Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I think the joke was added to establish the level of familiarity between the characters and help the audience warm up to them. They come off look like a family joking around the table over dinner and it enables us to sympathize with them as a group.
    Yeah, I think that sums it up pretty well. The MCU series has done a generally good job of keeping their characters extremely relatable, no matter how fantastic. A group of people who've lived for eons and perceive time on a vastly different scale will be pretty hard to connect with without giving them some kind of humanity to latch onto, such as them joking around the table (or, for that matter, that there's going to be a couple of love stories in the mix).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I would almost bet money that the scene with the joke about Captain Rogers and Ikaris leading is not actually inside of the movie, It is one those things that they put inside of trailers that don't up show in the movies.

BANNED

I think some are been too apologetic of a bad joke that just did not land well.

Also I don't get the argument of familiarity. Marvel studios is an entity at this point, there is no need to remind audiences of something that should be already familiar. it's contradictory.

Based on fact Captain Rogers was trending on twitter after the trailer, I think the joke and reference land well enough
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-08-2021 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Humor is subjective.

Also I don't get the argument of familiarity. Marvel studios is an entity at this point, there is no need to remind audiences of something that should be already familiar. it's contradictory.
    You're not making any sense here; the Eternals characters are brand new and not that many people know about them.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

You're not making any sense here; the Eternals characters are brand new and not that many people know about them.
    I never agree with Castle ... yet here we are ...

If you flash STAR WARS up on the screen, people have a general idea what they're going to get.

I believe that is where Castle is coming from. When the MARVEL logo plays, you generally know what you're going to get. The MCU has made more money than any other movie franchise in history. They don't even really need to put out trailers much past a teaser to get people to come. We know it is Marvel because they flash the logo, TWICE, in the teaser. We know generally what we're going to get. Something decent to great.

The tacked-on Avengers joke is needlessly ... tacked-on. Perhaps it plays better in movie? Time will tell ...
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-08-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The argument of familiarity that was made was about familiarity between the characters, not between the studio and the audience. It's the capstone to all the sweeping vistas and dramatic staring in the trailer: They're a family that talks about things and ribs eachother around the dinner table.
    Last edited by Thezmage; 06-08-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    The rgument of familiarity that was made was about familiarity between the characters, not between the studio and the audience. It's the capstone to all the sweeping vistas and dramatic staring in the traile: They're a family that talks about things and ribs eachother around the dinner table.
    Yes, pretty much. It conveys a lot of information about their relationship in a palatable, relatable way.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I said “familiarity between the characters”. I was pointing out that they’re obviously familiar with each other to the point where they can laugh at inside jokes about each other. That helps to establish the closeness of their relationship to one another without a lot of exposition and dialogue.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

This is really getting ridiculous. It's like proposing Winter Soldier was an action comedy because Cap said "On your left" and Black Widow blew a bubble gum bubble

Personally I was kinda turned on that Black Widow is a Hubba Bubba girl.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    This is really getting ridiculous. It's like proposing Winter Soldier was an action comedy because Cap said "On your left" and Black Widow blew a bubble gum bubble
    Friend Castle is very locked into his own unique perspective, however well that perspective fits the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Personally I was kinda turned on that Black Widow is a Hubba Bubba girl.
    It was the perfect way to reveal that she had been the one to "steal" the drive, IMHO.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Humor is subjective.

Not really. Not even in MCU movies. Humor is not all subjective, this is the reason Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron and even Thor Ragnarok and Endgame, we have seen a significant amount of fans talk about how the humor hinders or hurt those films.

Also the origins or purpose of the humor is what usually causes cringing among people. Many people don't take kindly when humor is used to dumb down a story or a moment.

Humor is good, I think even dark or dramatic movies should still some have humor but only when it is used well or in the right place.

Not really. Not even in MCU movies. Humor is not all subjective, this is the reason Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron and even Thor Ragnarok and Endgame, we have seen a significant amount of fans talk about how the humor hinders or hurt those films.

Also the origins or purpose of the humor is what usually causes cringing among people. Many people don't take kindly when humor is used to dumb down a story or a moment.

Humor is good, I think even dark or dramatic movies should still some have humor but only when it is used well or in the right place.
    Seeing as the general public quite enjoyed the humour in those movies, it clearly shows humour is subjective
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 06-09-2021 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Seeing as the general public quite enjoyed the humour in those movies, it clearly shows humour is subjective
    Yea but Castle didnt like it so he Pulls a Trump and says Many people are saying, I've heard. In an attempt to justify his own unpopular opinion. This has been going on for years under multiple screen names. Unfortunately when you block someone you still have to see everything they say quoted in other people's post. But you would think someone with such unpopular opinions would at some point learn the difference between subjective and objective truths.