Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    iMan 42s

I absolutely love New warriors and it disappoints me it is ending. However it does have its problems like being tied to the rather forgettable inhumanity, action sequences don't really keep together and there are far to many new faces. Honestly the team should've been smaller instead of trying to fit EVERY type of person they could fit on the team.

I'm also feeling this should've been tied to what scarlet spider was doing. We had a mystery for Aracley and her origins, a mysterious killer in Texas called clutch, and the Assassins guild( probably not stationed there but a presence). Scarlet spider could have set the new warriors up and didn't even have to make a new plot thread. Better yet Yost was even writing it.Understandably he likely didn't want to paint this as scarlet spider and his amazing friends but for being tied to a forgettable event, disjointed action sequences and a far to large cast makes it a wonder we got past seven books. I love the book but I can understand the criticism.

I for one am not giving up until the final issue is released. I noticed some of the criticism and some of it is true though I've noticed a few that don't make sense. One That I don't get is that they say there's a lack of purpose. I counter that by saying it's a book about redemption. Think about it Kaine wants too redeem himself for his past.

Speedball and Justice want to redeem the New Warriors name and Haechi is being encouraged to redeem the title of Inhumans. 2. Disjointed action sequences. I don't see anything but that maybe due too interpretation. I do however agree that the book should've been promoted much more. To me this is due too lets be honest saturation of Avengers titles.

There aren't that many Marvel comics that aren't Avengers or X-men. I think that's one of the biggest problems. Those two teams are too big. That being said anyone who hasn't given this book a chance yet. I recommend you try. The story and art are great and IMO better than most Mainstream Marvel comics right now. I enjoy it more than I do the current run on Amazing Spider-Man. I think you all might enjoy it too.

I'll be honest when I first heard of the book it was mainly if not only due too my interest in Kaine and Aracely but so far I like all the characters. I want too see this continue so we can find the answers to the plot threads made. I'm not giving up until the fight is over. We've still got two months. So keep New Warriors alive by spreading the word. A Warrior keeps going until the fight is over.

New Warriors Add.jpg

Marvel should have priemered the new New Warriors in Infnity on the same grounds as Mighty Avengers, a team formed from the wreckage of the 50 state to defend the earth v Thanos. They could have shown up on a few panels during the THanos battles on earth...it wouldnt have taken away anything from what Hickman was doing.

Let's see if i can throw in my two cents;
    I wasn't crazy about the high evolutionary plotline- it felt like, been there, done that. Adding Jake waffles and mr. Whiskers didn't interest me either. Then, there was the team itself. Watersnake was an enigma- was she or wasn't she namorita? well, i really didn't care if she was- i think I'd have been happier if she wasn't. Maybe a guest appearance from namor would've generated some interest. Sun Girl kind of reminded me of Spectrum, and i would've liked to see a meeting between the two. Still, she seemed to flip flop a bit between being level headed and over her head. I liked Arcely, but Scarlet Spider got on my nerves big time with his "I don't want to be here" attitude. If we needed an inhuman on the team, i would've preferred to see Inferno, over Haechi, who wasn't particularly interesting. And Speedball, with his ongoing tragedy that he really hasn't gotten over, quickly lost my interest. And i didn't think the artwork was all that great, either.

Yeah, I think a lot of the criticism is completely fair. I especially found the commentary on ignoring the meta-implications particularly interesting, as I think any attempt at this team/comic needs to delve into what exactly the words NEW WARRIORS meant before and should continue to mean in the context of the Marvel of the 21st century.

Yost was going for a vibe that matched that of the original series, and if think he did a decent job; I just found that a boring goal, and the inclusion of Kaine couldn't keep me interested. I don't want 90s Warriors! I want 21st century Warriors!

-Pav, who wants the New Warriors Initiative...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Yeah, I think a lot of the criticism is completely fair. I especially found the commentary on ignoring the meta-implications particularly interesting, as I think any attempt at this team/comic needs to delve into what exactly the words NEW WARRIORS meant before and should continue to mean in the context of the Marvel of the 21st century.

Yost was going for a vibe that matched that of the original series, and if think he did a decent job; I just found that a boring goal, and the inclusion of Kaine couldn't keep me interested. I don't want 90s Warriors! I want 21st century Warriors!

-Pav, who wants the New Warriors Initiative...
    Agree, this has been a part of the problem..and the name New Warriors for a lot of people seems to imply "teen group who the current generation can identify with"

as opposed to my concept which is that New Warriors is the "Vol. 1 team of Night Thrasher, Nova, Firestar, Speedball, Namorita and Vance in whatever generation and whatever they've evolved into..."

THAT is what we never get..and it doesnt have to be the 90s themes..we can all keep storylines relevant with good writing..and Yost was mostly doing this.

We seem to disagree with what we want though...A or B..frankly I think hook is unneeded. New Warriors is just New Warriors...I dont see why it NEEDs to pigeon hole itself to depict bumblers.

Honestly though...Civil War still needs to be addressed...Yost seemed like he knew this..but I was hoping for more of a moment like when Vance stood up for the NW to the Avengers, however I wish it was in front of a bigger audience.

Marvel just seems to throw some books out there to flail and others they support...for some reason NW keeps pulling the flail card.

Bring back Night Thrasher, Silhouette, Namorita, and add Debrii for fun.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Marvel just seems to throw some books out there to flail and others they support...for some reason NW keeps pulling the flail card.
    This is true. One thing that annoys me most about any new book or property is it just being tossed out there without any backing. Like, what's the point then if you don't have enough faith in the book to promote and support it? I'm looking forward to Guardians 3000, but I honestly think it's going to fail for just this reason.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Mister Whiskers and Jake Waffles need their own spin off!
    So say we all!
    Maybe a web comic made entirely of gifs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Bring back Night Thrasher, Silhouette, Namorita, and add Debrii for fun.
    Well Silhouette made an appearance in the latest volume and Namorita is a plot thread. Debrii is a possibility but Night Thrasher would be hard too do since both of them are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Well Silhouette made an appearance in the latest volume and Namorita is a plot thread. Debrii is a possibility but Night Thrasher would be hard too do since both of them are dead.
    Wait, Donyell is dead too? When did that happen? The last time I saw him, he was in the Avengers Resistance, fighting the Hood in Camp Hammond.

Double shipping X-Men and Avengers titles at 3.99 is what went wrong with the New Warriors and everyone of Marvels lower tier characters. Marvel has created an environment were these books can no longer survive, it also makes me angrier over the fact that Marvel refuses to make a Big Hero 6 book, they could make these diverse characters A-Listers and there book number one over night, just like with Guardians but they refuse! I would kill for something like that to happen to the New Warriors. Spinning out of InHumanity and New Nova didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Wait, Donyell is dead too? When did that happen? The last time I saw him, he was in the Avengers Resistance, fighting the Hood in Camp Hammond.
    Okay after reviewing the wiki I seemed to have read that wrong. My bad.

I was never a NW reader. I have nothing against them, but I was not reading many comics during the big run, and there was only marginal draw for me this time around.

It is hard to launch B listers without top level creative teams and even there even the biggest names have many detractors.

I don't think most of the characters starring in this book even count as B-List. I am a fan of Yost and really liked his Scarlet Spider, but here he used some of his other creations like Sun Girl and Hummingbird and I just don't think they had the weight to carry a team book. I also found his original characters for New Warriors, Water Snake and Haechi, to be rather uninspired and uninteresting (especially Haechi). I did very much like Jake Waffles and Mr. Whiskers though.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!