Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Teen Jon isn’t ruining DC comics...but is definitely a symbol on why I wish dc never owned Superman

Damian would have NEVER been as robbed of potential growth as badly as Jon

Teen Jon has no potential for interesting stories...no personality to distinguish him from Clark...and no interesting coming of age stories to tell

He is a barren desert of NOTHING
    Damian has been robbed of potential. He constantly backslides on the same arc he's had over nearly two decades. He constantly is getting it together, stops agreeing with Bruce and kills someone causing Bruce to try and mend the gap between them and Damian won't have it. Then they mend their broken fence, Damian stops agreeing and becomes more hardcore and kills someone.

He's done it three times already. Damian is a mix tape with one song on it. Jon-- at least-- has two. If you want to argue one of those sucks pretty bad, that's perfectly fine, but let's not pretend that they haven't done more with Jon in his five years than they have with Damian in 15. One of them is constantly evolving (not gracefully, but they're certainly doing things with him). The other's the same brat he's always been and there's no end in sight for that.

Moreover, DC historically did a lot to help Superman. The last forty years have been a struggle (some decades worse than others) but if you genuinely think that the 30s-70s were bad for Superman under DC then you're really drinking way too much absinthe while reading up on your history.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Damian has been robbed of potential. He constantly backslides on the same arc he's had over nearly two decades. He constantly is getting it together, stops agreeing with Bruce and kills someone causing Bruce to try and mend the gap between them and Damian won't have it. Then they mend their broken fence, Damian stops agreeing and becomes more hardcore and kills someone.

He's done it three times already. Damian is a mix tape with one song on it. Jon-- at least-- has two. If you want to argue one of those sucks pretty bad, that's perfectly fine, but let's not pretend that they haven't done more with Jon in his five years than they have with Damian in 15. One of them is constantly evolving (not gracefully, but they're certainly doing things with him). The other's the same brat he's always been and there's no end in sight for that.

Moreover, DC historically did a lot to help Superman. The last forty years have been a struggle (some decades worse than others) but if you genuinely think that the 30s-70s were bad for Superman under DC then you're really drinking way too much absinthe while reading up on your history.
    At least the last time was deliberate sabotaging by editorial.

With Damian, all that needs to be done is to be break the cycle and progress forward. With Jon, he's hit his ceiling. There's no upward trajectory with him as a young adult as there is with Damian. Any and all "development," if you can call it that, has occurred off-panel. That's not "leaving it open for later expansion," that's just laziness.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    With Damian, all that needs to be done is to be break the cycle and progress forward. With Jon, he's hit his ceiling. There's no upward trajectory with him as a young adult as there is with Damian. Any and all "development," if you can call it that, has occurred off-panel. That's not "leaving it open for later expansion," that's just laziness.
    What’s so hilarious about this “later exposition” is that it is built on the assumption that anyone is interested in reading it, I don’t fucking care about Jon after he leaves with Jor-el and no one who matters does either...not even the writers care all that much

And I will NEVER buy a “lost years of Superboy” comic and that is the literal default position of pretty much every fan out there.

Not only did they create off-panel development for Superboy...they literally made it so that no one will ever be interested in reading it as a miniseries either

BANNED

Damian can grow...Jon cannot

This alone makes damian superior

Tell me...how can Jon grow from here and not be a boring Clark clone?
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-06-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Damian can grow...Jon cannot

This alone makes damian superior

Tons of ways but you've already made up your mind. Your entire argument is predicated on ignoring 15 years of publishing history for Damian and thinking he'll break his holding pattern but being adamant Jon never will presumably because you don't like him and conflate a loud subset of fans as all of them.

Jon can develop a lot as a young adult as many do when they go to college. He just found out he's something of a messianic figure. That's going to mess with him a bit. He's starting to unpack what happened to him. They could start developing him as more impulsive or maybe cynical. Maybe he's more open to killing guys like Mongul. There are lots of opportunities. He's only been a teen for a few years, significantly less than Damian has been around but somehow the Batbrat is more deserving of your trust even though he's betrayed his potential thrice.

To be succinct, miss me with your strawman bullshit.

BANNED

Tons of ways but you've already made up your mind. Your entire argument is predicated on ignoring 15 years of publishing history for Damian and thinking he'll break his holding pattern but being adamant Jon never will presumably because you don't like him and conflate a loud subset of fans as all of them.

Jon can develop a lot as a young adult as many do when they go to college. He just found out he's something of a messianic figure. That's going to mess with him a bit. He's starting to unpack what happened to him. They could start developing him as more impulsive or maybe cynical. Maybe he's more open to killing guys like Mongul. There are lots of opportunities. He's only been a teen for a few years, significantly less than Damian has been around but somehow the Batbrat is more deserving of your trust even though he's betrayed his potential thrice.

To be succinct, miss me with your strawman bullshit.
    You have a problem when Superman is easier to write than the son that’s suppose to be hipper and cooler

You literally have to pull shit out of your ass just to create an interesting storyline with teen Jon

Whereas with Damian...you just have to let him grow

Jon is harder to write than Damian and he will be erased or de-aged when the time comes
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-06-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Like 95% of the other characters in comics that are introduced as adults or young adults? Like literally almost all of them?

Fantastic Member

Superman vs Lobo is a gimme for me. Two of my favourites going at it. A "shut up and take my money" moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Like 95% of the other characters in comics that are introduced as adults or young adults? Like literally almost all of them?
    So he’s going to be a Conner clone or a Spider-Man clone

Thanks for proving my point

I think you missed the point entirely. You're point seems to be that without Jon's full real time childhood he's incapable of developing as a character. That simply isn't true at all. No one expects him to be Superman forever. So there's plenty of development possible to differentiate him from that, including becoming a different kind of Superman in his father's footsteps. It's not like one's teen years cement their adult personalities in stone - quite the opposite actually. So I'm not sure what point you took away from it, but it wasn't either of those.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Or maybe since he’ll be written by Tom Taylor he’ll be a Nightwing clone! Or is it the reverse if Nightwing was inspired by Superman in the first place?

Seriously, if you want the most anti-Clark version of Jon possible, you can read Morrison’s Blackstars where Jon hated being in his father’s shadow so much he committed freakin’ patricide.
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 06-07-2021 at 04:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Or maybe since he’ll be written by Tom Taylor he’ll be a Nightwing clone! Or is it the reverse if Nightwing was inspired by Superman in the first place?

Seriously, if you want the most anti-Clark version of Jon possible, you can read Morrison’s Blackstars where Jon hated being in his father’s shadow so much he committed freakin’ patricide.
    It is a really bad sign when grant Morrison literally found teen Jon absolutely unwrittable

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think you missed the point entirely. You're point seems to be that without Jon's full real time childhood he's incapable of developing as a character. That simply isn't true at all. No one expects him to be Superman forever. So there's plenty of development possible to differentiate him from that, including becoming a different kind of Superman in his father's footsteps. It's not like one's teen years cement their adult personalities in stone - quite the opposite actually. So I'm not sure what point you took away from it, but it wasn't either of those.
    In theory

In practice...not a single person is going to care long enough to even make this series make it past the 12th issue and jon will be erased or de-aged by next year

I guarantee it

Incredible Member

Meh, it's Taylor. If there's anyone who can make this succeed mid-term (long-term is of course out of the question for almost everything), it's him. Even if every time I think about it I just get more convinced he'll keep Jon as a Clark-lite with some empty statements that he's somehow significantly different.

Personally, I'm much more excited about Morrison's Superman & The Authority, PKJ's Action Comics, Seeley's Superman vs Lobo and Yang's Batman/Superman.