Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Best Single Season In All Of Trek

Out of all the TV series of the Star Trek franchise, which one had the single best season?

Season 6 of Deep Space 9 is my all-time favourite.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay View Post
    Season 6 of Deep Space 9 is my all-time favourite.
    This gets my vote too. Overall it was an intense ride, character growth, and no boring fillers

Season 5 of DS9 for me, with Season 6 being a close second.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Season 2 of The Original Series. It featured the first look at Vulcan ("Amok Time"), Spock's parents ("Journey To Babel"), the menace of Nomad ("The Changeling") and the Planet Killer ("The Doomsday Machine"), the age old battle of man versus machine ("The Ultimate Computer") and the sheer awesomeness of Spock as a gangster ("A Piece of the Action").
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Season 4 of TNG. It was pretty much the last time the Federation was not presented as a military operation, and every story was imaginative and gripping. Star Trek as a franchise never really found its footing again.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Season 2 of The Original Series. It featured the first look at Vulcan ("Amok Time"), Spock's parents ("Journey To Babel"), the menace of Nomad ("The Changeling") and the Planet Killer ("The Doomsday Machine"), the age old battle of man versus machine ("The Ultimate Computer") and the sheer awesomeness of Spock as a gangster ("A Piece of the Action").
    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Season 4 of TNG. It was pretty much the last time the Federation was not presented as a military operation, and every story was imaginative and gripping. Star Trek as a franchise never really found its footing again.
    These were going to be my 2 picks with the edge going to TNG even though Amok Time is my all-time favorite Trek anything.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    This gets my vote too. Overall it was an intense ride, character growth, and no boring fillers
    Agreed wholeheartedly. I would go as far as saying that the episode where Garak and Sisko trick the Romulans into fighting alongside the Federation isn't just great sci-fi telly; it's great telly full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Star Trek Into Darkness was built on the idea that Starfleet isn't supposed to be a military and Star Trek Beyond reconfirmed "Peak Performance" (TNG)'s canonically establishing that Starfleet isn't a military (still find it funny that it's still debated despite the question being answered in the text).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Star Trek Into Darkness was built on the idea that Starfleet isn't supposed to be a military and Star Trek Beyond reconfirmed "Peak Performance" (TNG)'s canonically establishing that Starfleet isn't a military (still find it funny that it's still debated despite the question being answered in the text).
    I've always taken it to imply that the definition of a "military" has changed by then, so that within the text the Trekverse doesn't consider Starfleet as the military according to their advanced definitions, but to us in the 21st century they fill out several of the checkmarks. After all, for example institutions like law enforcement have changed over the centuries (from soldiers to guards to watchmen. The modern cop is only a couple hundred years old and is still a pretty recent invention compared to past definitions and labels of law enforcement). Same thing with other concepts like non-tangible money (like credit, checks, and more recently crypto).

First Season of The Lower Decks
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

TNG Season 5, 6 and 7 are very consistent in greatness. I can pick any of the 3 for best single season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I've always taken it to imply that the definition of a "military" has changed by then, so that within the text the Trekverse doesn't consider Starfleet as the military according to their advanced definitions, but to us in the 21st century they fill out several of the checkmarks. After all, for example institutions like law enforcement have changed over the centuries (from soldiers to guards to watchmen. The modern cop is only a couple hundred years old and is still a pretty recent invention compared to past definitions and labels of law enforcement). Same thing with other concepts like non-tangible money (like credit, checks, and more recently crypto).
    Maybe? I will freely concede that they do fill in at least certain military roles at times, but I still find it interesting that the "yes military" side seems to like to ignore those couple stories.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe? I will freely concede that they do fill in at least certain military roles at times, but I still find it interesting that the "yes military" side seems to like to ignore those couple stories.
    Right, filling in military roles at times is evident, but it's not the only thing they do. I'm pretty neutral on the matter myself, but I'm really not opposed to any arguments that state that Starfleet does more in their overall mission than what modern militaries do, and are less heavy-handed in their approach and philosophy than modern militaries anyway (like Starfleet's #1 goal is science, exploration, and interstellar anthropology, not warfare or defense). For some, those are things that are pretty fundamental to what constitutes a military.
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-27-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly. I would go as far as saying that the episode where Garak and Sisko trick the Romulans into fighting alongside the Federation isn't just great sci-fi telly; it's great telly full stop.
    In the Pale Moonlight heavily influenced why I voted for Season 6. It was my personal favorite episode for DS9. (Easily in the top 3 of all Star Trek)

The conflicts of Sisko. Stick to his principles? Or do what it takes to win this war and end further death? The execution of the plot was flawless. Finally, the layers of Garak's Planning convinced me he's by far the most dangerous character in the show.

I showed this episode to a buddy of mine that never watched DS9. At the end of the show, his reply was a very quiet "Holy sh!t"
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-28-2021 at 06:39 AM.