Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I feel like Slapstick being forgotten is a public service.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Whoa, one question. What the hell did Ironheart do to you my friend? Did she hurt you some kind of way, lol. Yes there are a lot of young heroes, but if Marvel were wise they would an opportunity to properly start a young heroes line with some good young talented writers and artist. That way they old grow talent and readers.
    Apparently something happened in Bendis run to make people view her that way. I read that run but I don't really remember anything that made her an *******.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Apparently something happened in Bendis run to make people view her that way. I read that run but I don't really remember anything that made her an *******.
    I don't recall her doing anything horrendous. Just that her introduction was questionable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Well according to the "free thinkers" on the internet her two egregious action where:
    1. At about 9 years she dared her teacher to set her a challenge she could not accomplish because she read that help her childhood hero find motivation. (That showed she wanted to be a victim.)

2. She decleared herself Queen of Latveria after S.H.I.E.L.D used her to take down the ruling war criminal, and she used her power so pave the way for free elections. (This showed she was reckless and arrogant.)
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 06-02-2021 at 12:36 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Whoa, one question. What the hell did Ironheart do to you my friend? Did she hurt you some kind of way, lol. Yes there are a lot of young heroes, but if Marvel were wise they would an opportunity to properly start a young heroes line with some good young talented writers and artist. That way they old grow talent and readers.
    Or even America, for that matter. At least some of the hate that Ironheart and Chavez get seems to come from the kind of folk that ran Marie Tran off of Twitter, just hating on women of color for no real reason. Neither of them have come anywhere *close* to the 'terrible' sorts of behavior that characters like Emma Frost or Machinesmith or Super-Skrull have gotten up to in past storylines (and I *like* those characters, for all their sketchiness).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Well according to the "free thinkers" on the internet her two egregious action where:
    1. At about 9 years she dared her teacher to set her a challenge she could not accomplish because she read that help her childhood hero find motivation. (That showed she wanted to be a victim.)

2. She decleared herself Queen of Latveria after S.H.I.E.L.D used her to take down the ruling war criminal, and she used her power so pave the way for free elections. (This showed she was reckless and arrogant.)
    Haha, free thinkers. Yet they all parrot the same talking points

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Or even America, for that matter. At least some of the hate that Ironheart and Chavez get seems to come from the kind of folk that ran Marie Tran off of Twitter, just hating on women of color for no real reason. Neither of them have come anywhere *close* to the 'terrible' sorts of behavior that characters like Emma Frost or Machinesmith or Super-Skrull have gotten up to in past storylines (and I *like* those characters, for all their sketchiness).
    Or any hero during any hero-vs-hero conflict. I'm not especially attached to either of those two characters but I don't understand the visceral reactions to them.

Mighty Member

This is because America is completely written like a FEMINAZI/ MARY SUES in most of the runs. Honestly I can't about her character since it really make me so uncomfortable to her keep yelling at people for no apparent reasons.

I'm not the biggest fan of kid heroes...I honestly can't think of a single book I read that's driven by one...but I think that they fall victims to the same thing that happens to almost all new heroes introduced in the last 15-20 years: creative team comes onboard a title with big ideas for new characters who are going to leave their mark. That run ends and those new characters, who nobody internally cares about beyond that departing creative team, get shuffled off to limbo to serve as future cannon fodder or to fill in the blanks in crowd scenes, and another creative team comes in and creates their own characters who'll ultimately suffer the same fate.

There are exceptions, obviously, particularly when the new character fills in a gap of some under-represented element, but it's pretty telling that the majority who've made a serious mark are the ones who're redundant versions of existing characters, like Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool or whomever. Meanwhile, there are dozens of existing characters who could be brought back and used in the place of the new characters, be they teens or adults, and maybe introduced to a new generation of readers, but they're still left alone, collecting dust, soon to be joined by the "hot" new characters this month's creative team is bringing to life.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of kid heroes...I honestly can't think of a single book I read that's driven by one...but I think that they fall victims to the same thing that happens to almost all new heroes introduced in the last 15-20 years: creative team comes onboard a title with big ideas for new characters who are going to leave their mark. That run ends and those new characters, who nobody internally cares about beyond that departing creative team, get shuffled off to limbo to serve as future cannon fodder or to fill in the blanks in crowd scenes, and another creative team comes in and creates their own characters who'll ultimately suffer the same fate.

