Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should WW's mythology be treated as sci-fi, like the New Gods or MCU Thor?

There are already sci fi elements like the purple healing ray.

BANNED

I think the benefit would be making crossovers more likely, since there would be easier overlap with the genres of the other big properties.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-25-2021 at 12:02 PM.

The amazons should have advanced technology but hopefully in a way totally different from any other utopia. My vote would go for Art Noveau aesthetic with Biopunk ideas.

And Wonder Woman should have encountrrs with aliens and robots and all kinds of other genres. But she shouldn't be Pigeon holed into a single area. She should definitely have lots of surreal elements in her lore.

This was kind of how they were in the Golden Age but I can't say this a depiction of them I've cared for, I definitely prefer them more supernatural/fantasy based like what was eventually done with them in the post-Marston stuff.

Doesn't help ancient advanced aliens posing Gods is one of my least favorite creative fiction tropes.

Personally I prefer magitek or space fantasy elements such as Star Wars rather than out and out scifi when it comes to WW.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I do NOT want Wonder Woman to turn into Marvel's version of Thor in the sense that her lore is almost exclusively tied into real-world myth with the exception of appearing in other heroes comics. And I would like to keep some of the sci-fi elements such as the purple healing ray.

Wondy's got some of the weirdest and most unique world building in comics and I think limiting it to only Greek Myth or real-world myth is shutting off some cool story ideas. Particularly with the Amazon's themselves.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd leave the Gods as faithful to their mythological roots as possible, and leave the Sci-Fi stuff to just the Amazons themselves and other stuff they encounter

Incredible Member

I second the magitech or something with a healthy mix of mysticism, science fiction, fantasy, and wish fulfillment.

Give me double page spreads of the Amazons fighting Tartarus/Doom's Gate's demon and mythological monsters riding on top of Kangas with purple healing ray turrets and spears made of Amazonium vibrating at the frequency of universal love and mental radios to communicate with the megalodons and mermaids of the surrounding waters for assistance.

I want Wonder Tot showing up to lead our astral projections into the 5th dimension of imagination and having a friendly game of imp-tag with Bat-Mite and Mr.Mxy that creates a space-time wormhole in our dimension that only WW can stop by tying Wonder Tot's bracelets, Bat-Mite's cowl and Mr. Mxy's hat with her Lasso of Truth!

Stuff like that?
    Last edited by Shimbo; 05-25-2021 at 12:39 PM.

BANNED

So folks aren't interested in the mythological gods being the "old gods" and the 4th World entities being the "new gods?"

BANNED

Magitech sounds like science fantasy, which is what comic book "sci fi" is--from Superman to Flash.

Isn't magitech just this idea from Thor:

Science so advanced it looks like magic?

Or do you mean it's tech powered by magic energy? Magic being inexplicable but controllable reality warping?

You can have both science and magic. I don't think the Greek Gods or any other gods need to revert to using advanced science just so the Amazon's can use sci-fi. Or you can make the Amazon's technology sort of magitek sci-fi like Vordan said.

I just don't think it needs to be an either-or situation.

I feel like we can have both. The amazons have advanced tech due to 5000+ years of being around topped with necessity, boredom, inquisitive minds, and the discovery of amazonium and purple crystals. The amazons probably view their advanced tech as a boon from the Gods. I guess we could describe it as magitech considering it comes from both a divine world but in the form of advanced tools. The amazons also practice magic and commune with nature, its a pretty diverse society.

But the Greek Gods should be Old Gods that use powerful universe altering magic. There weapons/tools should be as they are in the myths. I think that while the Amazons can have Isu style advanced technology ala Assassin's Creed, the Gods should be as magical myths.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

TBH I don't mind the Thor comparisons, but that's me I guess.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    So folks aren't interested in the mythological gods being the "old gods" and the 4th World entities being the "new gods?"
    The problem with that approach is that Kirbys whole concept of 'new gods' relied on the notion that these older gods arn't simply hanging out while a new generation pops up. 4th world popped up because 3rd world ended and all of its gods are gone.
    I seem to recall there even being a comic during post crisis which established that the 5th world of newer gods would come into being once the 4th worlders died out.

It doesn't really play well with other canons

Maybe we should just let Wonder Woman be Wonder Woman and not force her into whatever is the most popular in the writers mind?

There is a bunch of cool stuff in the mythology already that can be brought to a larger audience.