Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Ok this was funny it would be nice to get this type of writing in the main Super comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Ok this was funny it would be nice to get this type of writing in the main Super comics.
    *sigh* Indeed, oh well, at least we get it here.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This was one of the most fun Superman comics in years. It’s ridiculous and fun.
    Fair enough, I'm glad you enjoyed what the issue had to offer. To be transparent, the main reasons for my criticisms are that I'm burnt out on politicised comics and that I'm not a big fan of the mainline Superman comics. I'm waiting to see what this series has to offer first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Considering the vast majority of Superman comics DC publishes have absolutely nothing to do with Trump, I think there's nothing wrong with DC giving readers a handful that do, particularly with a character like Lobo, who was specifically designed for parody and satire.

We've had decades upon decades of completely apolitical Superman comics, despite the fact that Seigel & Shuster's original character was steeped in politics. The character can be both. If this kind of thing isn't to your tastes, fair enough, but nobody is forcing you to read it. I mean, Superman '78 is pretty much exactly what you're talking about. It's about as straight-forward and fun as a Superman comic can get. Why not simply read that instead?
    I'm not a big Lobo fan but he's supposed to be an over-the-top pastiche of the grim and gritty superhero trend. I don't know why Seeley decided to use Lobo as an outlet to vent his criticisms of Trump since despite Lobo's brash and abrasive personality, he doesn't share much in common with a Trump supporter.

You're absolutely right, and I've enjoyed re-reading those older Superman stories since Bendis took over. I read Vendititi's Man of Tomorrow trade a couple of weeks back, and I'll probably trade wait Superman '78, so thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying not to do what I did during Bendis' run where I pointlessly argued with the users on here who enjoyed the then current Superman run.

Fantastic Member

I have higher hopes for this at least than I do for the Crush/Lobo series.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    I have higher hopes for this at least than I do for the Crush/Lobo series.
    From what I’ve seen of that book it seems like Lobo is barely in it. It’s just Crush being angsty.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    From what I’ve seen of that book it seems like Lobo is barely in it. It’s just Crush being angsty.
    Self-depreciating, actually.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    You're absolutely right, and I've enjoyed re-reading those older Superman stories since Bendis took over. I read Vendititi's Man of Tomorrow trade a couple of weeks back, and I'll probably trade wait Superman '78, so thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying not to do what I did during Bendis' run where I pointlessly argued with the users on here who enjoyed the then current Superman run.
    That's the way I approach reading comics, too.

It also helps me not participate in the fan discussion of certain comics I do enjoy. For instance, I'm loving Taylor & Renondo's Nightwing and Cloonan's Wonder Woman, but I sure as hell ain't going to step foot near the Batman or Wonder Woman boards to have all my enthusiasm for those comics crushed by the incessant complaints about whatever decades-old plot point or character development those fans are constantly harping on. Unfortunately, that's happening with Superman: Son of Kal-El now. I'm enjoying that book, but the discussion of it is a non-stop debate over the decision to age up Jonathan Kent.

It seems that there's more Superman stuff on the horizon you might enjoy, too. Doc Shaner has been teasing a 60s era Lois & Clark comic that I simply must have.

I really liked this book. A lot more than I expected actually. I think my expectations were in line with something more irreverent or "adult" given the team behind it, but it was a really solid Superman book. Some great Daily Planet moments as well - with actual commentary on the media! Though it stung a little to see Perry White of all people advocating for "both sides" type takes on Luthor. They wrote a great Lois too.

Funny how Seeley being very over the top ended up addressing "real issues" better than Taylor. But I probably liked Lois here the most. Either way, good start.

Edit: Is DC seriously thinking about turning Toyman into a paedophile? This is second story this month that kinda hinted at it. Yes, both are out of continuity, but still.
    Last edited by HsssH; 08-26-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Funny how Seeley being very over the top ended up addressing "real issues" better than Taylor. But I probably liked Lois here the most. Either way, good start.

Edit: Is DC seriously thinking about turning Toyman into a paedophile? This is second story this month that kinda hinted at it. Yes, both are out of continuity, but still.
    He's been a diddler before. It's not a new take, but it's one I am never happy to see return.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Though it stung a little to see Perry White of all people advocating for "both sides" type takes on Luthor.
    There really doesn't seem to be much consensus on how big of an asshole Perry White is amongst creators. I've always seen him as cranky, but there's always a heart of gold underneath all the bluster.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

There really doesn't seem to be much consensus on how big of an asshole Perry White is amongst creators. I've always seen him as cranky, but there's always a heart of gold underneath all the bluster.
    Yeah, some writers think he's a slightly chubbier J Jonah Jameson, when he's anything but. My ideal Perry is like the one on Lois and Clark, sans the Elvis fandom of course. Lol.

This was fun for what it was, but I agree the politics maybe a bit too much on the nose, but the fun sort of outweighed it for me. Maybe I'm just starved for more classic Supes these days given how things are going in the main books that I'm more forgiving. The Perry thing bothered me a little I admit.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 08-27-2021 at 04:27 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

j Jonah jameson is the problem perry white is facing.Even though perry white is the original.jameson has become far more popular and dare i say i conic.It's like the father has come under the shadow of his son.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Yeah, some writers think he's a slightly chubbier J Jonah Jameson, when he's anything but. My ideal Perry is like the one on Lois and Clark, sans the Elvis fandom of course. Lol.

This was fun for what it was, but I agree the politics maybe a bit too much on the nose, but the fun sort of outweighed it for me. Maybe I'm just starved for more classic Supes these days given how things are going in the main books that I'm more forgiving. The Perry thing bothered me a little I admit.
    It was more the journalistic aspect than being an asshole. He's always some level of a jerk to everyone, but generally - to my knowledge - is a more idealized old school journalist given Lois & Clark both typically are looking at him as a mentor.

I don’t think he should be a complete ass like Jonah, but I also think that in the current world Perry is absolutely going to prioritize the Daily Planet’s survival above everything else. That means we get a good organic source of drama between Perry and L&C, something we need to keep things interesting.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/