Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Strange Adventures #10 spoilers and discussion

I'm kinda susprised that no one made a thread about this issue yet. I have to say that it was a good issue and it seemed to solve many of the mysteries from the first issues.

It's basically a letter from Mr. Terrific to Alanna, explaining all the inconsistencies he had found during his investigation:

spoilers:
    The first is the invasion of the Pykkts to Rann. They are described by being ruthless and have conquered many planets but they easily lost against Rann, making many different mistakes during the war. And if they were known as ruthless why they didn't kill Adam the instant he got captured by them?

The second inconsistency is the current invasion of Earth. Because of the many crisis and attacks that have suffered, Earth seems more prepared than Rann to deal with invasions, but they losing and badly. Mr. Terrific points out that the attack of Phoenix was probably caused by a double agent cooperating with the Pykkts.

The final inconsistency is the dedication that Adam wrote for his daughter in his bio-book. Mr. Terrific comes to the conclussion that the message is an apologize for Aleea to read for Adam's actions, implying that she is alive and Adam had lied about her death.

With all these evidences, Mr. Terrific reveals that Adam is a double agent working with the Pykkts. When he got captured by them he made a deal with them. In exchange of losing the war against Rann, he would help them conquer Earth. All the genocides Adam caused to the Pykkts during the war were allowed by them, so that Adam would have an aliby so he could avoid that the heroes suspect of him as he would have a deep "hatred" towards the Pykkts. Mr. Terrific guesses that Aleea is alive and is used as a hostage by the Pykkts to ensure Adam's cooperation.

Alanna seemed to believe Mr. Terrific's words as she angrily smashed the mirror of the bathroom, before hearing Adam's voice, who had found the letter. The issue ended with Alanna ready to confront her husband.
    end of spoilers

So is there any salvaging Adam Strange in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is there any salvaging Adam Strange in this?
    No. Even if this end up as just an elseworld, it will still be the most well known and popular depiction of Adam Strange and it will inform how the next generation of writers and fans will see the character. No even Superman was able to fully escape DKR, what chance does Adam have?

Only if HBO Max debuts a tv show, animation or movie pretty soon, like next year, that becomes extremelly popular and show Adam as a badass good guy, I can see the character surviving as anything resembling a superhero.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 05-27-2021 at 11:48 AM.

If Adam Strange survived the butchery from the early 90s, he can survive an actually good series. Characters are inherently malleable.

Wow, this sounds like a dumpster fire. I knew they were going to do this to him as soon as I saw the first previews of the story with his statue being smeared with graffiti. So glad I avoided this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    If Adam Strange survived the butchery from the early 90s, he can survive an actually good series. Characters are inherently malleable.
    I adored this issue. It’s all there, all the clues are there from the beginning, and when Mr. T lays them out... man. The cover with Alanna wiping away the fog from the mirror was brilliant.

Now we’ll see if Mr. T’s theories are correct. He still has no proof, only supposition. The Adam/ Alanna conversation next issue should be something else.
    Cheers - CL

There is being malleable and there is being war criminal and a traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    There is being malleable and there is being war criminal and a traitor.
    This. Henry Pym STILL hasn't gotten past "the slap." Some things do come to define a character irrevocably.

Having just read the spoiler caption and not the book, one part doesn't make sense: why would Adam need a manufactured reason for the heroes to trust him? They already trusted him as an ally - the manufactured reason just throws doubt on his character, no?

The series be so good is exactly why Adam Strange is probably done as a heroic character, if it was trash, everyone would want to forget it or retcon it. Because is good and aclaimed, people will want to use it as an inspiration.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 05-27-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    No. Even if this end up as just an elseworld, it will still be the most well known and popular depiction of Adam Strange and it will inform how the next generation of writers and fans will see the character. No even Superman was able to fully escape DKR, what chance does Adam have?

Only if HBO Max debuts a tv show, animation or movie pretty soon, like next year, that becomes extremelly popular and show Adam as a badass good guy, I can see the character surviving as anything resembling a superhero.
    I mean, Kyle Rayner survived Omega Men and I don't think the popular interpretation of Mister Miracle has completely changed to view him as a depressed and suicidal escapism junkie, so I'll hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Having just read the spoiler caption and not the book, one part doesn't make sense: why would Adam need a manufactured reason for the heroes to trust him? They already trusted him as an ally - the manufactured reason just throws doubt on his character, no?
    spoilers:
    Probably because he knew that once the invasion of the Pykkts to Earth started, the heroes would investigate what happened in Rann. And once they found out Adam's war crimes against the Pykkts, they wouldn't look further. That's why he killed that guy of the first issue and said he was Pykkt spy, so the heroes would start the investigation and it would lead them to his genocides.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Kyle Rayner survived Omega Men and I don't think the popular interpretation of Mister Miracle has completely changed to view him as a depressed and suicidal escapism junkie, so I'll hope for the best.
    I think you, or someone else, mentioned it before and I don't get this Kyle comparison. What he did in Omega Men that was comparable to what Adam is doing here?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm thinking it's not as calculated as Terrific makes it seem, in that Adam is (also) acting out in anger.

"I'm going to kill you... Every one... All.. ALL of... you.. I'll kill.. all of you.."
    "Well, yeah, man. That's like... the plan."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The series be so good is exactly why Adam Strange is probably done as a heroic character, if it was trash, everyone would want to forget it or retcon it. Because is good and aclaimed, people will want to use it as an inspiration.
    Yeah, I can see this becoming the definitive interpretation. Great story, but heartbreaking.