Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe it will sell as well as . . . DC Universe Presents?

What percentage of modern day comic book readers even care about anthology type books with rotating writers, artists, and characters?
    Granted... there was no Jim Lee or Geoff Johns level talent involved in DC Comics Presents or any A-list characters.
    To the average comics fan, it was a throwaway title with no bearing on anything else.
    Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X run is what made Marvel Comics Presents last longer than it should have.

Wednesday Comics was a big hit and while every bit of it was worthy of attention, the Azzarello/Risso Batman is what got people to try it.

If DC or Marvel wanted to do an anthology, it is possible. You just have to put something in them that the fans feel is important enough not to miss.
    Maybe a tie-in to an event... maybe a regular Batman feature that's in continuity.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-24-2014 at 05:57 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    . . . If DC or Marvel wanted to do an anthology, it is possible. You just have to put something in them that the fans feel is important enough not to miss.
    Maybe a tie-in to an event... maybe a regular Batman feature that's in continuity.
    Don't we have enough of those things already?

Don't we have enough of those things already?
    Well... true...
    But unfortunately, that's the only way an anthology book would work.

Well... true...
    But unfortunately, that's the only way an anthology book would work.
    Meaning . . . it wouldn't really be worth it to DC.

Meaning . . . it wouldn't really be worth it to DC.
    The only benefit is if they wanted to build up interest in lesser characters before launching a solo series of their own.
    Otherwise, no... because they could just do another Batman title instead.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    That could actually be a really fun book! Just as long as it doesnt get taken over by various Superman or Batman tales.
    Sadly I don't think the series would last long without Batman and Superman headlining. It would have to be a multiverse book featuring the alternate versions of Batman or something like that. Comic book fans demand originality but the majority won't stray away from Batman, the Avengers, X Men, etc.

Astonishing Member

Captain Carrot should definitely remain on Prime Earth ... preferably mounted on a wall in Luthor's HQ.

Well, an anthropomorphic, talking super rabbit isn't the strangest thing DC has done. Hell, its not even the strangest thing they've done recently. So if it had a premise I found interesting and a creative team I didnt despise, I might give it a shot. It would probably take a lot to make me stick around but who knows? Could be the next Starman. But we're one issue into Multiversity, let's wait a little bit before we start calling for Captain Carrot to stick around in the main continuity. Let's see if he has anything more to him than a funny one liner and gag-joke appearance.

As for an anthology series (or something) exploring the multiverse, it's quite possible we'll get that when Multiversity ends. If it's popular enough, DC might just keep the "team" together (though with a different writer of course). And personally, I'd love that. It'd keep President Superman around, as well as offer a chance for characters from earths prime and 2 to hang out. Vibe could find a home there. And it'd likely be the best place for Captain Carrot to stay. Rocket Raccoon's fifteen minutes of fame notwithstanding, the market's not very friendly towards characters like Carrot.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

As an "outsider" now I don't have anything in the game anymore, but that sounds like a lot of "Metooism" to me. If they wanted to push an intelligent often misunderstood animal hero why wouldn't they use Detective Chimp? They had no problem using him Post Crisis before 52 started.

BANNED

Maybe it will sell as well as . . . DC Universe Presents?

What percentage of modern day comic book readers even care about anthology type books with rotating writers, artists, and characters?
    Not enough to be worth it.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think it'd be cool for Captain Carrot to hang around for a while on Earth-0 the way that the KINGDOM COME Superman hung out on Post-INFINITE CRISIS Earth for a time. Eventually, however, Captain Carrot would need to return to his own element to consistently be represented at his best.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Yeah, set in a plot device that he becomes more suseptable to real world physics and such the longer he's on Prime Earth. You can have a tear inducing send off as he gets shot or something and is dying, necessitating his return. Just think the end of Last Action Hero :-P

Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X run is what made Marvel Comics Presents last longer than a year.
    Considering Weapon X didn't start until issue 72 of that book I very much doubt that fact. Unless Marvel Comics Presents was published twice a week and I'm quite sure that wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    Considering Weapon X didn't start until issue 72 of that book I very much doubt that fact. Unless Marvel Comics Presents was published twice a week and I'm quite sure that wasn't the case.
    My bad.
    Anyway, Wolverine and the X-Men lead each issue is what sold it.

It wouldn't have lasted half as long as it did, if not for that.
    And the Weapon X story was a huge boost to it's longevity. It was Wolverine AND important.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-24-2014 at 05:56 AM.

My bad.
    Anyway, Wolverine and the X-Men lead each issue is what sold it.

It wouldn't have lasted half as long as it did, if not for that.
    And the Weapon X story was a huge boost to it's longevity. It was Wolverine AND important.
    No doubt about that. The big question is if a similar book with Batman and sometimes other major heroes headlining and minor heroes in the back-ups would work in today's market. The price would probably be a big concern as it would quickly end up quite expensive.