Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Are we allowed to even type that, in a Wonder-fan forum? I have literally seen fans lose it, when this subject was introduced. It's like pointing to the man, behind the curtain, in The Wizard Of Oz. Like telling Batfans that Tim Burton's 1989 Batman wasn't a gothic drama or a serious action flick, but, a dark action comedy...like Ghostbusters?

It's totally true, though. The Wonder Woman comic's myth-inspired and feminist elements are entirely incidental to it being sci-fi or science fantasy. A-aand--that's totally okay!
    No, the feminist themes were central to the character.

To revisit an idea, introduced by Fuzzy Mittens, I can imagine the Roman gods springing from the Dark Gods - King Best, Savage Fire, etc - distinguished from the Greeks, who originate, from the Old Gods of the Fourth World. Those Dark Gods were weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    No, the feminist themes were central to the character.
    The original Wonder Woman comic, then, is a feminist text, like The Feminine Mystique, ..with science fantasy attached? I can dig it.

Another backstory, without those sci-fi elements - one, in which archaeologist, Diana Shapiro, upon prying open the Ark of the Covenant, is infused with ancient magic ..and becomes Wonder Woman - might have done, as well or better. I can see that.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-28-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Magitech sounds like science fantasy, which is what comic book "sci fi" is--from Superman to Flash.

Isn't magitech just this idea from Thor:

Science so advanced it looks like magic?

Or do you mean it's tech powered by magic energy? Magic being inexplicable but controllable reality warping?
    Tech powered by magic is how I use the term. Once read a fantasy book where a civilization “sang” their buildings into existence. That’s the kind of tech the Amazons should have access to. I don’t want an attempt to give a hard scifi explanation of how the Purple Ray works, or why there’s kangaroos on Themyscaria or what have you.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tech powered by magic is how I use the term. Once read a fantasy book where a civilization “sang” their buildings into existence. That’s the kind of tech the Amazons should have access to. I don’t want an attempt to give a hard scifi explanation of how the Purple Ray works, or why there’s kangaroos on Themyscaria or what have you.
    Well the Kangaroos at least did have an explanation. Alien invaders arrived with their alien kangaroo steeds!
    In a random note I wish the cat headed 'Sky Riders' stuck around

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I kind of disagree with this. Diana can function quite well as a video game franchise that uses both myth/magic and sci-fi. Look at Assassin's Creed Odyssey and its use of Isu advanced tech, all you'd need to do is say that that level of tech is unique to the amazons due to the minerals found on Themyscira while the Gods use real universe altering magic. Heck the amazons can also use magic, not as powerful as the gods but like elemental powers or something akin to Chi. And the amazons can just view their tech as a boon from the gods.

Outside of the amazons, Diana's universe has been pretty accurate to the myths so the "creative liberties" argument works fine here too. I'd actually like a Breath of the Wild style open world game for Diana, with a flight mechanic (but that's for a different thread).

I've read many comments and remember a popular reddit post about WW video game. Many stated she needs a game like the Witcher and God of War. Brutal, dark, and violent like those games. I disagree with them. That's not WW. As for the direct translation, you're right, totally slipped my mind when writing my comment. though there's no such thing as "accurate to the myths", if you know how little accuracy there is to mythology.

Never played Breath of the Wild, so I'm curious about why.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I've read many comments and remember a popular reddit post about WW video game. Many stated she needs a game like the Witcher and God of War. Brutal, dark, and violent like those games. I disagree with them. That's not WW. As for the direct translation, you're right, totally slipped my mind when writing my comment. though there's no such thing as "accurate to the myths", if you know how little accuracy there is to mythology.

Never played Breath of the Wild, so I'm curious about why.
    I mean I get the aesthetic of the Witcher and God of War, I would imagine Diana would hunt monsters that terrorize a village and people use God of War because its the most popular game that uses Greek Gods. But yeah, brutal is not a word to describe a WW game. Dark, maybe? but people tend to confuse dark/gritty with gravity so.

Breath of the Wild is an action adventure open world game that uses a combination of puzzle quests and actual combat mechanics to tell its story. Think Assassin's Creed but with temples that require you to complete a puzzle to unlock the reward. Its also a perfect graphic style I would use for a WW game, highly detailed graphics is cool and all but it starts taking to much focus off of gameplay and story because a rock looks like a real rock or something.

Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I mean I get the aesthetic of the Witcher and God of War, I would imagine Diana would hunt monsters that terrorize a village and people use God of War because its the most popular game that uses Greek Gods. But yeah, brutal is not a word to describe a WW game. Dark, maybe? but people tend to confuse dark/gritty with gravity so.

Breath of the Wild is an action adventure open world game that uses a combination of puzzle quests and actual combat mechanics to tell its story. Think Assassin's Creed but with temples that require you to complete a puzzle to unlock the reward. Its also a perfect graphic style I would use for a WW game, highly detailed graphics is cool and all but it starts taking to much focus off of gameplay and story because a rock looks like a real rock or something.

I’ve thought Kratos’s chains would make a good basis on how to use the lasso in a game.

I don't really see how since the chains are mostly used for cutting, and only ocasionally used for grabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’ve thought Kratos’s chains would make a good basis on how to use the lasso in a game.
    For some combos yeah, I see that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't really see how since the chains are mostly used for cutting, and only ocasionally used for grabbing.
    That's just what your going to get when you want to use a lasso as a weapon in a game. The cutting is usually a result of the swords at the end
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Not really. Diana can do a lot of things that Spider-man does with his webs. She can also make complex rope structures to tie multiple people together or to other things and pull them around the battlefield.

Jackie Chan does that a lot when he fights a group of people. He uses objects around him to restrain the group of enemies, turning multiple people into a single unit that he can push around, instead of having to dodge/ parry all of them at the same time. There's a famous scene where he uses a ladder to fight many people at the same time in this manner.

One thing I would love for Diana to do for example is tie her lasso around a group of pillars to create a "wrestling cage" and bounces herself or other people off the rope for ricochet, like in WWE. The lasso could be used for so many cool combos in inventive ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Not really. Diana can do a lot of things that Spider-man does with his webs. She can also make complex rope structures to tie multiple people together or to other things and pull them around the battlefield.

Jackie Chan does that a lot when he fights a group of people. He uses objects around him to restrain the group of enemies, turning multiple people into a single unit that he can push around, instead of having to dodge/ parry all of them at the same time. There's a famous scene where he uses a ladder to fight many people at the same time in this manner.

One thing I would love for Diana to do for example is tie her lasso around a group of pillars to create a "wrestling cage" and bounces herself or other people off the rope for ricochet, like in WWE. The lasso could be used for so many cool combos in inventive ways.
    YEEEEEEES. The lasso is so underused in what it can used for. So many creator default to "use this to tell the truth".

Retired

I would prefer that Thor and the New Gods were never given the science fiction treatment. They're fantasy.

With Wonder Woman it should be mainly fantasy. I liked how she would visit different planets in the 1940s, but if that's made to fit in the current science fiction world of the Justice League, then they would have to change too much about those fantastic planets. I prefer to think that these planets exist on a supernatural plane and that's how Wonder Woman is able to visit them where science heroes with their rocketships cannot.

But I don't think so-called magic characters would use the word "magic" for what they do--except maybe Zatanna, but only for her stage magic act. The word has the wrong connotation. To the supernatural characters, what they do has its own logic, so it's not magic--it's just knowing how to use energies on another plane of existence. At the same time it shouldn't have to work according to known science.

I hate science fiction where they just make up a lot of ridiculous stuff that doesn't have any basis in science. But I'm fine with fantasy doing that, so long as it doesn't pretend to be science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I would prefer that Thor and the New Gods were never given the science fiction treatment. They're fantasy.
    I respectfully disagree, the New Gods and Thor are sci-fi, its how they were envisioned to be. The only person (s) who can say the New Gods should've been fantasy is Jack Kirby. The only two people who could say Thor should've been fantasy is Kirby and Lee.

With Wonder Woman it should be mainly fantasy. I liked how she would visit different planets in the 1940s, but if that's made to fit in the current science fiction world of the Justice League, then they would have to change too much about those fantastic planets. I prefer to think that these planets exist on a supernatural plane and that's how Wonder Woman is able to visit them where science heroes with their rocketships cannot.
    science-fantasy, which I think it's how Diana's world should be. Marston crafted a world modern day WW can't even touch, not even Morrison did.

I hate science fiction where they just make up a lot of ridiculous stuff that doesn't have any basis in science. But I'm fine with fantasy doing that, so long as it doesn't pretend to be science fiction.
    How do you feel about fantasy creators who try to explain their fantasy races through evolution?
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 06-03-2021 at 07:09 PM.

No. She's magic. Superman has the Sci-Fi theme covered already.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    No. She's magic. Superman has the Sci-Fi theme covered already.
    What does that have to do with anything? Diana wasn't designed to complement Superman, she was made for her own purposes and to cross various genres. That's why we had microscopic kingdoms and alien invaders, and armies of robotic thieves, and scientifical experiments in Themyscira.