Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Please I want to know why is wolverine the most popular x-men charachter.

I have been thinking about this for as long as I could understand what x-men was. Of a the most fantastical mutants out there Logan was the most popular I thought it was Hugh Jackman effect alone but he was still arguably the most popular before the movies. So please I wanna know from wolverine fans and x-fans in general why is he this popular.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Yeah, Wolverine was huge before the films. He had such an important role in the films because of his comic book/cartoon popularity. I'd say Wolverine gave Hugh Jackman the Hugh Jackmane effect, not the other way around. :D

I think the reason for his popularity is that he was the first anti-hero type that stuck with the team. So everyone who liked this type of character was immediately drawn to him and he became very popular quite quickly.

Then it becomes a matter of self-fulling prophecy: he’s seen as popular he gets a solo book, on solo books he has more panel time to shine and be developed, he becomes more popular, he starts appearing everywhere he gets more panel time to shine, etc…

Personally, I’m not a huge fan because I tend to like the heroic types more (not the anti-hero), but I admit that, when writers decide to write him well, he’s one of the best developed characters of the franchise and because of that he can easily steal every scene he’s in.

He probably embodies what most straight cis men want to be: manly rough beer drinking and smoking badass with a heart.

He’s white and what teenage boys think they want to grow into. See also: Cable.

Wolverine is not the most popular X-men character, There was period was he was the most popular character but that stop awhile back now he still among the 5 most popular X-men characters(Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Jean, Storm). The most popular X-men character is probably Cyclops and it is for similar reason for what people are describing for Wolverine above.

Now Wolverine has clearly the best formula for solo books for the X-characters, maybe one of best guest star in comic books right there with Batman and Spiderman and is probably the best heroic anti hero in all of comics. Which makes him one of the most used characters in comics even though his raw popularity is down from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Wolverine is not the most popular X-men character, There was period was he was the most popular character but that stop awhile back now he still among the 5 most popular X-men characters(Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Jean, Storm). The most popular X-men character is probably Cyclops and it is for similar reason for what people are describing for Wolverine above.
    Lol, it is really funny. Wolverine is the most popular X character.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

knives for hands.
    samurai.
    gets the babes (& sometimes fellas).
    can't die.
    cool costume(s).
    bad azz catitude.
    went to hell.
    fought hulk (see can't die).
    part of every team.

'nuff said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    knives for hands.
    samurai.
    gets the babes (& sometimes fellas).
    can't die.
    cool costume(s).
    bad azz catitude.
    went to hell.
    fought hulk (see can't die).
    part of every team.

'nuff said.
    Wait huh? That's it? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    See also: Punisher

Like others have mentioned he’s the perfect power fantasy, mixed with tortured anti-hero, with a sprinkle of mysterious backstory.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Sooo true like why do they think it's healthy to emulate those charachters and now people who commit treason are wearing his symbol.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Surface level read. Frank Castle is a tragic figure. His Netflix series was a bitter refutation of being a badass. Garth Ennis and Greg Rucka showed what a hideous nightmare his life is. No one should want to be The Punisher.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

I resemble this remark.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Because he's rough, macho, no nonsense, strong, scruffy, women fall for him in his movies, he's a violent action hero, and his costume is iconic. The majority of X-Men fans like this, and it's visually appealing for the masses. Ask yourself why people like Walter White, Tony Soprano, Scarface, etc.

He represents the X-Men outside the forums and it's thanks to him people bothered watching those Fox movies and buy merchandise. Deadpool is his competition because he's Wolverine and Spider-Man in one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    He probably embodies what most straight cis men want to be: manly rough beer drinking and smoking badass with a heart.
    That is no lie! He feels like toxic masculinity with six knifes .

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Now Wolverine has clearly the best formula for solo books for the X-characters, maybe one of best guest star in comic books right there with Batman and Spiderman and is probably the best heroic anti hero in all of comics. Which makes him one of the most used characters in comics even though his raw popularity is down from the past.
    Ehh trust me I come from a small town in Ghana most people do not know cyclops even storm is recognized because of her hair and powers but they all know wolverine because of the movies and such.

Ahhh you have spoken some truth he gets solos for no reason and I wonder why. I mean he is not remotely interesting to me just another wolverine with guns.