Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Never interfered until now, hard to explain with the whole snap thing.

Doesn't really look like anything I haven't seen before in a big Hollywood popcorn movie.

The Eternals were never really that funny (except for Sersi in Avengers) so I don't know how the standard "quippy Marvel humor" we get in every film will even work here.

I feel like the Celestials will have as much screen time as Dormammu did in "Dr. Strange," not enough to get me hyped.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    They could have a Prime Directive law as the Star Trek Universe.

With the snap thing. take it as continuity just actually snapping. MCU is already very inconsistent , it was only a matter of time, they start to ignore some of their own plotlines in other films when they are on new films.

This is the reason. comic films are just better in their own self contained universe.

The trailer didn't excite me and I was disappointed that they didn't show any Celestials. I anticipate Black Widow more.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

It's definitely a flat trailer for an unknown group of characters. No stunning action. No hooks for the characters or plot. Odd choice.

That line is weird after they literally talk about and show how they've interfered throughout time.

Was Kitt Harrington in the trailer at all? Is his part that small?

Astonishing Member

To me this looks really cool

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Gotta say, it was hard to get Inhumans out of my head looking at this.
    That's my problem in a nutshell. I keep getting the Eternals and the Inhumans mixed up.

I don't know these characters. I never read Kirby. I'm only vaguely aware of a character named Cersi, who I think was involved with the Black Knight.

This movie looks pretty, and I'll watch it, but I won't be excited by it. There is really nothing in that trailer to hook me. And I keep thinking the lead actor is Sebastian Stan.

They could have all been snapped away. The (Almost) Eternals.

The cinemtagrophy and effects look beautiful.

Is that old school Black Knight at 1:12? And a Deviant at 1:19?

It looks like Sersi and Ikaris is basically Sersi and Makkari in that they've been these centuries-spanning lovers who eventually drifted apart, while I guess Dane is her current boyfriend?

"Captain Rogers" Feels so much more clunky than just calling him Captain America, especially when Sprite uses "Iron Man.

Guess it's continuing that Phase 4 myth arc of the future of The Avengers...

The gag at the end was pretty fun. However I'm still lukewarm on the film. Maybe another trailer will change my mind. It would've been cool if the Eternals popped up post Infinity War but before Endgame. It could've been a fun way to explore the post-Snap world.

Carol could wait...XD.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-24-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think giving more of the "look and feel" and cinematography aspect of the movie is what this trailer is going for. Tiny introduction of the cast individually. This is an extremely obscure corner of the Marvel universe in general.

Even hardcore comics fans don't necessarily have much reference for these characters in general other than Sersi really. So there is to be expected going to be some introduction, some exposition, and explanation of who they are, what their purpose is, why they haven't done more with all the threats humanity have faced in the MCU to date.

I will obviously see it. The cast is stellar, the director is a recent Oscar winner. It's a completely new segment of the MCU cosmic. I think you take this and the Shang Chi trailer side by side. You kind of get a lot of plot and action in Shang Chi. To me thats needed there , here I don't need them to tell me who the "villian" is in the Eternals trailer. Since they have so much other ground to cover. Id be fine with them not showing any more on that front until its out.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 05-24-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Was Kitt Harrington in the trailer at all? Is his part that small?
    His character isn't an Eternal so he won't be at the beginning. He shows up as Sersi's (Gemma Chan) love interest at the end of the trailer. His character becomes an Avenger eventually, so there's room for him to grow in the MCU.

I'm guessing the Eternals used mix in among humans and then something happened at some point. I feel like the Eternals have been used as plot devices for a bunch of MCU events so I'm not sure which ones they'll decide to pick and choose from.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I think giving more of the "look and feel" and cinematography aspect of the movie is what this trailer is going for. Tiny introduction of the cast individually. This is an extremely obscure corner of the Marvel universe in general.

Even hardcore comics fans don't necessarily have much reference for these characters in general other than Sersi really. So there is to be expected going to be some introduction, some exposition, and explanation of who they are, what their purpose is, why they haven't done more with all the threats humanity have faced in the MCU to date.

I will obviously see it. The cast is stellar, the director is a recent Oscar winner. It's a completely new segment of the MCU cosmic. I think you take this and the Shang Chi trailer side by side. You kind of get a lot of plot and action in Shang Chi. To me thats needed there , here I don't need them to tell me who the "villian" is in the Eternals trailer. Since they have so much other ground to cover. Id be fine with them not showing any more on that front until its out.
    I do think that part of what they are playing up is the "WTF are these guys?" and don't want to give anything away. If it were like the 2nd Marvel movie then it would be a risky proposition, but Marvel knows people will go see it now anyway. Plus they have an A-Lister and Several B-Listers in the cast as insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It feels less Kirby esq and more Gaiman-y to me.

Still don't know what to make of this.
    I like the Kirby Celesials the most. Gaiman's were a good intro for people not in the know IMHO. So I think the choice to go the Gaiman route is a good one. We can get the crazy Kirby stuff later!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I really wouldn't mind another big screen Gaiman film, *if* that was their intent all along.
    Like I said in the post above, going with the Gaiman Eternals would be a good hook for new people.

An aside ...

Is it just me or did that trailer scream, "OSCAR BAIT" to anyone else? The style of shot compositions, blocking, palettes, cucoloris, and other technical aspects they showed were things you see in epic Oscar nominees (I immediately thought of Crouching Tiger's first trailer) of the past.

EDIT to add:
    Nope, it wasn't just me! It already has Oscar buzz.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Fantastic Member

I think them not interfering with the events of Avengers 1, Ultron and the snap will be a big plotline of the story. I think we'll definitely see a Thanos flashback as well which could be shown in the first full trailer. I really know nothing about these characters. I know I read some series a while back, maybe a Civil War tie in? I can see the lack of hype, but I'm also super intrigued to see it. Kind of glad I have no idea what to expect.