Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #20 Review *spoilers*

A thread was up earlier and we should really be talking about this book so I am going to try to start it up. This really good issue that people should read for themselves.But the cliff notes

-Mystique goes to space on the Orchis base to destroy Nimrod and fails her mission

- In the process of failing she makes Nimrod lose his human side(read the book) which Head Orchis Scientist Alica Gregor successfully put in the Nimrod

-Xavier and Magneto basically ignore Mystique plea to bring back Irene, So it is time for her to burn this thing down

Poor Dr Gregor.jpg

poor mystique.jpg

moria.jpg

The biggest news for me is that Moria showed up in a book, Which signals that HoX/Pox storyline stuff is play. The last page of this issue says This Fall: Inferno
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-26-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Okay. I’ll bite. Could be interesting. Decent issue too.

Looking forward to more details about Inferno II.

This has been great. Ironically the efforts of Xavier and Magneto have only succeeded in creating a more dangerous and angry Nimrod and angering Mystique. They are jerks.

Interesting that Moira has the Destiny diaries.

Inferno should probably be Hickman's new series and it looks like Moira, Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Emma are going to be protagonist. So I guess that's why it was that hint in Marauders that Emma knows about Moira.

Love that Nimrod becomes the version we're used to from Powers Of X via the process of losing Gregor's memories. There was a bit of a storytelling contrivance in this issue of the heroes waiting the instant it's already too late to act so that the story can happen - Mystique could have snuck in with the bomb at any time and set it off in a storage locker or somewhere no-one would notice.

Also, the truth behind why Moira doesn't want any precogs on the island - she has Destiny's diaries and wants exclusive access to future knowledge. Did she know that stopping Nimrod would fail before it happened?

Now that we can rule out Storm being in Inferno, there are three possibilities:
    Hickman makes two series
    Storm joins SWORD
    Storm series is written by someone else

Astonishing Member

One has to wonder why it took a freaking Nimrod for them to notice that a shape shifting mutant has infiltrated their high secruity facility?

Considering their mission and world view, they should have had scanners everywhere and monitored 24/7 if not by people than at least machines. Heck put a massive X-gene damper bubble over the whole facility while they are it. Especialy with the whole attack on the Mothermold in the past.

It's like running a nuclear power plant and not having any geiger counters or other radiation measuring devices anywhere.

Side note:
    I have the feeling the name Inferno for the upcomming story is once again just a recycling of the name of a famous old storyline but with no real connection at all. Just like Heros Reborn right now. So don't expect anything related to that original storyline.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Hickman's Mystique continues to deliver. Loved that exchange between her and Forge in the beginning. Hate that Raven couldn't take out anyone before she was killed, but happy to see the doctor lose her husband again.

Very excited see Moira X continue to plan ahead. Love a resourceful Queen.

Extraordinary Member

So you are telling me that Nimrod, the greatest threat to the future of mutantkind was being born and these guys sent in a blackmailed mystique.They even admit they had other options in other monsters.Even if mystique was there best stealth option they should have bad a backup.Or maybe made 2-3 mystique's and give them specific instructions memories with more of the black-hole bombs.They did it with Wolverine in X-force and that guy needs adamantium.
    Or have magneto, technopaths or manifold who can someone stuff like black holes and suns by warping space itself.Hell have an army of the clones.
    Or better yet use Eva bell and then wipe her mind of this.
    I love the issue but damn these guys are stupid af

Extraordinary Member

People have been predicting a new Inferno for over a year, and now it comes to pass. The big question is how much it will have to do with the original Inferno. Sinister is on Krakoa, we recently saw N'Astirh in Cable, though he's safely imprisoned, and Madelyne not being resurrected has been brought up multiple times. The image of the baby next to Moira's head implies a connection since the kidnapping of babies was a major part of the original Inferno. On the other hand, the tease being at the end of the issue where it seems Mystique has decided to 'burn it all down' would suggest that her attempt to sabotage Krakoa is what sets the Inferno off. I find it hard to believe Hickman would lift the title directly from the 80s event on not tie it back to that event.

Just by the title it seems to me to be more of an event than a book. Maybe a mini-series but not something that would last over 6 issues.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Wow this was... unexpected. I mean Inferno has been teased for a while now and Hickman writing a follow-up story to the Moira/Destiny drama has always been a safe assumption, but for that to spin into an ongoing book? Unless Hickman is focusing on event books/minis going forward? Need to know all the details now!!!

The great news is, it looks like whatever it is it will be drawn by Mahmud Asrar: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/infe...comics-krakoa/

I know that Mystique is a POS but Charles and Erik are assholes and are really asking her to betray them. The fact that they’re using another member of the ruling Council as a personal assassin and errand girl shows how messed up their setup is.

Also I really like this main branch of Orchis as antagonists. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

Either Charles and Erik are so full of themselves they truly believed sending Mystique all by herself was the best course of action to deal with a threat such as Nimrod, or they gambled the survival of mutantkind on a loyalty test.

BANNED

This was the most HoX/PoX issue I have read since while......since HoX/PoX. It is my probably my anticipated and best issue for Hicks storytelling and Hickman delivered this book quite interestingly. I guess they could have send X-Force or Hellions to this mission but I think I get why Mags/Charles wanted this to be her mission overall. Seeing how revealing Moira (who has read Irene's diaries of the future) gives instability for Charles and Xavier to run Krakoa so they want this mission to be confidential about Nimrod going online and keep Mystique(on resurrecting Irene) on the line.
    Last edited by Vishop; 05-26-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    This has been great. Ironically the efforts of Xavier and Magneto have only succeeded in creating a more dangerous and angry Nimrod and angering Mystique. They are jerks.

Interesting that Moira has the Destiny diaries.

Inferno should probably be Hickman's new series and it looks like Moira, Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Emma are going to be protagonist. So I guess that's why it was that hint in Marauders that Emma knows about Moira.
    I get the feeling it won't end well for any involved. All of them seem to be arrogant in some way or biting off more than they can chew.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia