Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    You're missing one more X-related story:

STARRING BLACK CAT AND JESSIE DRAKE

Written by Leah Williams
    Art by Jan Bazaldua
    Colors by Erick Arciniega

"Sarah Brunstad was an incredible editor in bringing this anthology together," stated Leah Williams. "It was such a fun project to contribute to, and it’s an honor to introduce readers to Krakoa’s newest superstar by reintroducing an important Marvel legacy—Jessie Drake!"

Attachment 109969
    Understandable, as if you've never heard of Jessie you'd think this was a Spider family story, considering the other character involved is Black Cat. She's only had two previous appearances, in 1994, a two-part story in Marvel Comics Presents involving Wolverine.

Jesse is a mutant with empathic chameleon powers, and happens to be Marvel's first ever trans character.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jessie_Drake_(Earth-616)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Understandable, as if you've never heard of Jessie you'd think this was a Spider family story, considering the other character involved is Black Cat. She's only had two previous appearances, in 1994, a two-part story in Marvel Comics Presents involving Wolverine.

Jesse is a mutant with empathic chameleon powers, and happens to be Marvel's first ever trans character.
    There was a trans mutant this whole time and the X-books just never used her? The more you know, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    There was a trans mutant this whole time and the X-books just never used her? The more you know, I guess.
    I can understand a hesitancy by non-trans writers to take on a character whose story they might be apprehensive stewarding. Even with an appropriate education and/or resources made available to them, they as a non-trans writer would still be highly scrutinized, as would Marvel at large.
    I guess the simple and obvious resolution: Seek out Trans talent? But I can't really speak to that as I'm unfamiliar of any and all challenges and impositions that may be in place when talent hunting. [shrug]

It’s also clear that no one knew this character, she appeared in a non x-book in the 90s at that, and the book was a very niche anthology series. I have been active on the LGBT thread here for years and no one brought this character up to my knowledge but we all always kept track of trans coded or gender shifting characters like Cloud or Courrier. I am glad trans fans really pushed for this character that no one knew and got her to reappear again, hopefully that continues and we see more of her.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Super excited for this!! All of these stories look really promising, and it just feels nice to have some spotlight on the queer characters. Special shout out to the Iceman story, because even that one page is very poignant. Anthony Oliveira is a big Bobby fan, and it would be awesome for him to write Bobby and continue his development where Sina Grace left off!

Excited for Karma as well, she's so underrated imo, and it's time she got some cute romance moments too!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan615 View Post
    It’s also clear that no one knew this character, she appeared in a non x-book in the 90s at that, and the book was a very niche anthology series. I have been active on the LGBT thread here for years and no one brought this character up to my knowledge but we all always kept track of trans coded or gender shifting characters like Cloud or Courrier. I am glad trans fans really pushed for this character that no one knew and got her to reappear again, hopefully that continues and we see more of her.
    I like your signature quote.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Maybe they saw Dreamer on the Supergirl TV show, and thought "we'd like to have someone like her" - so someone trawled the archives and found Jessie? I assume there's plans for her beyond this anthology considering that they call her "Krakoa's newest superstar" in the solicit. Hickman has an edict going on saying that they should use existing characters, not new ones, so instead of just writing someone new, they had to check the history.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Maybe they saw Dreamer on the Supergirl TV show, and thought "we'd like to have someone like her" - so someone trawled the archives and found Jessie? I assume there's plans for her beyond this anthology considering that they call her "Krakoa's newest superstar" in the solicit. Hickman has an edict going on saying that they should use existing characters, not new ones, so instead of just writing someone new, they had to check the history.
    That's possible, and if I'm remembering right, Jessie Drake came from a Typhoid Mary story by Ann Nocenti.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I hear mutant related to Iceman and my mind flashes to Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and Lightwave.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's possible, and if I'm remembering right, Jessie Drake came from a Typhoid Mary story by Ann Nocenti.
    Oh that makes sense! Aunt Ann, always WAY ahead of her time.

Speaking of genderfluid characters, when is Marvel going to retcon that Azazel shit out and have Mystique impregnate Destiny with Kurt like the Lord Claremont originally intended? Now THAT would be momentous!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Speaking of genderfluid characters, when is Marvel going to retcon that Azazel shit out and have Mystique impregnate Destiny with Kurt like the Lord Claremont originally intended? Now THAT would be momentous!
    I 100 percent agree!!!! I think would be such a great way to validate Mystique's and Destiny's relationship.

Maybe they could tell a story where Mystique and Destiny still needed a sperm donor because Mystique's body cannot create it or something. And she used Azazel's DNA to impregnate Destiny.

Story fixed. You are welcome!!!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I really think this needs to happen. I hope they go down that road in the movies at the very least.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Preach it. And it’s not hard to retcon Azazel away, he’s a demon, demons lie and obfuscate and we’ve had at least three different versions of Kurt’s origin from Raven and Margali, none of them are reliable narrators.
    Given Irene’s age when she had him, why not have Raven make a deal with the devil to help her conceive?
    And Azazel’s magical intervention could be used to explain Kurt’s unusual appearance (I mean the hands, ‘cloven hoves’ and tail - they always looked deliberate to me; as though someone was deliberately trying to breed a child who looked demonic).

The folks over at Crushing Comics were speculating that Orchis' blind precog could possibly be Mystique and Destiny's kid as a callback to this. But yeah, I'd much rather have it revealed that Mystique lied to Azzy about the whole thing.