Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You think the current group of young heroes will stick around? Miles and Kamala are two most popular new Marvel heroes, so I'm guessing they and their contemporaries may have more staying power than other generations who've been ignored
    With an Ironheart tv show in production, her popularity will most likely get a boost.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    With an Ironheart tv show in production, her popularity will most likely get a boost.
    Maybe that'll lead Marvel to make more effort to keep new generations around instead of quickly forgetting about them.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That was what led to the first New Warriors series. They had characters like Nova, Speedball, Firestar, Namorita, and Marvel Boy (Justice) and someone thought "hey these kids are just sitting on the shelf why not put them in a book together". They added a few new ones and had a hit. The problem since then is marvel wants to create a team with 90% new characters and through in maybe one or two old ones. It is assbackwards thinking. You bring in older fans with characters they like and then introduce them to a couple new ones not the other way around.
    Kind of reminded me of how the Avengers formed in the first place. In real life, the characters that founded them weren't exactly big draws for Marvel compared to Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four, and then they got brought together . . . and the rest was history.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You think the current group of young heroes will stick around? Miles and Kamala are two most popular new Marvel heroes, so I'm guessing they and their contemporaries may have more staying power than other generations who've been ignored
    Miles, Kamala, and Riri will. Simply because of their tv shows, and movies. Same with the Young Avengers members who will be in the MCU.

Possibly Ghost-Spider now too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Miles, Kamala, and Riri will. Simply because of their tv shows, and movies. Same with the Young Avengers members who will be in the MCU.

Possibly Ghost-Spider now too.
    Idk if Ghost-Spider totally counts as a new character. Anyway, I think you're right. Probably any other ones adapted to the MCU will stay around. Of course, I don't think it should really take all that just to convince Marvel to actually keep these newer heroes around consistently in the comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Kind of reminded me of how the Avengers formed in the first place. In real life, the characters that founded them weren't exactly big draws for Marvel compared to Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four, and then they got brought together . . . and the rest was history.
    That's not why the Avengers came together though, just about every character in the initial line up of the Avengers were all created either that year or just a bit before, if anything the idea behind the Avengers was to give Marvel their own super team to compete with Justice League, I have no clue where people get this idea that Avengers started just give a book to B-listers, it simply doesn't match reality.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    That's not why the Avengers came together though, just about every character in the initial line up of the Avengers were all created either that year or just a bit before, if anything the idea behind the Avengers was to give Marvel their own super team to compete with Justice League, I have no clue where people get this idea that Avengers started just give a book to B-listers, it simply doesn't match reality.
    Thought it was a delay on the Daredevil book...They needed to get a book to the printer or they would have lost the money for printing so they pulled together a group of already created characters and put them in a story together.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, wasn't it too early to call anyone a B-lister?

Mighty Member

Sadly, I don't think that strategy works anymore, they tried that with Strikeforce and a few other books over the years, but most comic book readers just gravitate towards books with known characters or know franchises.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think all the original Avengers were starring in their own books when the team was formed if I'm remembering right. I know the Hulk book had just ended, but I think the rest were still staring in other books.

Ant-Man and Wasp in Tale to Astonish
    Iron Man in Tales of Suspense
    Thor in Journey Into Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Thought it was a delay on the Daredevil book...They needed to get a book to the printer or they would have lost the money for printing so they pulled together a group of already created characters and put them in a story together.
    I think all the original Avengers were starring in their own books when the team was formed if I'm remembering right. I know the Hulk book had just ended, but I think the rest were still staring in other books.

Ant-Man and Wasp in Tale to Astonish
    Iron Man in Tales of Suspense
    Thor in Journey Into Mystery
    Fair points, though from what I recall, the idea was also to see if they'd sell better together than separately, since they were all known characters in the growing Marvel fandom of that era, even if not necessarily the most popular compared to, again, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Sadly, I don't think that strategy works anymore, they tried that with Strikeforce and a few other books over the years, but most comic book readers just gravitate towards books with known characters or know franchises.
    Yeah, and that's pretty sad. Then again, on some level, I'd say if readers really wanted something new, or at least newer, in superhero comics, they'd be moving more towards publishers beyond the Big Two.

BANNED

Fair points, though from what I recall, the idea was also to see if they'd sell better together than separately, since they were all known characters in the growing Marvel fandom of that era, even if not necessarily the most popular compared to, again, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.

Yeah, and that's pretty sad. Then again, on some level, I'd say if readers really wanted something new, or at least newer, in superhero comics, they'd be moving more towards publishers beyond the Big Two.
    I question exactly how well known they could've been, since the line up were made of characters that were barely a year old by this point.
    Even the Fantastic Four were only 2 years old, and Spider-Man barely just turned 1, so I still don't see where this comparison os coming from.

I question exactly how well known they could've been, since the line up were made of characters that were barely a year old by this point.
    Even the Fantastic Four were only 2 years old, and Spider-Man barely just turned 1, so I still don't see where this comparison os coming from.
    From the stories I'd heard about those early days, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four were the characters readers and fans back then seemed the most excited and enthusiastic about, even if they were all in the same generation in terms of publishing.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

That was what led to the first New Warriors series. They had characters like Nova, Speedball, Firestar, Namorita, and Marvel Boy (Justice) and someone thought "hey these kids are just sitting on the shelf why not put them in a book together". They added a few new ones and had a hit. The problem since then is marvel wants to create a team with 90% new characters and through (sic) in maybe one or two old ones. It is assbackwards thinking. You bring in older fans with characters they like and then introduce them to a couple new ones not the other way around.
    Honestly, both methods have worked for Marvel, if you count the Uncanny X-Men. Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Thunderbird were all new. Wolverine had only a single appearance (I don't count his appearance on the last page of Hulk #180), so we can consider him basically new, too. The holdovers were Banshee and Cyclops. And no, Banshee wasn't really all that popular back then. Basically, the X-men were just the comic book version of Star Trek, when you think about it.

New characters aren't necessarily a problem as long as they take readers on an incredible journey to a place that they never knew they wanted to go. If you can do that and tap into the occasional zeitgeist along the way, all the better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Honestly, both methods have worked for Marvel, if you count the Uncanny X-Men. Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Thunderbird were all new. Wolverine had only a single appearance (I don't count his appearance on the last page of Hulk #180), so we can consider him basically new, too. The holdovers were Banshee and Cyclops. And no, Banshee wasn't really all that popular back then. Basically, the X-men were just the comic book version of Star Trek, when you think about it.

New characters aren't necessarily a problem as long as they take readers on an incredible journey to a place that they never knew they wanted to go. If you can do that and tap into the occasional zeitgeist along the way, all the better.
    A good point as well.