Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Morlun, if he got some credibility back, could definitely head a Marvel wide event. Use the same premise as Absolute Carnage (i.e he is hunting all totem heroes) and boom, you can get something huge.

Aside from him? I honestly have a hard time. Venom is no longer a villain. Octopus could, but right now his villain status needs to be rebuilt. Green Goblin needs no mention. I think the Chameleon and Mysterio could come up with something elaborate. Some new tech or tricks could certainly amp Mysterio to Event villain, but he would need proper build up to that since right now he really doesn't have credibility.

Mighty Member

Kingsley. He needs to distract all the NY heroes to commit whatever crime, so he provides heavy duty upgrades in armor and armament to a number of villains as long as they wreck stuff on his schedule.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Kingpin. He orchestrates a gang war to weaken all the others before taking back the reigns of the NY underworld.
    You're kind of in the ball park of storyline past but adding an angle unique to a "sequel". A mob Gang War storyline was done back in the late 80s.
    ASM_Gang_War.jpg

I don't think an MCU wide mobster/crime boss storyline has been done but I could go for that.
    It could stretch across Spider-man, Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight, Ms.Marvel, Fantastic Four, Spider-woman, Iron Man and Wolverine and/or Deadpool.

I also am a fan of the Jason Macendale Jack O'Lantern. I just really dig that characters look as a variant to the other gliders. Not that he's one to vie for Crime boss but someone brought him up.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    You're kind of in the ball park of storyline past but adding an angle unique to a "sequel". A mob Gang War storyline was done back in the late 80s.
    ASM_Gang_War.jpg

I don't think an MCU wide mobster/crime boss storyline has been done but I could go for that.
    It could stretch across Spider-man, Daredevil, Punisher, Moon Knight, Ms.Marvel, Fantastic Four, Spider-woman, Iron Man and Wolverine and/or Deadpool.

I also am a fan of the Jason Macendale Jack O'Lantern. I just really dig that characters look as a variant to the other gliders. Not that he's one to vie for Crime boss but someone brought him up.
    I would keep the FF and Avengers out of it...but all the street level heroes. Spidey, DD, Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, Moon Knight, Luke and Danny, Jessica Jones, Cap/Bucky/Falcon, Cloak and Dagger, Hawkeye (both) and Mockingbird, Power Pack, as well as associated characters like Teresa Parker, Elektra, Blindspot, Patriot (both), Porcupine, etc...

well at this point Kingpin is at the center of a lot of stuff. Make him run for higher office. And win. Then half heroes have to figure out how to legally oppose/expose him, while the others want to, physically attack and overthrow him regardless of the optics. That's the story I'd write, anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    well at this point Kingpin is at the center of a lot of stuff. Make him run for higher office. And win.
    1) Would be a retread of Osborn as Head of Hammer.

2) Trump-era is over, so not sure what the point of such a message is now because the moment for Trump-allegories for the time being has receded. As it is, it seems Fisk's time as Mayor will end eventually, either in Zdarsky's run or Spencer's, but it feels like it's winding down and not revving up.

3) Kingpin is specifically a New York City-centric villain, not a USA villain. Making him Prez would take him in a direction that doesn't make sense with him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    3) Kingpin is specifically a New York City-centric villain, not a USA villain. Making him Prez would take him in a direction that doesn't make sense with him.
    He's made international ventures before. I still remember his fight with the Red Skull.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    He's made international ventures before. I still remember his fight with the Red Skull.
    Kingpin beat the Red Skull, if I recall right. American (gangster) capitalism vs. Nazism (or more generalized fascism, depending on the Red Skull's mood at the time).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    well at this point Kingpin is at the center of a lot of stuff. Make him run for higher office. And win. Then half heroes have to figure out how to legally oppose/expose him, while the others want to, physically attack and overthrow him regardless of the optics. That's the story I'd write, anyway.
    The dude is Mayor of New York City.

He probably doesn't need higher office.

But the story where they take him down could be a big event.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Morlun, if he got some credibility back, could definitely head a Marvel wide event. Use the same premise as Absolute Carnage (i.e he is hunting all totem heroes) and boom, you can get something huge.

