Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Glad to see that Otto's deal with Mephisto is being woven into the story and will hopefully have more significance than just a parallel to Peter's deal.
    What do you mean?

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Sometimes I think ASM is not even a Spidey book. He almost doesn't appear there, and it has zero action.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Sometimes I think ASM is not even a Spidey book. He almost doesn't appear there, and it has zero action.
    They’re trying to return to the status quo of Peter being a constant loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    What do you mean?
    You didn't read the post-credit scene? Kindred spoke to Otto about his erased memories of being Superior Spider-Man, said he can make him his whole self again.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Damn, Spencer again with the deep cuts. I think the last time the robot parents was referenced was like 1997.... we even saw a panel of Vulture in his early 90s costume.

I appreciate these Easter eggs, but new readers (or even readers who started in the last decade) won’t know what the hell that’s about.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 06-02-2021 at 10:40 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You didn't read the post-credit scene? Kindred spoke to Otto about his erased memories of being Superior Spider-Man, said he can make him his whole self again.
    Nope. Just did.

Huh, not sure I care for this. I prefer to return Otto to the old Pre-Superior version. That is his true real self.

Personally they should do a Magneto Claremont/Lee X-Men #2-3 solution.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Damn, Spencer again with the deep cuts. I think the last time the robot parents was referenced was like 1997....

I appreciate them, but new readers (or even readers who started in the last decade) won’t know what the hell that’s about.
    Deep cuts and references were never a turn-off for new readers (how else do you think Claremont's X-Men became so big, since he did this stuff all the time).

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    It seems like it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I am starting to actually miss Dan Slott compared to this story. If he makes Otto whole while F ing over Peter then I am ranking Kindred as actually worse then OMD and BND and like Silk, The Other and OMD/BND this story is making me angry. That is not supposed to be the purpose of a comic book but that is what this story is doing to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Nope. Just did.

Huh, not sure I care for this. I prefer to return Otto to the old Pre-Superior version. That is his true real self.

Personally they should do a Magneto Claremont/Lee X-Men #2-3 solution.

Deep cuts and references were never a turn-off for new readers (how else do you think Claremont's X-Men became so big, since he did this stuff all the time).
    Hey, don’t get me wrong! I love that stuff. The robot parents stuff was a terrible story, but I still loved seeing it referenced.

Playing Devil’s advocate, I have heard the argument from Marvel suits and some creators that references to arcane continuity renders books inaccessible to new readers. But I think they’re mostly too lazy to incorporate it, too egotistical to reference other creators’ stories, or are just ignorant about their own book’s past continuity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am starting to actually miss Dan Slott
    Every time you feel that way, please reread the Alpha storyline, or Clone Conspiracy, or just any storyline from the Parker Industries era...

Mighty Member

Thought they already did in brand new day.

Astonishing Member

Every time you feel that way, please reread the Alpha storyline, or Clone Conspiracy, or just any storyline from the Parker Industries era...
    Alpha was not as bad as a number of other stories (Queen Pin to name another bad story). But he also did ends of the earth, RYV and Spider Island all of which were better then anything Spencer has done. The analogy I made before is comparing Spider-Man to Sports teams. I do not watch the Islanders, Yankees and Arizona State Sun Devils to see them lose, and I do not read Spider-Man to see Peter lose. I do not expect to Peter win every time ( the Islanders are not going 82-0 regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs. But they are not going 0-82 either). It seems like that is the entire direction of Spencer: Peter loses and looks pathetic doing it. Getting his ass kicked by supervillains and needing help like a “Damsel In Distress” is unacceptable
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-02-2021 at 11:50 AM.

BANNED

Playing Devil’s advocate, I have heard the argument from Marvel suits and some creators that references to arcane continuity renders books inaccessible to new readers.
    It's Joe Quesada who said that and he is a man:
    -- Of s--ty taste and judgment.
    -- Generally mediocre at his job.
    -- Wrote OMD and OMIT.

You look at Jonathan Hickman and his comics sell well whether it's FF, Avengers, X-Men and his works are continuity-heavy and so on, so ultimately it's not really a dispositive in and of itself. Likewise, Al Ewing's IMMORTAL HULK has a lot of continuity-stuff (referring to comics from the Pre-Marvel era even) but it hasn't turned anyone away.

In and of itself, it doesn't matter.

But I think they’re mostly too lazy to incorporate it, too egotistical to reference other creators’ stories, or are just ignorant about their own book’s past continuity.
    Bingo. I think most times, writers find their own way.

Sometimes doing a blank slate is justified. When JMS came in, he had to deal with MJ's "Death-Separation" and Marvel decided that the period was something they had to bury since it was too much of a downer to deal with MJ being trapped and kidnapped in a room for a year and so on. So he had to basically do a broad-strokes going with Peter-MJ being temporarily separated, and then when they talk about the feelings they don't address her kidnapping as a reason and motivation and all. And eventually it's like that earlier period, and the period of the Post-Clone Saga, and the Clone Saga itself, never happened.

Othertimes you have writers like Spencer who creates a style that embraces all that is (to use a word that's hip these days) "cringe" about Spider-Continuity and decides to work with that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Alpha was not as bad as a number of other stories (Queen Pin to name another bad story). But he also did ends of the earth, RYV and Spider Island all of which were better then anything Spencer has done. The analogy I made before is comparing Spider-Man to Sports teams. I do not watch the Islanders, Yankees and Arizona State Sun Devils to see them lose, and I do not read Spider-Man to see Peter lose. I do not expect to Peter win every time ( the Islanders are not going 82-0 regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs. But they are not going 0-82 either). It seems like that is the entire direction of Spencer: Peter loses and looks pathetic doing it. Getting his ass kicked by supervillains and needing help like a “Damsel In Distress” is unacceptable
    I agree and disagree.The storylines like Hunted etc. were good but all storylines in this run whether good or bad have had Pete been beaten up by things he should be able to handle no problem.The characterization is on point and the stories have heart but that is not an excuse.I think it is intentional.
    I really hope that Sinister Wars is full of Pete Badass.
    Also while we are talking about Sinister wars.Just saw the black and white cover for SW 2 and it looks like a lot more than 12 there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Thought they already did in brand new day.
    And it is pissing me off to no end. Pete with his doctorate as the science editor at the Bugle opened up so many opportunities for Pete. Like looking into corrupt businesses and their shoddy science advances like the old Roxxon artificial vibranium or the Humanitech use of Quicksand as the "A.I." for their robots.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 06-02-2021 at 01:37 PM.