Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    See, if this was reality, these takes would mean something, but it's not, so they don't. There's no real world application to these decisions beyond what any fan puts way too much thought into. A lot of y'all are being the comic book guy during that one simpsons episode.

It doesn't matter matter as much as y'all try to make it matter.

Sometimes,you guys need to let things, that don't matter, go.

Half of this thread is about something that's not talked about, not focused on and has no suggestion it will ever be focused on.

And you can't tell me it's not an aesthetic thing when so many other characters have this issue that fans don't bemoan about for a billion years. Forge is also still one legged.
    Now i'm ful aware this are characters whose actions are all the result of an author(multiple even), but they must sound at least verisimile in human behaviour to trigger an emotional feedback with the reader. Again it does not have to be average guy verisimile but some sympathetic trait here and there, a speech, an insight and similar, sometimes help having a side character acting as sort of emotional anchor, a doctor watson if you please. But I admit that in this particvular case wiht Karma, a lot fo implied reasoning behind her choices are ascribable to her past history, not the most familiar and common knowledge evne for hardcore fans.
    As for my comparison to Cliver Barker most known work, I want to point out that the lore of the Cenobites has many point in common with the new lore for Mutants that Hickman(and Vista and the others) is lyaing out. COuld be coincidence, an homage or perhaps an hint that if not careful the merry mutants could become not so merry. The fact that they start to see pain and death as just a mundane task, almost banal, is kind of disturbing and i think is on purpose. You are not supposed to find the crucible thing cool. (BTW so far some of the beloved mature xmen are shown to see it as necessary thing, but so far none of them seem over fond of it).
    I hope i cleared my point.
    And talking of comic book character as they were real people is, was and will always be hilariously fun. As long you understand is just that. FUN.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

He's about 20, she's 10?

She's just more mature than he is.
    My flag is bacon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    has karma actually had an on-screen girlfriend yet?
    It would cause a firestorm and thus will never happen, but imagine if having Tran stuck in the back of her brain affected Shan's sexuality? Somewhere in the back of her noggin, when she would think of a boy, Tran would be thinking 'uh, gross, not while I'm in here, please...' and when she sees an attractive woman, Tran's nodding his approval. It's all subconscious, he's not driving the bus, or even talking out loud where she can hear in her brain, but she might well have been getting some vibes, and if his feelings on the matter were stronger than hers...

Now that they are apart, suddenly she doesn't like girls anymore, because she was being influenced by the passenger in her backbrain. And the internet catches on fire because of 'lesbian erasure' or whatever, despite her character hardly ever getting to be one anyway, since she's been more or less in limbo for decades and mostly been gay because she says so, not because she's had a string of girlfriends or a long-lasting relationship with another woman.

Or, even more fauxrageous, Tran wasn't shown in 'his' new body being resurrected because they are saving it for a big reveal. He's spent the last few years being a passenger in a girl's body, and 'he' no longer identifies as 'he,' so next issue, we meet Shan's new *sister.*

But does Marvel have the courage to have the person named Tran be y'know...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    He's about 20, she's 10?

She's just more mature than he is.
    Age doesn't make one an adult. Ask a certain orange-skinned mutant.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 05-30-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It would cause a firestorm and thus will never happen, but imagine if having Tran stuck in the back of her brain affected Shan's sexuality? Somewhere in the back of her noggin, when she would think of a boy, Tran would be thinking 'uh, gross, not while I'm in here, please...' and when she sees an attractive woman, Tran's nodding his approval. It's all subconscious, he's not driving the bus, or even talking out loud where she can hear in her brain, but she might well have been getting some vibes, and if his feelings on the matter were stronger than hers...

Now that they are apart, suddenly she doesn't like girls anymore, because she was being influenced by the passenger in her backbrain. And the internet catches on fire because of 'lesbian erasure' or whatever, despite her character hardly ever getting to be one anyway, since she's been more or less in limbo for decades and mostly been gay because she says so, not because she's had a string of girlfriends or a long-lasting relationship with another woman.

Or, even more fauxrageous, Tran wasn't shown in 'his' new body being resurrected because they are saving it for a big reveal. He's spent the last few years being a passenger in a girl's body, and 'he' no longer identifies as 'he,' so next issue, we meet Shan's new *sister.*

Can you imagine the collective conniption....with either of those stories.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Can you imagine the collective conniption....with either of those stories.
    Oh, yeah. I imagine neither will happen because the flames might actually come out of my computer and burn my face.

I stopped being woke because it wasn't worth the effort.
    My flag is bacon.

Amazing Member

Imma go wash my eyes with some good old Dani/Karma stanning.

Deleted post
    My flag is bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    If Forge died and he were resurrected by the five, he would choose to be whole because it's a not a side-effect of his mutant power.

Vita argued that disability exist in life which I agree.

But what she doesn't seem to realize that if those disabled people were to be given a second chance of a new body, nobody in real life would choose a disability especially when it reminds us of the pain and suffering of losing it in the first place.

If we were born with that disability, then it's a different matter altogether.

Try cutting off your limbs and see whether a metal leg is just as good as the real one.
    Not everyone is disabled due to losing something. Millions of people are disabled due to genetics and how they were born and know no different. You are making a blanket statement to speak for all disabled people, which you actually cant do. And for those that did have an event which led to them being disabled; its not always a reminder of suffering. There are people with disabilities that would choose to keep them if given the chance to not have them

The problem with Karma is that Marvel has never really done anything with her disability. I will admit I didnt read Liu's run but even in NM it hasnt been brought up by any of the writers. We have no idea how she deals with it or her opinions. Giving her some character development in regards to that would have done wonders to make this more palatable and not some afterthought
    Last edited by Havok83; 06-01-2021 at 07:35 AM.

I guess I'm less concerned about what Karma might choose vis a vis replacing her missing leg -- I'm more interested in the process itself, that's where I have questions. Is the resurrection process basically like a 3-D printer that replicates the last version of the deceased like a snapshot in time? Can it only produce organic matter, or non-organic matter [like Karma's mechanical leg], too?

There are some interesting implications if the latter -- how does it produce functioning mechanical components, for example? Could Wolverine go through the process to mass-produce a bunch of Adamantium?

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    I guess I'm less concerned about what Karma might choose vis a vis replacing her missing leg -- I'm more interested in the process itself, that's where I have questions. Is the resurrection process basically like a 3-D printer that replicates the last version of the deceased like a snapshot in time? Can it only produce organic matter, or non-organic matter [like Karma's mechanical leg], too?

There are some interesting implications if the latter -- how does it produce functioning mechanical components, for example? Could Wolverine go through the process to mass-produce a bunch of Adamantium?
    They are clones. The resurrection process creates the mutant based on the DNA thats injected to them. Considering Proteus has the power to transmute matter, he can be used to make adjustments as they emerge from the egg. Its what makes things like Wolverine having adamantium and Karma with her leg make sense

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They are clones. The resurrection process creates the mutant based on the DNA thats injected to them. Considering Proteus has the power to transmute matter, he can be used to make adjustments as they emerge from the egg. Its what makes things like Wolverine having adamantium and Karma with her leg make sense
    Has Marvel itself stated this to be the case?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Has Marvel itself stated this to be the case?
    They have not. In fact they've gone out of their way to show a vat of adamantium that is used to re-coat Wolverine's skeleton when he gets resurrected, so it would seem that they weren't relying on Proteus transmuting matter for that, at least, and probably just lopped off clone-Karma's leg and plopped her old bionic leg on it, for whatever reason they are going with.

Incredible Member

They have not. In fact they've gone out of their way to show a vat of adamantium that is used to re-coat Wolverine's skeleton when he gets resurrected, so it would seem that they weren't relying on Proteus transmuting matter for that, at least, and probably just lopped off clone-Karma's leg and plopped her old bionic leg on it, for whatever reason they are going with.
    Thought as much. So basically whatever Marvel does storywise, if it doesn't jive with what is the pet fan theory of the day is we're going to see people get bent out of shape over it again, like we did with Karma's leg.

Sigh.