Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Please I want to know why is wolverine the most popular x-men charachter.

I have been thinking about this for as long as I could understand what x-men was. Of a the most fantastical mutants out there Logan was the most popular I thought it was Hugh Jackman effect alone but he was still arguably the most popular before the movies. So please I wanna know from wolverine fans and x-fans in general why is he this popular.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Yeah, Wolverine was huge before the films. He had such an important role in the films because of his comic book/cartoon popularity. I'd say Wolverine gave Hugh Jackman the Hugh Jackmane effect, not the other way around. :D

I think the reason for his popularity is that he was the first anti-hero type that stuck with the team. So everyone who liked this type of character was immediately drawn to him and he became very popular quite quickly.

Then it becomes a matter of self-fulling prophecy: he’s seen as popular he gets a solo book, on solo books he has more panel time to shine and be developed, he becomes more popular, he starts appearing everywhere he gets more panel time to shine, etc…

Personally, I’m not a huge fan because I tend to like the heroic types more (not the anti-hero), but I admit that, when writers decide to write him well, he’s one of the best developed characters of the franchise and because of that he can easily steal every scene he’s in.

He probably embodies what most straight cis men want to be: manly rough beer drinking and smoking badass with a heart.

He’s white and what teenage boys think they want to grow into. See also: Cable.

Wolverine is not the most popular X-men character, There was period was he was the most popular character but that stop awhile back now he still among the 5 most popular X-men characters(Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Jean, Storm). The most popular X-men character is probably Cyclops and it is for similar reason for what people are describing for Wolverine above.

Now Wolverine has clearly the best formula for solo books for the X-characters, maybe one of best guest star in comic books right there with Batman and Spiderman and is probably the best heroic anti hero in all of comics. Which makes him one of the most used characters in comics even though his raw popularity is down from the past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    He probably embodies what most straight cis men want to be: manly rough beer drinking and smoking badass with a heart.
    That is no lie! He feels like toxic masculinity with six knifes .

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Wolverine is not the most popular X-men character, There was period was he was the most popular character but that stop awhile back now he still among the 5 most popular X-men characters(Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Jean, Storm). The most popular X-men character is probably Cyclops and it is for similar reason for what people are describing for Wolverine above.

Now Wolverine has clearly the best formula for solo books for the X-characters, maybe one of best guest star in comic books right there with Batman and Spiderman and is probably the best heroic anti hero in all of comics. Which makes him one of the most used characters in comics even though his raw popularity is down from the past.
    Ehh trust me I come from a small town in Ghana most people do not know cyclops even storm is recognized because of her hair and powers but they all know wolverine because of the movies and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    He’s white and what teenage boys think they want to grow into. See also: Cable.
    Ahhh you have spoken some truth he gets solos for no reason and I wonder why. I mean he is not remotely interesting to me just another wolverine with guns.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

knives for hands.
    samurai.
    gets the babes (& sometimes fellas).
    can't die.
    cool costume(s).
    bad azz catitude.
    went to hell.
    fought hulk (see can't die).
    part of every team.

'nuff said.

BANNED

"peak masculinity" lmao

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

What's with some of these answers, lol? He's the most popular X-Man. No way around it, love him or hate him, lol.

That being said, he has a great core concept and design that lends itself for great storytelling. Understandably, he's not going to be for everyone, but he's easy to understand and can do well on his own. His power also makes for better action sequences compared to most other X-Men. That being said, he definitely embodies the era in which he was created and hits a certain niche that tends to be generally popular. I mean, just look at Batman.

Also, few characters have slogans or sound effects that are easily recognizable. A lot of things were done well for Wolverine. He just stands out.

I like Cyclops more than Wolverine; I really do, but that's just not true.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 05-26-2021 at 01:32 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Not sure if I’m going to be able to put this eloquently but...
    I’m going to completely ignore the movies because my opinion of wolverine was formed long before they came out. Also he isn’t my favourite character, but he is in my top five.

I’ve found in more recent years writers have a tendency to make characters a little one dimensional, they pick a trait and stick with it. But wolverine has one of the most multi-faceted personalities and nuanced backstories in the X-men.
    He was introduced as a mysterious, gruff angry little man who does display a lot of male characteristics that were popular at the time. He was designed to emulate the cowboy era and a bit later a ‘fallen samurai’. But alongside the awesome macho man traits of the action hero (which arguably made him more appealing than some other characters). We also saw a character who has a quiet, tragic side to him. A man in despair, trying to do the right thing because he is a hero and a good person.
    Wolverine has done terrible things in his life, and as we discovered more of his past alongside the character, the more tragic he became. Someone who has caused and experienced so much pain and yet he continues to surround himself with hero’s. Wolverine is loyal and has a strict moral code (not the most ethical one but he lives by it). He could easily become a villain, but chooses not to.
    He believes that the closest people to him (His best friend Nightcrawler, Storm, Cyclops,Jean etc...) are better people than him and he gets his hands dirty and does the horrific things he does so his found family don’t have to. Of course things have evolved as the comics have continued but wolverine has consistently been both the teams shield and bettering ram. He is already broken and tarnished, and he has protected others from becoming the same (and looking freaking cool while doing it!)

Being an action hero with knives for hands is by far what draws people in, the audience loves an action-hero, especially during the time wolverine was at peak popularity,action-heroes were everywhere! But what keeps the audience invested long term (me anyway) is knowing there is more to a person than Mr Stabby Hands, the writers gave us a complex human being.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    knives for hands.
    samurai.
    gets the babes (& sometimes fellas).
    can't die.
    cool costume(s).
    bad azz catitude.
    went to hell.
    fought hulk (see can't die).
    part of every team.

'nuff said.
    Wait huh? That's it? Really?

Extraordinary Member

Wolverine was the breakout character of the All-New, All-Different team. He had a cool ascetic with the claws and Batman white eyes. He was the gruff misunderstood loner of the group who clashed with the stick-in-the-mud leader. Growing up I thought of him as Marvel's Batman.

The animated series cemented his popularity in pop culture. It gave him a cool voice to match his visuals and kept everything that made him stand out in the comics. It also greatly boosted Rogue and Gambit's popularity, but it made Wolverine synonymous with the X-Men.

Plus, well, before they were nerfed, Wolverine had much better solo villains than anyone else. They had similar power levels to him, so the fights were just him and them (you can't call someone you need the entire team and maybe more to fight a personal villain), and they typically reflected him or illuminated his *mysterious past* in some way.

Now a loner with a *mysterious past* is a tired cliche, but it wasn't back when Wolverine was just getting his legs under him in a story sense. It may not have been original (but what is?), but it WAS done well, and that is what counts.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I like Cyclops more than Wolverine; I really do, but that's just not true.

Are we talking Most popular X-man aka Most Popular character overall has reach to casual fans or Most popular X-men character aka most popular character within franchise among the people who care about these sets of characters. If you are talking about most popular overall character know to people outside the comic world, Yes Wolverine edges out other characters. If you talking about polling X-men fans which character is their favorite Wolverine will not win, Wolverine is not the most popular X-men character in that sense. And as much people want talk Wolverine with in actual franchise

Who was focal point of the Bendis Run?
    Who was focal point of Morrision Run?
    Who was focal point of AvX?
    Who was focal point X-men vs Inhumans? Yes he was dead
    Who was focal point of Uncanny when it came back
    Who was big part of PoX/HoX
    Who was important of X of Swords
    Who is the focal point of the current X-men book?
    Who is focal point of upcoming X-Men book?

Yeah Wolverine is going show up go "rawr" in bunch of things which character is actually the focal point in most stories in the recent years. Which character has the sixth most appearance in comic books but never had solo series/limited run of 12 issues. If people want to disagree with fine but for me most popular character and the most popular X-character are different things and being honest if Wolverine only shows up in his book and didn't show up in other X-men books they would be large amount of the fan base who would be happy. Wolverine popularity with in the franchise has gone down. While in the past he could show up 3 or 5 books and nobody would have said anything about it.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-26-2021 at 02:59 AM.

Lol, it is really funny. Wolverine is the most popular X character.