Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    So no one in the invincibleverse has speed on par with the Shrike? What about durability feats for invincibleverse? Anything noteworthy?
    Mid tier Viltrulmites take nukes without damage, and high tier ones fight on or in the sun for a decent chunk of time before dying.

Yeah I'm a little surprised the Shrike could beat their durability like that. But I haven't read in a bit.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Shrike blades are so ridiculously sharp combined with its speed I tend to spot them that kind of ability unless the opponent has some kind of insane penetration durability, we know Viltrumites can be busted up by blunt force, or even disemboweled by a knife hand from another Viltrumite, and honestly the Shrike is physically powerful too

The Shrike pulls its arms back and steps around the child, its thorns and knee blades missing her eyes
    by less than a centimeter. Legs apart, the Shrike stands between Nemes and Aenea.

“Oh,” says Nemes, “you don’t want her? Then I’ll have to take her back.” Nemes moves faster than fast
    time, feinting left, circling right, and swinging down. If the space around her had not been warped by
    displacement, sonic booms would have shattered everything within kilometers.

The Shrike blocks the blow. Sparks leap from chrome, and lightning discharges into the ground. The
    creature slashes the air where Nemes had been a nanosecond before.

Endymion
    Chapter 55
    so that kind of strength with a frictionless blade at the end is in my estimation enough to disembowel a Viltrumite and completely shred them before they even realize they're in a fight

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Mid tier Viltrulmites take nukes without damage, and high tier ones fight on or in the sun for a decent chunk of time before dying.
    Not bad at all then. Yet still it sounds like Shrike can bust through force fields that withstand nukes...doesn't sound good for the invincibleverse.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Not bad at all then. Yet still it sounds like Shrike can bust through force fields that withstand nukes...doesn't sound good for the invincibleverse.
    I dunno, never read the books. I recall how Shrike overcomes class 100 durability being contentious in years past but am not sure that's still the case. I'm also trying to remember if there's anything more out there than the Viltrulmites in the Invincible verse... I'm assuming this doesn't include the rest of the Image comics like Spawn, despite the occasional comic pretending all those comics can take plsncd on the same planet.

In past threads it was agreed Shrike could not harm class 100s on the level of Gladiator, Orion, and Superman. The Vilts are an example of those who are either just under the class 100 threshold, or barely meet the minimum requirements for it. So there is some leeway for the Shrike here.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    ...we know Viltrumites can be busted up by blunt force, or even disemboweled by a knife hand from another Viltrumite...
    When I was reading the comics, I really felt that as durable as Viltrumites were, they kind of have the opposite problem to most flying-brick types: they are actually more strong than they are durable, proportionally speaking.

As an example, normal humans can't stab their hands into another human's gut and tear the other person apart.

I know all of the Viltrumites aren't created equal - some are stronger than others, and this might explain some of the hand stabby-stabby. But still.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    OTOH, I would expect SoK to get blitzed, have his arms ripped off and his body chucked into a sun or while unconscious or, you know, headless. After, perhaps, Conquest violates his corpse. Because that's definitely the kind of thing Conquest would do.
    SOK is indestructible

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    SOK is indestructible
    No-limits-fallacies don't apply hereabouts.

His top end is ignoring nukes, and being buried by millions of tons of rock. Something the high-end Invincible-verse characters easily surpass.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I think you're conflating feats there.

The cruciform removal was on a specific ship that was found after the fact, as I recall, I don't think the Shrike bothered to remove the Cruciform from the Swiss Guard.

Huh, you and I literally had this exact discussion in 2017. I can actually quote myself here:
    An update - I've reread about a third of Endymion, and you are correct about them not mentioning (thus far) that the Shrike vivisected the cruciform during Aenea's escape. They do mention that the Shrike itself killed all of the Swiss Guard, and the "majority" of the other Pax troops, and also the monitoring crews on both of the torch ships, everyone on the C3 ship, and almost everyone on one of the torchships (which also included blowing open the bulkhead and venting most of the ship to space). I was correct on the cruciform people, as already pointed out - every Pax soldier and almost every christian in Pax space has the cruciform by the start of the story, about 275 years after Fall of Hyperion. I seem to recall that, a bit after where I am in the book, there is a discussion in more detail about the disaster for the Pax that was Aenea's reappearance, but I'm not there yet (and I could be mistaken).

There is of course a better speed feat that we didn't mention, that of the Shrike appearing instantly in front of the already-phase-shifted Nemes in the caves under... one of the worlds. I think that's in Rise, so I won't get there for a little while. That should basically be impossible (Nemes says so herself in her inner monologue), as, once phase shifted, the vatborn are effectively moving in stop time. The Shrike then punches with 4 arms, faster than the phase-shifted Nemes can react. The impact KO's her straight through her shield and her durability, said shield capable of easily handling startship weaponry focused specifically on her. The Shrike, shortly after, rips another of the vatborn to ribbons at superspeed, again straight through it's shields, before ripping off it's head and chucking it into the river.

Anyway, I'll continue reading and update precisely the feats. None of it changes the result - the Shrike is fast enough to deal with Viltrumites and strong+sharpandpointy enough to get through their durability.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan