Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Stan Lee's forgotten mutant story (and how it could help the MCU X-men reboot)

Came across an interesting article by Screenrant today.

https://screenrant.com/xmen-mcu-cano...tan-lee-story/

Basically, Stan Lee originally came up with the mutant concept before he created the X-men. He wrote a one-off story in Amazing Adult Fantasy # 14 (literally the issue before Spider-Man's debut!) about a guy who suddenly developed powers and tried to use them for good but was hated and feared by humanity. He then meets a bunch of other such mutants who take him away to a hidden sanctuary where all mutants are hiding out until the day humanity at large was ready to accept them.

The article suggests using this story, along with Jonathan Hickman's ongoing Krakoa story, as a blueprint for the MCU X-men reboot by revealing that mutants have been hiding away on Krakoa, which is why the world at large is unaware of their existence. But two factions develop on Krakoa, with one group heading out into the world to conquer it on behalf of mutants and the other group setting out to stop them - leading to the classic X-men vs. Brotherhood conflict.

I feel, of all the MCU X-men reboot ideas I've read, that this one makes a lot of sense! It also kinda fits in with the early premise of Ultimate X-men, where Xavier and Magneto worked together to build a mutant sanctuary and society in the Savage Land first before their falling out and Xavier leaving to start the school.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

I'd prefer if they would start just like in the comics: a few mutants know what they are and that there are others like them around. Charles is trying to find people like him, to help them control their powers before they become a menace that will lead to a huge HumanxMutant conflict. Magneto is already on his superiority trip, trying to recruit mutants who think they should rule the planet.

I don't think you need much more than that. The MCU didn't change much of the Avengers origin stories, I don't see why they should change the X-Men. They could just adapt the original stories so they feel more modern and they fit the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

Basically, Stan Lee originally came up with the mutant concept before he created the X-men. He wrote a one-off story in Amazing Adult Fantasy # 14 (literally the issue before Spider-Man's debut!) about a guy who suddenly developed powers and tried to use them for good but was hated and feared by humanity. He then meets a bunch of other such mutants who take him away to a hidden sanctuary where all mutants are hiding out until the day humanity at large was ready to accept them.

The article suggests using this story, along with Jonathan Hickman's ongoing Krakoa story, as a blueprint for the MCU X-men reboot by revealing that mutants have been hiding away on Krakoa, which is why the world at large is unaware of their existence. But two factions develop on Krakoa, with one group heading out into the world to conquer it on behalf of mutants and the other group setting out to stop them - leading to the classic X-men vs. Brotherhood conflict.

I feel, of all the MCU X-men reboot ideas I've read, that this one makes a lot of sense! It also kinda fits in with the early premise of Ultimate X-men, where Xavier and Magneto worked together to build a mutant sanctuary and society in the Savage Land first before their falling out and Xavier leaving to start the school.
    That is actually not a bad idea, I don't think they will do it but I think that solves most of the issues with introducing mutants to MCU. Now the Eternal issue will still be there which is "why didn't you help out humanity" but I think that wouldn't be too hard to come up reasoning for why they didn't jump into certain things and they could show them discretely helping out in flashbacks.

If they take that route that means there will be three different species of powerful beings hiding out on Earth for years; The Inhumans, Eternals and now the Mutants. I'm not sure if it's beneficial to have the same trope repeated in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy! View Post
    If they take that route that means there will be three different species of powerful beings hiding out on Earth for years; The Inhumans, Eternals and now the Mutants. I'm not sure if it's beneficial to have the same trope repeated in the MCU.
    So about Inhumans.....Are you sure they are going to show up in the MCU? I don't think you have to worry about the trope showing up 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So about Inhumans.....Are you sure they are going to show up in the MCU? I don't think you have to worry about the trope showing up 3 times
    Let's hope.

I'm not sure if that tragic mini-series is connected to the greater MCU or not.

Let's hope.

I'm not sure if that tragic mini-series is connected to the greater MCU or not.
    The MCU have disowned agents of shields and the Netflix shows, They are certainly not claiming that show. Those shows are multiverse universes more than likely at least that is what rumors I am reading is saying, Marvel brings a character like daredevil it will be new MCU version played by the same actor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Aren't they connected to Ms. Marvel

BANNED

You make it sound like it is all one formula of the same thing, even though it will roughly be in the movies, I cannot just help but still cringe when I see Eternals, Inhumans and Mutants all lumped together.

Mutants are their own separate mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I doubt they’re going to introduce the entire Inhuman mythology + royal family just for her. They can just make her an individual result of a Kree accident or experiment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I'd prefer if they would start just like in the comics: a few mutants know what they are and that there are others like them around. Charles is trying to find people like him, to help them control their powers before they become a menace that will lead to a huge HumanxMutant conflict. Magneto is already on his superiority trip, trying to recruit mutants who think they should rule the planet.

I don't think you need much more than that. The MCU didn't change much of the Avengers origin stories, I don't see why they should change the X-Men. They could just adapt the original stories so they feel more modern and they fit the MCU.

I don't think you need much more than that. The MCU didn't change much of the Avengers origin stories, I don't see why they should change the X-Men. They could just adapt the original stories so they feel more modern and they fit the MCU.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they could go that route, but this is a way to do something different with the X-men from what the Fox movies (which are still fairly recent in people's memories) did while solving the issue of why virtually no one knew of mutants or even mentioned them before. It allows you to have more experienced and established versions of the characters ready without needing to slowly build out the mutant side of things and integrate it into the existing MCU mythology.

And the MCU did change a fair bit of the Avengers' mythos from the original comics (though admittedly by borrowing heavily from the Ultimate Universe), particularly by having the Avengers start out as a part of SHIELD. A lot of characters have had their backstories significantly altered in the MCU and started out radically different, before moving closer to their classic portrayals.

Well...it is the Marvel Universe after all. Secret societies are par for the course!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I doubt they’re going to introduce the entire Inhuman mythology + royal family just for her. They can just make her an individual result of a Kree accident or experiment.
    They could introduce a few of them.

BANNED

Stan Lee didn't have anything to do with the writing of that story. Steve Ditko did.

And even then there's numerous differences between that and X-Men (a property Lee never cared for at all).

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm there for more Tad Carter, we were just discussing him and his team the Promise in another thread

It's a cool pitch for the X-men's MCU debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They could always scrap it or downplay it. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make Kamala a mutant.