Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    It is a really bad sign when grant Morrison literally found teen Jon absolutely unwrittable
    Morrison used Jon as the voice of frustration new fans have over the status quo and how every new generation of heroes gets thrown in the dumpster while Clark's never goes away. Actually read the book before you try to mangle it to fit your strawman argument. That entire issue used all of DC as a soapbox to complain about the modern comic book industry. Morrison did not single Jon out for anything they didn't already use Superman, Batman and many others to do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Morrison used Jon as the voice of frustration new fans have over the status quo and how every new generation of heroes gets thrown in the dumpster while Clark's never goes away. Actually read the book before you try to mangle it to fit your strawman argument. That entire issue used all of DC as a soapbox to complain about the modern comic book industry. Morrison did not single Jon out for anything they didn't already use Superman, Batman and many others to do.
    He literally had to make Jon a psychopath to be interesting

That is literally the point on why teen Jon is poison

You cannot make him interesting without replacing him with either his younger self or a little psychopathic Jason Todd ripoff
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-07-2021 at 06:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Meh, it's Taylor. If there's anyone who can make this succeed mid-term (long-term is of course out of the question for almost everything), it's him. Even if every time I think about it I just get more convinced he'll keep Jon as a Clark-lite with some empty statements that he's somehow significantly different.

Personally, I'm much more excited about Morrison's Superman & The Authority, PKJ's Action Comics, Seeley's Superman vs Lobo and Yang's Batman/Superman.
    He is going to make Jon Clark-lite

This is going to fail

He literally had to make Jon a psychopath to be interesting

That is literally the point on why teen Jon is poison

You cannot make him interesting without replacing him with either his younger self or a little psychopathic Jason Todd ripoff
    Jon was treated as the voice of reason rebelling against a broken system. He's the one who turned to Hal, the protagonist, to try and change things. What?

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Jon was treated as the voice of reason rebelling against a broken system. He's the one who turned to Hal, the protagonist, to try and change things. What?
    Yeah, Clark was the unsympathetic one in the story, straight from Morrison’s mouth:

"It's my cruelest portrayal of Superman that I've ever done, that makes him out to be the worst he can possibly be," Morrison said in a statement. "I'm hoping people will really dig it, because it's almost a roast of modern comics, including my own."
    https://www.cbr.com/grant-morrison-c...-blackstars-2/

And as an Elseworlds, there’s a lot more leeway to play around with these characters anyway.

Y'all wish you could get a Superman and Jon moment like this from Taylor.

Last edited by Gaius; 06-07-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Y'all wish you could get a Superman and Jon moment like this from the Taylor.

I wish it un-ironically xD If main canon has to be fuzzy and wholesome, I wouldn’t mind getting GoT-style drama elsewhere tbh.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Y'all wish you could get a Superman and Jon moment like this from Taylor.
    Well,jon kills clark in that story..
    Because jon felt like clark hates his kids and that clark tells there is no future..Jon was always being limited by clark in the series.so he joins hal..Morrison wrote it.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-08-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

I would rehash secret empire with teen Jon as the villain

Replace shield with Cadmus(an agency of the United planets created to deal with alien threats) as teen Jon uses the agency to seize power using a law that gives Cadmus absolute power in the event of a world ending emergency after the justice league are teleported into the phantom zone in an alien attack staged by teen Jon.

Turns out teen Jon is a nazi clone created by the Ultra-Humanite as the real Jon is still missing, as he works with a ruling council consisting of members of the fourth reich(renamed cyclops as an homage to HBOs watchmen) to rule America(or the world).

The story kicks off after the real Jon(14 years old or younger) comes back and rallies the teen Titans and the younger generation of heroes to save the justice league and confront and kill nazi Jon and bring down the cyclops regime.

Real Jon becomes a teen titan and bendis Jon is turned into a forgotten dead nazi villain whose really just a puppet of the Ultra-Humanite and cyclops, the legion of superheroes fucks off to their time because they realize that they trained a tyrant who almost destroyed the world as their time is erased and replaced with a proper LOSH with a history with Clark and better costumes.

Superman meets his son again and basically is happy about his second chance and remarks about how he never really got good vibes or liked teen Jon

Teen Jon’s reign of terror pretty much defines young Jon forever...as he irrationally uses this event as proof that he is unworthy of the Superman mantle.

Setting up a proper arc where Jon slowly either embraces the mantle PROPERLY or creates a unique mantle.

Yeah. How about no ? You get boring and flat and BASIC kid Jon in books, be it adventures or the original Superman Rebirth run where he was basically the main character already.

And the angle they seems to have for him, judging by two out of three series in FS is great and something which can't be done (anymore) with Clark because the latter is stuck in his Iconic status.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah. How about no ? You get boring and flat and BASIC kid Jon in books, be it adventures or the original Superman Rebirth run where he was basically the main character already.

