Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Moira is likely trying to create a set of circumstances that allows her to end the Nimrod menace. She may well need a Nimrod who is a blank slate A.I. and not a human in a tin can for that. Destiny would never want to destroy Krakoa if it was what they say it is. But she would not abide a single woman manipulating all mutantkind. She and Mystique were always libertarians that way. It is pretty intersting and has some pretty cool real life counterparts. Like when a crisis comes, it is better a democracy where everyone has its say, or an autocracy with a few bright minds directing the rest? This is what I like about this. No one is completely in the right here. It is easy to root for Mystique and Destiny as the underdogs here, but they may well destroy mutantkind. So can Moira. Oh what fun!
    I agree that Destiny is weary of a radicalised and zealous Moira manipulating Xavier and Magneto but from all the little hints we can also glean that perhaps from 10 lives Destiny saw 9 defeats for mutantdom and one victory alas that victory may be pyrrhic because to get there Xavier and Magnus have gone increasingly jingoistic and have imbued mutandom with identity and culture but a warrior and honour culture(through crucible or embracing Arrako as examples) and embraced social Darwinism(Sinister is nobility on Krakoa and Xavier's mission to the vault probably has less to do with threat analysis than technological espionage imo). Now maybe Destiny's animus is from knowing that Mystique will be manipulated or the fact that she herself won't live in this 'eden' or it may just be that this one win may hasten mutantdom's destruction from alien forces that will perceive earth as a higher form of civilization much sooner perhaps because of Xavier and Magnus reaching for the stars with S.W.O.R.D. There are questions of doubt planted through the saga, Nightcrawler questioning crucible, Legion smelling secrets and a sinister force(Onslaught) and all the manipulation.So Destiny may be seeing a dystopian future because of Krakoa, that may be unpalatable to her, not only because Moira just cannot see it, but that mutantdom at its peak will lead to its greatest destruction because of a very human trait-hubris.
    Last edited by Rev9; 05-27-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Feel like Inferno is going to be QC-centric because of the little graphic in the top left that show the QC seats. Maybe where we get the two new members, too?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    They created worse problem by acting dumb: Nimrod lost his humanity, so he isnt even emotional or reasonable. Also the doctor hate mutants even more.

Mutants seems to be on top with their game creating black holes from nowhere but still cant stop Nimrod? contrived AF
    Contrived is the perfect word for how this felt to me. Hickman did too good a job setting up the perfect Mutant situation, so now they have to work too hard to make the challenges happen. It probably would've been better if all Mutants hadn't immediately and easily jumped on board, if everything hadn't gone so smoothly setting Krakoa up. I'm thinking that this Krakoa would've been a great endgame rather than a starting point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Contrived is the perfect word for how this felt to me. Hickman did too good a job setting up the perfect Mutant situation, so now they have to work too hard to make the challenges happen. It probably would've been better if all Mutants hadn't immediately and easily jumped on board, if everything hadn't gone so smoothly setting Krakoa up. I'm thinking that this Krakoa would've been a great endgame rather than a starting point.
    Good point, Krakoa being set up or accepted at the UN , she have been where 'Reign of X' started, all the rest should have been buildup and ironing out the kinks with the tech like Cerebro or the gates, while also bringing Apocalypse and ilk on board piecemeal ,not in one fell swoop.
    Last edited by Rev9; 05-27-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Good point, Krakoa being set up or accepted at the UN , she have been where 'Reign of X' started, all the rest should have been buildup and ironing out the kinks with the tech like Cerebro or the gates, while also bringing Apocalypse and ilk on board piecemeal ,not in one fell swoop.
    That would have made sense. But from a publishing point of view, it made perfect sense to start with the status quo in place. HoX was marketed like a starting point for lapsed readers and disillusioned fans. It had to feel big, fresh, and new.

