Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Speaking of ages, does anyone think that we could use some college age heroes? I’m saying this because I just realized that college is very underutilized as a fictional setting as opposed to high school.
    Probably. They could do that with some of the underused younger heroes to differentiate them from other younger groups.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I find the insinuation of "too many/oversaturated young heroes" to be weird, especially when the general inverse of "too many/oversaturation of adult heroes" isn't even given a thought.
    That could be due to different demographics. Most comic fans on the forum tend to skew older. So the older heroes tend to appeal to them more than the younger crowd.

Speaking of ages, does anyone think that we could use some college age heroes? I’m saying this because I just realized that college is very underutilized as a fictional setting as opposed to high school.
    I agree with this. It's more novel and easier to work around than high school.

Mighty Member

I don't know what the research have shown but it seems when in comes to YA fiction , tv shows, books and comics tend to avoid college settings.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I don't know what the research have shown but it seems when in comes to YA fiction , tv shows, books and comics tend to avoid college settings.
    I wonder why that is. You'd think college age heroes would have more latitude to do what they want

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    America's comic was bad.

Riri's was okay.

The issue we keep seeing is way too many folks do not READ or understand the concept of "think for yourself". Not listen to grifters that need youtube revenue and make up stuff.

How are you getting replaced if you are still active in books? Excluding Bruce Banner & most of Fantastic Four-everyone else including X-Men were active in Marvel.

And Marvel has to be called out for pandering to all that nonsense. Remember I can only use a character that editorial allows me to.

Leah Williams- she did not pitch a Gwenpool book, it was dumped on her.

She and Vita have FOUGHT for book for the likes of Colossus & Storm.

Bendis wanted Static in Young Justice-got told NO (that lawsuit had nothing to do with it). Gail Simone had the same issue with Rocket.

At times it seem Marvel is more worried about that toxic echo chamber than just doing books.
    Because Marvel is still predominantly run by people from the same demographic that has historically dominated the comic book industry and superhero fandom and as such, it still labors under the idea that those are the ones who need to be catered to most, even if the company occasionally or frequently makes overtures in varying degrees of sincerity towards appealing to "other" demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, that really made Cap unlikeable. The whole premise of civil war started out with more introspective ideas but devolved from there. Maybe more modern people don't want heroes to act without oversight. But that storyline led to a lot of ooc moments anyway
    True, I suppose.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Because Marvel is still predominantly run by people from the same demographic that has historically dominated the comic book industry and superhero fandom and as such, it still labors under the idea that those are the ones who need to be catered to most, even if the company occasionally or frequently makes overtures in varying degrees of sincerity towards appealing to "other" demographics.

True, I suppose.
    Honestly a lot of hero vs hero stuff leads to OOC behavior.

I wonder why that is. You'd think college age heroes would have more latitude to do what they want
    I think it’s because writers probably think high school is easier to write since everyone is familiar with the tropes and character archetypes. College on the other hand is more uncharted territory since the high school tropes wouldn’t make sense in a college setting (ex: cool kids vs lame kids, bullying).
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

I think it’s because writers probably think high school is easier to write since everyone is familiar with the tropes and character archetypes. College on the other hand is more uncharted territory since the high school tropes wouldn’t make sense in a college setting (ex: cool kids vs lame kids, bullying).
    Those tropes are a bit cliche though.

Those tropes are a bit cliche though.
    Exactly. Which is why I want future younger heroes to be college age that way you can have the appeal of characters in their youth while at the same time you can avoid the cliches that come with a character being in high school.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Exactly. Which is why I want future younger heroes to be college age that way you can have the appeal of characters in their youth while at the same time you can avoid the cliches that come with a character being in high school.
    Yeah, they can still have newcomers in high school but doing those same tropes can only be so appealing. College age heroes could be an interesting next step

Yeah, they can still have newcomers in high school but doing those same tropes can only be so appealing. College age heroes could be an interesting next step
    Considering Spider-Man/Peter Parker moved onto college within the first few years of being published, and that led to some of his most iconic stories, that would make sense.

Ultimate Member

Considering Spider-Man/Peter Parker moved onto college within the first few years of being published, and that led to some of his most iconic stories, that would make sense.
    Yeah, I prefer Spidey as an adul. I'm not sure which younger marvel heroes would be at that stage right now or in a few years. It's a bit hard to gauge their ages

Yeah, I prefer Spidey as an adul. I'm not sure which younger marvel heroes would be at that stage right now or in a few years. It's a bit hard to gauge their ages
    Most of the Young Avengers and Runaways are college students, or at least college-aged, now.

Really, those kinds of fans need to restrain themselves. Idk how much of the fandom they actually represent
    Nerd/Niche fandoms are notoriously hateful and I will never understand it
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Most of the Young Avengers and Runaways are college students, or at least college-aged, now.
    Ok. Idk if any of them will actually go to college/university

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Nerd/Niche fandoms are notoriously hateful and I will never understand it
    I don't get why a group mocked for their interests wouldn't be more sympathetic to demographics who've experienced even more marginalization.