Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Humphrey Bogart favorite movies?

So, he started out as a character actor I believe in gangster movies in the 1930s-40s then moved on to more leading man roles. What are some of your favorites/recommendations for him? I've seen The African Queen. I liked the chemistry between him and Katherine Hepburn. Sabrina I quite liked as well. Even though the filmmakers said there was no chemistry b/w him and Audrey I thought it was a charming movie. Plus William Holden as a cad was good. I want to see The Caine Mutiny.

All-New Member

The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Casablanca

BANNED

For me it is a tie between Casablanca and Sabrina.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, he started out as a character actor I believe in gangster movies in the 1930s-40s then moved on to more leading man roles. What are some of your favorites/recommendations for him? I've seen The African Queen. I liked the chemistry between him and Katherine Hepburn. Sabrina I quite liked as well. Even though the filmmakers said there was no chemistry b/w him and Audrey I thought it was a charming movie. Plus William Holden as a cad was good. I want to see The Caine Mutiny.

This could be because he was pissed that Audrey was cast in the role and sometimes it felt he was showing little interest with the movie. He wanted his wife Laruen Bacall to play Sabrina not Audrey.

However I thought the chemistry was still good, especially the part when Sabrina sings that french song to Linus when they are coming back from dinner...How could Linus not have falling in love with Sabrina after that.

My favourite Bogart movies are:
    The Maltese Falcon
    Casablanca
    The Big Sleep
    To Have and Have Not
    Key Largo
    In a Lonely Place

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The Maltese Falcon
    Casablanca
    The Big Sleep
    To Have and Have Not
    Key Largo
    In a Lonely Place
    IN A LONELY PLACE is a great movie. I could list a whole lot of Bogart movies--I have so many favourites--but IN A LONELY PLACE is one of those movies that gets little attention and deserves more. I was amazed when I first saw it. The way all the characters are written--these are grown-ups, people who have gone through wars and have no childish delusions about life.

The fact that Bogart didn't care on the set of SABRINA is probably what makes his performance so charming in that movie. I don't know why I ship them--they really shouldn't be together--but somehow that movie always worked for me and I must have been only about ten years old the first time I saw it on T.V.

Boisterously Confused

The Maltese Falcon
    Casablanca
    The Big Sleep
    To Have and Have Not
    Key Largo
    In a Lonely Place
    That's pretty well my list too, but I'd add Deadline U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    For me it is a tie between Casablanca and Sabrina.
    Me too. I'd also include...

Beat The Devil
    (1953)

The Maltese Falcon
    Casablanca
    The Big Sleep
    To Have and Have Not
    Key Largo
    In a Lonely Place
    The only thing I’d add to this list is you’re missing Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too. I'd also include...

Beat The Devil
    (1953)

I enjoyed that one too. Of course it always made me wonder if the idea seed emergered whilst Houston and Capote were drinking and one of them slurred out "What if all the characters in The Maltese Falcon had been idiots?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    IN A LONELY PLACE is a great movie. I could list a whole lot of Bogart movies--I have so many favourites--but IN A LONELY PLACE is one of those movies that gets little attention and deserves more. I was amazed when I first saw it. The way all the characters are written--these are grown-ups, people who have gone through wars and have no childish delusions about life.
    Yeah, it's a great film. I think I've only seen it once, it's not something that crops up a lot on tv, but it made an impact when I watched it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's pretty well my list too, but I'd add Deadline U.S.A.
    I don't think I've seen that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    The only thing I’d add to this list is you’re missing Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
    Now that I've seen, but I don't remember much about it, other than it was pretty grim.

BANNED

The African Queen is the only movie I can stand to watch him in with any regularity.

it's free on Prime at the moment, btw
    Last edited by green_garnish; 05-25-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Casablanca is a perfect movie, in my opinion. I think it is the best example of what the Hollywood Studio system in the 30s and 40s could accomplish when all the factors were firing on all cylinders.

I like a lot of other Bogart movies like Treasure of the Sierra Madre, To Have and Have Not, In a Lonely Place, but Casablanca is truly a special film that I don't think has ever truly been topped.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

The fact that Bogart didn't care on the set of SABRINA is probably what makes his performance so charming in that movie. I don't know why I ship them--they really shouldn't be together--but somehow that movie always worked for me and I must have been only about ten years old the first time I saw it on T.V.
    Yes, but this is what made Bogat such a cool actor, I salute whoever said any Bogat movie on the coolest movie thread.

However, I felt he could have been more professional. he was not even nice to Audrey Hepburn, who was still quite an upcoming actress during Sabrina, I think that was her major second movie after Roman Holiday.

Also I just wont have seen Lauren Bacall in the role. if you watch Humphrey and Bacall in a film like The Big Sleep. Bacall always came of as an older and experienced lady in her films with Borgat when in fact she was just 19 and he was 50 when they started making movies and got together.

Bacall's screen presence has never come off as young , approachable or naïve. which is what the main themes of Sabrina was about. Humphrey should have realized Lauren would have been miscast in the role even if they were married in real life.

Sabrina was meant to be for Audrey and at the same time, I don't see any other older man that a younger woman like Sabrina would have fallen for had Humphrey not had played the role of Linus.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-25-2021 at 04:36 PM.

They kept pairing Audrey with way-older actors in the '50s. I read Cary Grant was so self-conscious about the age difference between him and Audrey Hepburn in Charade he made sure the plot had her pursuing him and not the other way around (of course, Cary looked terrific and at least a decade younger than he actually was, but that's neither here nor there).

Oh, favorite Bogart films? Gotta go with the obvious: Casablanca is one of the most enjoyable films ever made. He's terrific, everyone's terrific - it's got it all.