I only liked the first half of this issue. Once it got to Erik and Xavier it fell off. The main reason I didn't like it was because the whole plan was stupid just to further the plot. Why did Raven need to get that far? Was it to confirm Nimrod's activation? Why not simply plant the blackhole bomb right outside the gate with a 2 second timer and step back home, destroying the gate? Yes they would have killed hundreds of humans, but this is war where those same humans are actively trying to wipeout mutantkind.
    And wouldn't it be easier to bring Irene back and put mental blocks on her against Moria and her plans? I can't see why more people, like Storm, Jean and Kurt aren't wondering why precogs are not being brought back and question Xavier on it.
    I never thought I would, but I'm rooting for Raven. Kate was right... my namesake IS a jerk!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    That would have made sense. But from a publishing point of view, it made perfect sense to start with the status quo in place. HoX was marketed like a starting point for lapsed readers and disillusioned fans. It had to feel big, fresh, and new.
    Yeah I get that, I guess Reign will hopefully be like 20 issues before we get to fall.
    Last edited by Rev9; 05-27-2021 at 11:52 AM.

That was always part of the immediate problem when you brought literally everyone back and brought in almost literally all evil mutants, including guys like Exodus (who would be invincible if he didn't literally forget about how many powers he as) and Vulcan (conquered galaxies). Then you pile the resurrections on top of that. Essentially, the only way there is any plot or danger to the protagonists is via plot induced stupidity. They know how dangerous Nimrod is, and Xavier knows that its a specific threat because of Moira. So with that knowledge, their plan was....to ignore it for months, and send in one person who deliberately failed the same mission the last time, and to use a weapon that could easily have ended the galaxy if it sucked in the sun.

Indeed, the interesting thing would have been the etablishment of Krakoa, the ones who would have been for, the ones who would have been against… the hopes, the stakes… the secret plots…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That was always part of the immediate problem when you brought literally everyone back and brought in almost literally all evil mutants, including guys like Exodus (who would be invincible if he didn't literally forget about how many powers he as) and Vulcan (conquered galaxies). Then you pile the resurrections on top of that. Essentially, the only way there is any plot or danger to the protagonists is via plot induced stupidity. They know how dangerous Nimrod is, and Xavier knows that its a specific threat because of Moira. So with that knowledge, their plan was....to ignore it for months, and send in one person who deliberately failed the same mission the last time, and to use a weapon that could easily have ended the galaxy if it sucked in the sun.
    Exodus is too worried spreading Wanda hate haha

Mutants aren't the underdogs anymore, the only way to bring danger is via contrived dumb plots. There isn't peranent dead? create a shortcut so permanent dead can be done for this specific event.
    Mystique wasn't even needed, they just needed to drop the bomb via the gate and job would be done. The fact that she wait for his activation and only acted when he indentified her as mutant was super dumb.

Agree. Build up krakoa as a climax could be really great. Way better than just find it 100% ready
    Last edited by Rang10; 05-27-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    That was another life, in life 10 I guess he didnt
    Hm... there's no confirmation that we are in a new timeline since Hickman took over... just fans' theory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Hm... there's no confirmation that we are in a new timeline since Hickman took over... just fans' theory
    616 is life 10. Not sure why fans get confused on this point.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I greatly appreciate Raven rocking her heels.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

The thought occurs that what happened to Ersasmus/Nimrod is rather symbolic of the fact that the Sentinels are possibly even more locked in the status quo of perpetually being denied a chance to evolve and grow (beyond Trask’s acknowledged bad coding) than even the mutants (was the original Nimrod not on the cusp of abandoning his directives before Master Mold rebooted him?)

Also, Gregor (human) talking about a family with Nimrod (machine whose personality requires a gem). Where does this sound familiar?

After reading this comic (and X-Corp 1) I really want Xavier and Magneto—not Krakoa as a nation—to fail.

Everything just feels absolutely heartless and cold here. Xavier's and Magneto's megalomaniac despotism has to stop!! Can we please start to get an opposition and some democratic spirit on the island?

Nonetheless, I really adored the comic and cannot wait to see what will be next!!!! I want Mystique to try to burn Krakoa to the ground and bring Destiny back. maybe convincing more and more mutants that something is fishy on Krakoa.

--

X-Corp as a comicbook is just annoying and equally heartless. Instead, they should have bring Morrison's concept of X-Corp back. A mutant culture outreach program and/or embassies around the world would make so much more sense—and would bring more joy to a reading experience—than this corporate boredom.

What mutant urgently need is art and culture! Using mutant powers for creativity and useless beauty! If Krakoa is really a paradise where is the art indeed?
    Last edited by Exodus; 05-28-2021 at 08:03 AM.