn't interest you that's fine but frankly you're blowing it out of proportion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •