Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Are you talking about the Gods when you say her " mythology", or just the base of her reality?

Re her Gods...no, it should be like magic and mythology, not tech stuff like Thor or whatever.

Re her base of reality...i dont minc a blendbof technology with their more ancient traditions. I started reading in the early Bronze Age, so Amazons with tech isn't anything outside of normal for me

But her Gids and pantheon should be Gods, not beings so advanced it seems like magic.

BANNED

In the DCU, the New Gods are also multiversal, immortal entities that only have aspects in each universe that aren't as powerful, iirc. Their high forms are beyond human comprehension.

Couldn't the old gods be considered the same?

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman should definitely take a more Sci Fi bent. Not completely without magic, the the advanced tech aspect needs to be emphasized.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    So folks aren't interested in the mythological gods being the "old gods" and the 4th World entities being the "new gods?"
    Heck no, and it bothers me the 4th World always beat the Olympians. It's not even a contest at this point but it keeps happening.

I think the benefit would be making crossovers more likely, since there would be easier overlap with the genres of the other big properties.
    This has never been an issue with DC when it comes to Wonder Woman.

In the DCU, the New Gods are also multiversal, immortal entities that only have aspects in each universe that aren't as powerful, iirc. Their high forms are beyond human comprehension.

Couldn't the old gods be considered the same?
    To be frank, no.

No.

Let the olympian gods be gods.

Let the Amazons have a blend of magic AND technology.

Like, they're living on a mystical island.

The resources can be imbued by Olympian magic but all the skills they've mastered over the years are theirs and theirs alone.
    They could have weapons and machineries that could only be activated by beings with Amazon blood, for example.

Like hyper-durable armors and weapons that would be just simple metal if they were to be used by any one that's not Amazon or Olympian.

Frankly the comics already use Darkseid and Orion more in Wonder Woman related material far more than I would like. Darkseid usually just pops up in a story so a writer can have Darkseid kill 'half of the Amazons!' which has happened what, three times?

The possibility suggested that the Roman gods could take on that more 'quasi sci-fi astral' style of the Marston style honestly works for me, though mainly because the comics typically don't do anything interesting with the Roman set and just treat them as literal copies of the Greek variety, ignoring any of the original ones.

Going straight sci-fi though...I could see an interesting story of Wonder Woman encountering aliens with their own sci-fi gods. Between the kangaroo riding Sky Riders, the Sangtee space empire, and those alien conquerors who kidnapped Amazons in Simones adaption of Astarte there are things one can work with.

And as has been pointed out, making the Amazons crazy sci-fi is quite logical given how long they have been around.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I feel like we can have both. The amazons have advanced tech due to 5000+ years of being around topped with necessity, boredom, inquisitive minds, and the discovery of amazonium and purple crystals. The amazons probably view their advanced tech as a boon from the Gods. I guess we could describe it as magitech considering it comes from both a divine world but in the form of advanced tools. The amazons also practice magic and commune with nature, its a pretty diverse society.

But the Greek Gods should be Old Gods that use powerful universe altering magic. There weapons/tools should be as they are in the myths. I think that while the Amazons can have Isu style advanced technology ala Assassin's Creed, the Gods should be as magical myths.
    I'm a proponent of all of the above.

Both magic and science have their place in her mythos. It's when Diana and/or the Amazons are simplified and reduced to picking between the two that the overall Wonder Woman concept and corner of the DCU is lessened.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

This is the equivalent of saying Diana needs a video game like Witcher and God of War. It's not a good idea because Diana's world doesn't work that way. The New Gods work because that was Jack Kirby's vision. Thor works because Thor is a direct translation of the mythologies, with some creative liberties. These franchises doesn't work the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    This is the equivalent of saying Diana needs a video game like Witcher and God of War. It's not a good idea because Diana's world doesn't work that way. The New Gods work because that was Jack Kirby's vision. Thor works because Thor is a direct translation of the mythologies, with some creative liberties. These franchises doesn't work the same.
    I kind of disagree with this. Diana can function quite well as a video game franchise that uses both myth/magic and sci-fi. Look at Assassin's Creed Odyssey and its use of Isu advanced tech, all you'd need to do is say that that level of tech is unique to the amazons due to the minerals found on Themyscira while the Gods use real universe altering magic. Heck the amazons can also use magic, not as powerful as the gods but like elemental powers or something akin to Chi. And the amazons can just view their tech as a boon from the gods.

Outside of the amazons, Diana's universe has been pretty accurate to the myths so the "creative liberties" argument works fine here too. I'd actually like a Breath of the Wild style open world game for Diana, with a flight mechanic (but that's for a different thread).
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    ...The possibility suggested that the Roman gods could take on that more 'quasi sci-fi astral' style of the Marston style honestly works for me, though mainly because the comics typically don't do anything interesting with the Roman set and just treat them as literal copies of the Greek variety, ignoring any of the original ones...making the Amazons crazy sci-fi is quite logical given how long they have been around.
    There are Fourth World stories, set on Apokolips, where you could turn a corner and walk right out onto Marston's clunky, industrial gothic Mars. I would also like to see a good writer rehab the Roman gods into their original, pulpy, science fantasy weirdness, in such a way that they are distinguished from George Perez's statelier, Harryhausen refugees.

The Martian Fortress was actually pretty cool.

I think there's a fan subtext, with Perez's Greeks that's undeniable. For many of us, the more classically inspired, post-Crisis gods are more feminized or appealing to feminine sensibilities, than Dr. Marston's Buck Rogersy Roman gods - most notably, Mars. For others, Perez's treatment is more serious or sophisticated, appealing to [Koff'koff] ...intellectuals? Both are a rejection of the boy's fantasy playset, which Marston gave us - his Martian Base, a smoldering, armed camp, with rocketships, ghosts [Ghosts!], monsters and scantily clad dancing girls! Comparing the two - even with Marston's Venus - Perez's interpretation seemed more grown-up; so, wanting to think ourselves, serious, in the way cigars are serious...

We jumped onboard, with George, and never looked back. Might be time to change that.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-28-2021 at 05:12 AM. Reason: content, context
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    And Wonder Woman was created as a Science Fantasy series with a tertiary connection to the Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    And Wonder Woman was created as a Science Fantasy series with a tertiary connection to the Gods
    Are we allowed to even type that, in a Wonder-fan forum? I have literally seen fans lose it, when this subject was introduced. It's like pointing to the man, behind the curtain, in The Wizard Of Oz. Like telling Batfans that Tim Burton's 1989 Batman wasn't a gothic drama or a serious action flick, but, a dark action comedy...like Ghostbusters?

It's totally true, though. The Wonder Woman comic's myth-inspired and feminist elements are entirely incidental to it being sci-fi or science fantasy. A-aand--that's totally okay!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-28-2021 at 04:03 AM. Reason: style
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The feminist themes were the whole point of the character. It was in no way incidental. Everything Marston wrote was supposed to drive home his message. In fact, that's the only reason why he was writing comic books.