Aside from him? I honestly have a hard time. Venom is no longer a villain. Octopus could, but right now his villain status needs to be rebuilt. Green Goblin needs no mention. I think the Chameleon and Mysterio could come up with something elaborate. Some new tech or tricks could certainly amp Mysterio to Event villain, but he would need proper build up to that since right now he really doesn't have credibility.
    Thinking about it more, Chameleon makes more sense for a "It was Dmitri all along type reveal."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Nick Lowe....

- Jason G. Carr

Probably off-topic, but I loved it when Spidey ran to the Avengers and tattled on the Punisher

Astonishing Member

More Green Goblin events please, and by that I mean 'Green Goblin' and not Norman Osborn. The Norman from Dark Reign was practically a different character from the one in Spider-Man comics. Bendis has tried to reinvent Norman Osborn on two occasions now (Ultimate and Dark Reign), and it's very telling that neither of those stuck while Ditko's take on the Green Goblin continues to live on.

I mean, Green Goblin MU events practically write themselves. He is the "dark" trickster to Spider-Man's "good" trickster. You would expect him to mock and gaslight other heroes the way Spider-Man mocks and gaslights other villains. You would expect the Avengers to function as essentially his version of the Sinister Six (I like the idea of Tony Stark being Norman's equivalent to Ock, #2 archenemy and all, but so far no one has explored that idea), or more interactions between him and Red Skull given how frequently Spider-Man interacts with Captain America. You would expect more parallels between Green Goblin and Loki the way JMS did parallels between Loki and Spider-Man. Lastly, if Spider-Man is about growth and a late 20s Spider-Man is now one of the most competent heroes in the MU (at least when he is written well), you would expect a similar trend with the Green Goblin.

Outside of Warren Ellits' Thunderbolts, I don't know if any MU-wide comics has taken advantage of the Green Goblin like that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    More Green Goblin events please, and by that I mean 'Green Goblin' and not Norman Osborn. The Norman from Dark Reign was practically a different character from the one in Spider-Man comics. Bendis has tried to reinvent Norman Osborn on two occasions now (Ultimate and Dark Reign), and it's very telling that neither of those stuck while Ditko's take on the Green Goblin continues to live on.

I mean, Green Goblin MU events practically write themselves. He is the "dark" trickster to Spider-Man's "good" trickster. You would expect him to mock and gaslight other heroes the way Spider-Man mocks and gaslights other villains. You would expect the Avengers to function as essentially his version of the Sinister Six (I like the idea of Tony Stark being Norman's equivalent to Ock, #2 archenemy and all, but so far no one has explored that idea), or more interactions between him and Red Skull given how frequently Spider-Man interacts with Captain America. You would expect more parallels between Green Goblin and Loki the way JMS did parallels between Loki and Spider-Man. Lastly, if Spider-Man is about growth and a late 20s Spider-Man is now one of the most competent heroes in the MU (at least when he is written well), you would expect a similar trend with the Green Goblin.

Outside of Warren Ellits' Thunderbolts, I don't know if any MU-wide comics has taken advantage of the Green Goblin like that.
    Honestly, Bendis' Osborn was far more threatening and entertaining than the Green Goblin was. It's amazing how limiting his obsession with Peter Parker improved his character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Honestly, Bendis' Osborn was far more threatening and entertaining than the Green Goblin was. It's amazing how limiting his obsession with Peter Parker improved his character.
    I found Bendis' Osborn to be far more boring and predictable than the Norman we saw in works like Marvel Knights: Spider-Man. The Norman from that book would have been significantly more threatening than Bendis' had he gained the same privileges and legal power.

As for why someone of Norman's status would be obsessed with Peter Parker, that's easy. He is Norman's foil due to his unpredictability and use of humor and wits in battle. That and he is significantly more connected to ordinary people than the Avengers, which someone like Norman would find problematic because it means Peter can inspire more people (look at the number of Spider-Heroes that popped up since Peter put on the mask compared to other mantle-sharers).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-31-2021 at 12:45 PM.

You can argue that classical Green Goblin is better or that you like it more, but I find it disingenuous to argue that Bendis' reinvention of Norman for Dark Reign "didn't stuck" it ran its course and was successful at the time. Many people remember it fondly and for a good deal of the fanbase that isn't too deep into Spider-Man, that version was one of the peaks of the character. Never again had Norman Osborn been such a massive threat.