Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I will say again I stand by what I said you make the trailer sound so much that it is
    If it didn't interest you that's fine but frankly you're blowing it out of proportion
    I'm saying it didn't make the movie seem very interesting. To me. If it looks interesting to you, that's wonderful.

It's a teaser. It's purpose is not to give a condensed version of the movie, but to introduce the Eternals concept to an audience completely unaware of them. I think it does this; it shows that there are a group of immortals with high technology and powers that have lived beside humanity in secret since the Stone Age, remembered only as myths, until now, when an undisclosed event forces them to change their modus operandi and reveal themselves.

I think it works, I think it is the right move to give the general public just the basics at first, and to let them see the actors that it is using, and I think holding back the specifics of the mystery event that changes everything until the next trailer is a good move. Now if the main trailer doesn't go into specifics and make a good percentage of people want to see the film, if it doesn't seem like a spectacular action-packed thrill-ride that must be seen on the big-screen, THEN Marvel will have dropped the ball, imo. At the moment I think it's going fine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It's a teaser. It's purpose is not to give a condensed version of the movie, but to introduce the Eternals concept to an audience completely unaware of them. I think it does this;
    For me it didn't do this, as someone who actually is unfamiliar with this group.. I see a team with no purpose, no motivation.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-30-2021 at 02:23 PM.

I see a boring trailer (with a cool 50's song) about a privileged smug group of people who say they helped , but don't interfere (???) And indeed appear to be doing nothing, but dance, stand and sit around being self-important.

It's only a teaser, but I find little I want to root for. Where's the Marvel underdog, gifted , but cursed with power? Where's the Marvel top dog made to be humble?

The Eternals were a Kirby creation that was never intended for the Marvel universe. Personally the only thing the Eternals had going for me in the comic was the Kirby art; which I see nothing of here.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    For me it didn't do this, as someone who actually is unfamiliar with this group.. I see a team with no purpose, no motivation.
    I'm not really familiar with them, either. I've had to read up on them. I own about 1,800 Marvel comics, and only 1 is an Eternals issue (from the 90's). However, I don't rely on teasers to get me hooked. I see this teaser as a reminder to follow future releases which will tell us more. Doesn't take too much time to do a quick net search, either. And considering the teaser is visually appealing with some star power, I'm hopeful. Heck, I'm going to watch this flick simply based on Salma Hayek. The dudes from House Stark ought to make it fun as well, since I only know them from GOT.

It's opening further the cosmic portion of the MCU. Bring on the Celestials, maybe even a young Thanos and Starfox. The more, the merrier.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

BANNED

I still just don't see the problems people have here
    It's a teaser, they're not gonna outline the characters motivations and history right off the bat.

I still just don't see the problems people have here
    It's a teaser, they're not gonna outline the characters motivations and history right off the bat.
    Exactly. You'd think fans would know well enough by now.

BANNED

Just saying that other MCU first teasers made me interested in them. This one doesn't. But that's me.

Just saying that other MCU first teasers made me interested in them. This one doesn't. But that's me.
    No worries. I wasn't initially sold on GOTG but they won me over with the first flick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    No worries. I wasn't initially sold on GOTG but they won me over with the first flick.
    Me too actually. But the first teaser didn't leave me feeling ambivalent. Just how will they make this work?

Ultimate Member

I don't really base my expectations on trailers. They don't necessarily reflect the quality of the movies, so i reserve my judgement

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't really base my expectations on trailers. They don't necessarily reflect the quality of the movies, so i reserve my judgement
    Trailers definitely help me determine whether I want to spend money on the movie. That's why I paid to see every Marvel movie in the theater but waited to see most DC movies at home.

Ultimate Member

Trailers definitely help me determine whether I want to spend money on the movie. That's why I paid to see every Marvel movie in the theater but waited to see most DC movies at home.
    Ok. I feel trailers can be misleading so I like to wait for early reviews to get a better sense of the movie

I will say again I stand by what I said you make the trailer sound so much that it is
    If it didn't interest you that's fine but frankly you're blowing it out of proportion
    He really IST blowing anything out of proportion.

So it is 100% percent fine to go I saw the trailer, It didn't impress me and I am not hype for the movie but if you are going I watch the trailer which was a teaser and are going "This trailer represent what the movie is going to be like I am not going to watch it" to me that is kinda stupid. And here is why

1.What is the story for the movie? After watching the trailer what is the movie about? Can you tell me? The trailer gave no real story details about the overall arc of the movie.

2.How many action beats does it show? Who are the Eternals fighting? What can any of the Eternals actually do in terms of superpowers? A superhero movie is typically an action/drama hybrid what does the action look like?

If you have been following Eternals you can make some guess but if you are person who has just watch the trailer, It really hasn't shown anything .Quite frankly I wish it could stay this way but sadly Marvel marketing guys has to listen to feedback which means they are probably going put out a trailer showing off the action and too many movies today do this and show off a little too much in trailers. The most egregious case I have ever seen of this was Terminator Genesis which drop a huge spoiler which we did not need to see it. It wasn't something that was going to make the movie better but we didn't need to know that John Connor was the bad guy and robot in the trailer. It would be a nice surprise to keep hidden. If given the choice being seeing to little and seeing too much then answer is too little imo.