There are exceptions, obviously, particularly when the new character fills in a gap of some under-represented element, but it's pretty telling that the majority who've made a serious mark are the ones who're redundant versions of existing characters, like Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool or whomever. Meanwhile, there are dozens of existing characters who could be brought back and used in the place of the new characters, be they teens or adults, and maybe introduced to a new generation of readers, but they're still left alone, collecting dust, soon to be joined by the "hot" new characters this month's creative team is bringing to life.
    Seems to be the running theme here. Ideas with great potential but minimal follow-up. Idk what exactly will change that. Although I can see the appeal of having new heroes with similar appearances and abilities to older ones.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post

"Reckless and arrogant" sounds like a lot of more seasoned heroes in the Marvel Universe, particularly the one Riri modeled herself after and was somewhat mentored by, but that guy happens to be widely admired and praised in the Marvel fandom. What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Haha, free thinkers. Yet they all parrot the same talking points

Or any hero during any hero-vs-hero conflict. I'm not especially attached to either of those two characters but I don't understand the visceral reactions to them.
    It makes a lot more sense when you realize that the superhero genre, in terms of fandom and creative talent, has historically been dominated by a certain demographic and now that members of said demographic feel they're being crowded out of "their own territory" by "interlopers" from other demographics, they're responding to those other demographics with visceral, virulent hostility, even to the point of an ongoing online harassment campaign that has also at least occasionally yielded threats of real physical harm upon the "interlopers."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    "Reckless and arrogant" sounds like a lot of more seasoned heroes in the Marvel Universe, particularly the one Riri modeled herself after and was somewhat mentored by, but that guy happens to be widely admired and praised in the Marvel fandom. What's the difference?

It makes a lot more sense when you realize that the superhero genre, in terms of fandom and creative talent, has historically been dominated by a certain demographic and now that members of said demographic feel they're being crowded out of "their own territory" by "interlopers" from other demographics, they're responding to those other demographics with visceral, virulent hostility, even to the point of an ongoing online harassment campaign that has also at least occasionally yielded threats of real physical harm upon the "interlopers."
    Yeah, maybe those two have had bad comics. I haven't read all of them so I can't totally be sure. But considering how quickly new diverse characters get dropped and ignored, as many have pointed out here, these kinds characters need more time to be built up, even if they have questionable or even terrible stories. I think the fandom could be lenient

Nothing justifies threats or harassment though

Seems to be the running theme here. Ideas with great potential but minimal follow-up. Idk what exactly will change that. Although I can see the appeal of having new heroes with similar appearances and abilities to older ones.
    So far it seems like kid heroes only take off if either:

1. They are a legacy and the hero that passes the mantle down to them permanently goes with another title (Carol and Kamala).
    2. They are a legacy because the previous hero is permanently killed off, but said predecessor was so obscure that it wouldn’t cause an uproar (Moon Girl)
    3. They share a title with a well established hero (Miles Morales, Robbie Reyes)

I’m hoping Reptil becomes successful since he has a cool power set and I like what I see so far from his ongoing.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, maybe those two have had bad comics. I haven't read all of them so I can't totally be sure. But considering how quickly new diverse characters get dropped and ignored, as many have pointed out here, these kinds characters need more time to be built up, even if they have questionable or even terrible stories. I think the fandom could be lenient

Nothing justifies threats or harassment though
    Certainly not.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    So far it seems like kid heroes only take off if either:

1. They are a legacy and the hero that passes the mantle down to them permanently goes with another title (Carol and Kamala).
    2. They are a legacy because the previous hero is permanently killed off, but said predecessor was so obscure that it wouldn’t cause an uproar (Moon Girl)
    3. They share a title with a well established hero (Miles Morales, Robbie Reyes)

I’m hoping Reptil becomes successful since he has a cool power set and I like what I see so far from his ongoing.
    It's unfortunate unrelated heroes don't succeed, although at the same time, I have no problem with newer heroes based on previous ones. Really, both types need to be pushed to succeed. Hopefully Reptil does succeed. By the way, do other non-legacy heroes have interesting or distinct power sets? Maybe that's why contributes to them not getting pushes

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Certainly not.
    Really, those kinds of fans need to restrain themselves. Idk how much of the fandom they actually represent