Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Extraordinary Member

Anyone wondering about Wolverine's popularity has to do it through the lens of the readership and the stories from decades ago, not now and not in todays language.

What I will add is that, as someone who was not a Wolverine fan by any means (Cyclops for life) but I sure did like doing sketches of Wolverine. He was always one of the best characters to see in action. Everyone else was rather still, shooting from range while standing, moving things with their minds while standing, but Wolverine had to get in close and take the hits, so not only is he a character that at the time had so much potential for a writer to work with he was great for artists to go crazy with too.

He has a deceptively awesome power. I mean, who has never put three pencils on each hand as a kid (or an adult!) and slashed away? Plus the fantasy to just claw every problem in the face is very atractive while teenager. Because those are not nails you see, those are masculine stab organs.
    Plus he has range. Are you a Punisher fan who wants a male fantasy power trip? Wolverine is your man. Are you an older man with kids and in search of a role model? Wolverine is your pal. Are you a woman who likes to read about men who respect women and follow their lead? Wolverine is your companion.
    Are you a fan of stocky hairy men with a temper (you would be surprised)? Wolverine is your daddy.

Plus he and Storm were, I think, two of the best developed characters during the Claremont run. And he has the Hama run too...

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Anyone wondering about Wolverine's popularity has to do it through the lens of the readership and the stories from decades ago, not now and not in todays language.

What I will add is that, as someone who was not a Wolverine fan by any means (Cyclops for life) but I sure did like doing sketches of Wolverine. He was always one of the best characters to see in action. Everyone else was rather still, shooting from range while standing, moving things with their minds while standing, but Wolverine had to get in close and take the hits, so not only is he a character that at the time had so much potential for a writer to work with he was great for artists to go crazy with too.
    You have a point. Funny thing, though, is that this is more specific for the comics because of the static nature of the panels. For films, I think flashy powerss can be more visually appealling. For instance, Cyclops beams ricochetting two or three times before hitting the intended target should look super cool, when you can actually see the movement.

I can't wait to see the X-Men in the MCU. Marvel has generally done a good job with the action scenes. And I really want to see their powers used together/in tandem to reflect their amount of training and teamwork. :)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-31-2021 at 06:23 AM.

It’s cuz he’s Canadian, bitches!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Very marketable powers/abiltiies that allow him to go full force into close combat with reckless abandon
    Mystery man element
    Slowly aging
    Anti-establishment /maverick
    Drinks beer and smokes cigs while the others drink lemonade
    Heart of gold underneath the bad boy image
    Traumatic past
    Provides wisdom when needed and can serve as a mentor to a young female mutant
    Is a member of at least 500 super teams at once
    Has his own long running comic series and is onw of the few to get solo movies.
    Portrayed by one actor for 17 years who is still considered great even by folks who didnt like the Fox films

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Because he's rough, macho, no nonsense, strong, scruffy, women fall for him in his movies, he's a violent action hero, and his costume is iconic. The majority of X-Men fans like this, and it's visually appealing for the masses. Ask yourself why people like Walter White, Tony Soprano, Scarface, etc.

He represents the X-Men outside the forums and it's thanks to him people bothered watching those Fox movies and buy merchandise. Deadpool is his competition because he's Wolverine and Spider-Man in one.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Snikt! Snikt! (in approval)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    He is not a stereotypical Canadian though is he? They are usually seen as jolly... then there is John Byrne.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    See also: Punisher
    Surface level read. Frank Castle is a tragic figure. His Netflix series was a bitter refutation of being a badass. Garth Ennis and Greg Rucka showed what a hideous nightmare his life is. No one should want to be The Punisher.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    He is not a stereotypical Canadian though is he? They are usually seen as jolly... then there is John Byrne.
    I'd say Deadpool is more 'jolly'. Or Northstar... Heather Hudson is a stereotypical Canadian.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    You have a point. Funny thing, though, is that this is more specific for the comics because of the static nature of the panels. For films, I think flashy powerss can be more visually appealling. For instance, Cyclops beams ricochetting two or three times before hitting the intended target should look super cool, when you can actually see the movement.

I can't wait to see the X-Men in the MCU. Marvel has generally done a good job with the action scenes. And I really want to see their powers used together/in tandem to reflect their amount of training and teamwork.
    I am not a fan of MCU or CBMs in general but MCU got the audience stick to the glue with close rounded fights(and typical stereotypical humor with each characer)throughout their franchise.
    Last edited by Vishop; 06-03-2021 at 11:10 PM.