Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Shilo is a Hebrew name that means One to Whom Belongs or Messiah in the Bible. Shilo was an orphan and escaped an abusive orphanage to look for a place o belong to. So in a sense that does fit his name.

He is a Jack Kirby creation.
    I think he meant spoilers:
    N'vir Free
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Re: the spoiler character - why would anyone, especially those parents, give their kid that name? I might take a look, but perhaps there's more going on that will be revealed later on about that person's identity. (I've never heard of that character before either)
    Yeah, I'm betting on a fakeout.

There’s no way that “daughter” is who she says she is. Otherwise it was a good issue, fantastic art, Shilo has a relatability to him while still being flawed (he’s self-centered and doesn’t really take Denise into consideration when talking), and I loved the NDA bit he made her sign. That kind of fantastical yet in-universe logical kind of storytelling reminds me of Astro City.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Well although, I was disappointed that it is not Scott (Partially because I'm not a fan of Tom King's run)

As a legacy character, it's good to see that Shilo fans will be able to see him in the spotlight for once.

Shilo is a Hebrew name that means One to Whom Belongs or Messiah in the Bible. Shilo was an orphan and escaped an abusive orphanage to look for a place o belong to. So in a sense that does fit his name.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think he meant spoilers:
    N'vir Free
    end of spoilers
    Yes I was, not Shilo. It just doesn't seem like a name those two would give their kid.

I think they may have been referring to "N'vir Free."
    I agree, I don't know why anyone would name their kid that, but especially Scott Free and Barda. Doesn't work with their backstory or personalities at all.
    Especially when in the Tom King run they named their son "Jacob," referencing an escape route from a pit in Apokolips that was called Jacob's Ladder, so essentially their son was named after escaping to freedom. I don't know if the King story is canon (and I kinda hope not,) but it's there just the same.

I like Shiloh and am glad that they're bringing him back. IMO, it's always felt that both he and Scott can share the name, not like one's replacing the other. I hope they allow Shiloh to grow as a character and don't just focus on politics. Give the character a good story to develop him.

So he's kind of like Booster Gold but dealing with racial issues.
    My thought as well. I think Sideways also did this kind of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Oh ok. Because I just thought Shilo being the adopted son of Scott and Barda would've been neat.
    He was pretty much Scott's Robin. Kirby's run ended few issues after his introduction, but reading those issues it always felt to me that Kirby wanted to write them as a family.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    He was pretty much Scott's Robin. Kirby's run ended few issues after his introduction, but reading those issues it always felt to me that Kirby wanted to write them as a family.
    That was the impression that I got too. Scott and Barda, two people who were abandoned raised another child who was left behind. I would have really liked to see that dynamic. It bothered me that King didn't even mention him in his MM book. So that mystery character was a woman, I couldn't really tell at first.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I would've pitched a YA novel with that premise. Having Scott and Barda adopt Shilo on an impulse is an interesting hook.

On the issue itself I dug it. It's a commentary on celebrity culture and identity. Shilo is pretty fleshed out and I'm curious if Mister Miracle had an old rogues gallery that could be revamped.

The twist is interesting. My theory is that she was stolen by Granny Goodness and raised as a Furie.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think he was more of his sidekick but again my miracle knowledge is lacking. Shilo was the assistant to Thaddeus Brown who trained Mister Miracle/Scott and then I think Shilo helped Scott occasionally.

It’s present day, not only did Easton say it’s his present introduction but Shilo calls out the year as 2021 during this issue.
    Shilo actually never met Thadeus Brown. Brown died in the first issue of Mister Miracle and Shilo didn't appear until issue 15.

Scott and Barda's police leutenant friend asked them to look after Shilo as he had witnessed the murder of his brother and the killer was looking for him.

While Scott Free is one of my favorite characters, I actually think the day to day superhero role of Mister Miracle works a little better with Shilo under the mask. Scott and Barda's story is one of the corner stones of the New Gods mythos but having a regular human as the World's Greatest Escape Artist makes for a better comic.

I still think that Kirby created the Mister Miracle character separately from the New Gods and just plugged it in as a role for Scott Free (As the story goes, Kirby was inspired to create Mister Miracle because of Jim Steranko's previous career as a magician and escape artist). If you read the first issue of the original book, his origin story with Thadeus Brown is a pretty straight forward superhero origin. The addition of the New Gods mythology makes it a more interesting story that is far grander is scope but it's really not necessary.

Kirby's original design for Mister Miracle.

All-New Member

t1.jpgt2.jpgt3.jpg
    so, in this reality, Thaddeus Brwon was black?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    having a regular human as the World's Greatest Escape Artist makes for a better comic.
    This probably goes back to Kirby never really making New Gods all that powerful. Scott in Kirby's run was pretty much peak human and most of the "crazy" things he could do was due to motherbox and not himself having some superpowers. Barda was obviously much stronger, but nothing insane either.