Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    So we have a different story set in a consistent reality. Gee, what does that remind me of?
    Probably just easier to call it a prequel.

First movie I've seen in a movie theater since pre-pandemic. I enjoyed it. Heck, I'm still buzzed about it in a way. On the aesthetic levels, I really liked Cruella's sense of style. The soundtrack was awesome as well. The songs from the 60s and 70s fit the piece immensely. Now, in terms of storytelling, I felt the pacing went a little too quickly in the beginning. There were numerous moments where I felt the movie had to slow down and just let the scene breathe. I still don't buy how Cruella turned so quickly on revenge after finding out what the Baroness did to her mother. However, everything came together quite well towards the end.

Other reviews have said this, but I enjoyed the relationship among Cruella, Jasper, and Horace. Jasper and Horace could have easily been cast aside, especially after Cruella become REALLY bent on getting even with the Baroness. But thankfully there were scenes were Cruella showed genuine care for these two. I liked those moments between Jasper and Cruella especially. He has a thing for her, no doubt. Maybe more of that relationship will be explored in the sequel.

So overall, yeah, it was great! Enjoyed it immensely!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    First movie I've seen in a movie theater since pre-pandemic. I enjoyed it. Heck, I'm still buzzed about it in a way. On the aesthetic levels, I really liked Cruella's sense of style. The soundtrack was awesome as well. The songs from the 60s and 70s fit the piece immensely. Now, in terms of storytelling, I felt the pacing went a little too quickly in the beginning. There were numerous moments where I felt the movie had to slow down and just let the scene breathe. I still don't buy how Cruella turned so quickly on revenge after finding out what the Baroness did to her mother. However, everything came together quite well towards the end.

Other reviews have said this, but I enjoyed the relationship among Cruella, Jasper, and Horace. Jasper and Horace could have easily been cast aside, especially after Cruella become REALLY bent on getting even with the Baroness. But thankfully there were scenes were Cruella showed genuine care for these two. I liked those moments between Jasper and Cruella especially. He has a thing for her, no doubt. Maybe more of that relationship will be explored in the sequel.

So overall, yeah, it was great! Enjoyed it immensely!
    I'm sure Jasper and Horace aren't going anywhere if we get a sequel, they really worked their butts off for the rags to riches part of the story, and wanting Stella to move on from stealing realizing she was too talented to stay with them instantly made them all the more likeable.

Cruella's initial home viewership info just dropped, and while it was below Mulan and Raya's I wouldn't be too hard on it. Mulan is a direct live version of a known Disney animation instead of a prequel/villain origin reimagining (and IIRC was tracking to debut with 90 million in North America before the pandemic struck, oh and I don't remember its theater availability was worth a damn in the first place compared to where we are now), and Raya should have also been an easier sell for families (but Cruella already passed it worldwide in theaters). Cruella is more of a discovery, good word of mouth movie which is why it has been dropping minimally in theaters every passing week (I had reservations before watching it but just because of it now I'll give Jungle Cruise the benefit of the doubt when previously I was much more cynical about that one).
    Last edited by Wildling; 06-24-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I'm sure Jasper and Horace aren't going anywhere if we get a sequel, they really worked their butts off for the rags to riches part of the story, and wanting Stella to move on from stealing realizing she was too talented to stay with them instantly made them all the more likeable.

Cruella's initial home viewership info just dropped, and while it was below Mulan and Raya's I wouldn't be too hard on it. Mulan is a direct live version of a known Disney animation instead of a prequel/villain origin reimagining (and IIRC was tracking to debut with 90 million in North America before the pandemic struck, oh and I don't remember its theater availability was worth a damn in the first place compared to where we are now), and Raya should have also been an easier sell for families (but Cruella already passed it worldwide in theaters). Cruella is more of a discovery, good word of mouth movie which is why it has been dropping minimally in theaters every passing week (I had reservations before watching it but just because of it now I'll give Jungle Cruise the benefit of the doubt when previously I was much more cynical about that one).
    Cruella's drops are super low. Almost unheard of. But its probably got a lot to do with the pandemic as more people every week keep moving back to the theaters. Its not blowing the doors off of anything but its performing super steady.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Cruella's drops are super low. Almost unheard of. But its probably got a lot to do with the pandemic as more people every week keep moving back to the theaters. Its not blowing the doors off of anything but its performing super steady.
    That's great for this movie because it was never really hotly anticipated in the first place (unlike A Quiet Place Part II the current summer's champion, or a big news live Disney movie like Aladdin before the pandemic) but from what we've seen it's friendly to all kinds of people and they all seem to be showing up every weekend in a way all kinds of new movies in theaters like In the Heights, Spiral or the new Spirit movie aren't commanding, at all.

Saw it the other day. Maybe not perfect, but it was fun and had a good cast. Will be interested to see how the sequel goes, esp. since it's kinda hard to see this incarnation of the character becoming the puppy napper of the original film's plot (at least where things ends right now).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)