Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman: The World Announced

This September, DC takes Batman’s war on crime worldwide in a new hardcover anthology, Batman: The World. This 184-page book is a first-of-its-kind publishing event, featuring Batman stories by top creative teams from across the globe, taking place in their home countries. Batman: The World launches worldwide on Tuesday, September 14, 2021—just in time for Batman Day 2021 (Saturday, September 18, 2021). The complete anthology will be localized to the following international territories: North America, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, the Czech Republic, Russia, Poland, Turkey, Mexico, Brazil, China, Korea, and Japan.

“Batman has grown into a true pop culture icon, known the world over,” said DC publisher and chief creative officer Jim Lee. “Batman: The World is DC’s way of showing fans everywhere that Batman is more than a character; Batman is a phenomenon that transcends languages and borders.”

Kicking off the anthology is a story from the award-winning duo of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo (Batman: Damned, Joker, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, Batman/Deathblow). In the story titled “Global City,” Batman reflects on his time in Gotham, protecting his city and its inhabitants from all manner of threats. But when he looks beyond the bridges, alleys, and skyscrapers, the Dark Knight realizes that the call for justice knows no borders, as there are wrongs to be righted everywhere. Their story sets off a series of tales chronicling Batman’s past and present, stories told by some of the best-known international voices in comics:

Mathieu Gabella (writer)/Thierry Martin (artist) – France

Paco Roca (writer/artist) – Spain

Alessandro Bilotta (writer)/Nicola Mari (artist) – Italy

Benjamin von Eckartsberg (writer)/Thomas von Kummant (artist) – Germany

Stepan Kopriva (writer)/Michal Suchánek (artist) – Czech Republic

Tomasz Kolodziejczak (writer)/Piotr Kowalski, Brad Simpson (artists) – Poland

Ertan Ergil (writer)/Ethem Onur Bilgiç (artist) – Turkey

Alberto Chimal (writer)/Rulo Valdés (artist) – Mexico

Carlos Estefan (writer)/Pedro Mauro (Artist) – Brazil

Inpyo Jeon (writer)/Jae-kwang Park, Kim Jung Gi (artists) – Korea)

Xu Xiaodong, Lu Xiaotong (writers)/Qiu Kun, Yi Nan (artists) – China

Kirill Kutuzov, Egor Prutov (writers)/Natalia Zaidova (artist) – Russia

Okadaya Yuichi (writer/artist) - Japan

Each international version of Batman: The World will also feature its own unique cover art by the local creative team. International publishing and distribution partners include Urban Comics (France), ECC Ediciones (Spain), Panini (Italy, Brazil, Germany), CREW (Czech Republic), Azbooka-Atticus (Russia), Egmont Polska (Poland), JBC (Turkey), Editorial Televisa (Mexico, Central America), Sigongsa (Korea), Starfish Media (China), and Shopro (Japan).
    Last edited by Hypo; 05-26-2021 at 08:09 AM.

I really like the idea of this book. Definitely interested.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Paco Roca.

Oh.
    Interesting. I don't know the others, but I'm guessing they're as much relevant to their national markets as Paco Roca is for ours. So, this is a thing I'm probably going to at least glance through.

So each one of these is a hardcover book? If so how often are they released? Is it montly? Quarterly? So many questions!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The only name I recognize is Kim Jung Gi because his ridiculously large and detailed art was trending a while back

So, is there a cover-price listed for this "184-Page Hardcover Anthology"?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I will definitely check this out. Though I hope more of them are less "Elseworldy" (I've never been a big reader of those) and more Batman-mainstream-continuity-friendly (or continuity light mainstream comic Batman).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Sounds interesting.

Theres an Arkham Asylum in every country? lol

Extraordinary Member

Art by Lee Bermejo

Art by Thierry Martin

Art by Qui Kun and Yi Nan

Extraordinary Member

Art by Natalia Zaidova

Thierry Martin seems to understand the appeal of Catwoman's skintight costume and flirtation .

Is that Maps from Gotham Academy? Or an original Robin?

Anti-Monitor cameo .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm gonna guess it's new, like a local Chinese girl that gets involved when Batman visits... what are you wearing, Bruce, you look ridiculous... I mean more than usual

Bermejo's art is just so much better than anyone elses. It's almost not fair to have his art in an anthology.

these kinda books always bum me out because the entire continent of Africa typically somehow fails to make the cut. that major bummer aside, this looks like it could be interesting. made me think of Batman incorporated, in the sense that I'm always down to see how the character is interpreted through the non-american lens. I'll probably check this out

EDIT: meh changed my mind, I probably won't.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-07-2021 at 10:39 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."