And the angle they seems to have for him, judging by two out of three series in FS is great and something which can't be done (anymore) with Clark because the latter is stuck in his Iconic status.
    Future state only enforced my view that teen Jon is nothing to preserve

He is basically just a Clark clone

Future state only enforced my view that teen Jon is nothing to preserve

He is basically just a Clark clone
    Is that why people where complaining sbout superman of metropolis?

also,that why people loved the portrayal in sm/ww where jon was a clark clone?pick your poison man.there was even jon as power ranger in future state..

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Is that why people where complaining sbout superman of metropolis?

also,that why people loved the portrayal in sm/ww where jon was a clark clone?pick your poison man.there was even jon as power ranger in future state..
    Yeah, Future State couldn't decide on the characterization for loads of characters. Jon, Nightwing, Superman... Everyone was all over the place. It's no more an indictment of Jon than anyone else. I'm currently slogging through my backlog and I just got to all the Future State Superman stuff last night. It's fresh in my mind, sadly, and all over the damn place.

Yeah, Future State couldn't decide on the characterization for loads of characters. Jon, Nightwing, Superman... Everyone was all over the place. It's no more an indictment of Jon than anyone else. I'm currently slogging through my backlog and I just got to all the Future State Superman stuff last night. It's fresh in my mind, sadly, and all over the damn place.
    Yeah! i am just not interested in this...
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/hUGR4rRzQZ...V505bujg=s1600
    Especially,when you show ww out there in the next..
    This is just not a man of action...There is no energy,no passion,..etc.nothing there for me..Not something i can grasp..
    I think,future state was different persepectives of different writer.Those who didn't have any idea, wrote jon as clark.The sky father,i mean.

I personally like Jon in legion of superheroes(always wanted jon to be cyborg009 or powerranger) and Superman of metropolis..A kid with heart not afraid of making mess.Although,i must admit i think i could have done better with premise of bottling the city.He would have ofcourse walked past clark's shadow and to brainiac(same plot).I would have had a payoff where jon is hated by everyone in metropolis.He would have apologised/thanked to guardian and mister miracle ofcourse for having his back.His equation with kara would have been (he likes her as person.But,he disagrees with her regarding various things..The army would have branded jon as the bad guy.Supergirl would effectively be seen as "true" successor of superman by metropolis people(Not all of them).Jon would be The "disgrace" to superman legacy.It would be like how titans and the league reacted to jon when he showed up/blew things up(rip titans tower).stuff like that...But,the kid he saved would have idolised him.Jon sees the kid making a mess trying to protect a puppy.He smiles,winks at the camera and jumps into this portal to fight of timeluchadores at the end.

It's Eerie how jon is reminiscent of an anime protagonist..I would have built this huge cast for jon with the likes of mister miracle,gaurdian...etc.If jon has capes i think this would be it.It would have been the birth of a Hero..Superman reborn..Basically taking cues from goldenage superman giving the cosmic flair of the silverage and bronze age..Taking cast members from postcrisis like bibbo,sawyer,turpin...etc.Yeah! i think rambled on...
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-09-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! i am just not interested in this...
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/hUGR4rRzQZ...V505bujg=s1600
    Especially,when you show ww out there in the next..
    This is just not a man of action...There is no energy,no passion,..etc.nothing there for me..Not something i can grasp..
    I think,future state was different persepectives of different writer.Those who didn't have any idea, wrote jon as clark.The sky father,i mean.

I personally like Jon in legion of superheroes(always wanted jon to be cyborg009 or powerranger) and Superman of metropolis..A kid with heart not afraid of making mess.Although,i must admit i think i could have done better with premise of bottling the city.He would have ofcourse walked past clark's shadow and to brainiac(same plot).I would have had a payoff where jon is hated by everyone in metropolis.He would have apologised/thanked to guardian and mister miracle ofcourse for having his back.His equation with kara would have been (he likes her as person.But,he disagrees with her regarding various things..The army would have branded jon as the bad guy.Supergirl would effectively be seen as "true" successor of superman by metropolis people(Not all of them).Jon would be The "disgrace" to superman legacy.It would be like how titans and the league reacted to jon when he showed up/blew things up(rip titans tower).stuff like that...But,the kid he saved would have idolised him.Jon sees the kid making a mess trying to protect a puppy.He smiles,winks at the camera and jumps into this portal to fight of timeluchadores at the end.

It's Eerie how jon is reminiscent of an anime protagonist..I would have built this huge cast for jon with the likes of mister miracle,gaurdian...etc.If jon has capes i think this would be it.It would have been the birth of a Hero..Superman reborn..Basically taking cues from goldenage superman giving the cosmic flair of the silverage and bronze age..Taking cast members from postcrisis like bibbo,sawyer,turpin...etc.Yeah! i think rambled on...
    I liked Jon in Superman of Metropolis as a premise but the story was way rushed, obviously due to the limited issue format. I think Jon making mistakes to the point of him not being trusted and straight-up disliked by people (especially in how he measured up to Clark in everyone's eyes) has the potential for a pretty decent and longer story arc. Him making mistakes and borderline bad decisions; figuring out how to do things his way and getting people to realize there's more than one "right way" to take care of business. People come to respect him eventually, but it ain't an easy or quick journey.

And yes, more Bibbo please!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog