Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Is Marvel release too many/oversaturated young heroes ?

Firstly, I wanna to recall the time when " Ms. Marvel", " Mile Morales", "Ghost-Spider" become the most popular among young heroes. It hit Marvel where they believe that the trend and decide to create more new young heroes for the sake of younger audience. But the purpose of this thread is today's writer seemed to forget about the past young heroes from the "Initiative" like " Cloud 9" , "Hardball" and " Slapstick" .

Then, there are also young allies like " Spider-Girl (Anya)" and " Gravity" .

Moreover, we have heroes from Avengers Academy: "Finesse", "Reptil", "Striker" and "Hazmat".

And lastly the recent Jim's Champion, it is so overcrowded that we can't even get to know much half of the line-up. It's so distraction.

Honestly, they could find back many younger heroes from the early 2010's and get a push. Especially with the recent "Reptil" mini series. I hope Marvel would recognise those forgotten heroes and bring them back. Make sure those heroes are not completely terrible and assholes like "Ms. America" and "Ironheart". Please ensure this.

Younger heroes are investment for the future not a hindrance.

Marvel and comics in general have constantly been creating the next generation of heroes, which is quickly followed by the next next generation of heroes.
    X-men had New Mutants - Generation X - New X-Men - The Five Lights, etc
    The Avengers had New Warriors - Young Avengers - The Initiative - The Champions, etc.

In time they will be replaced with another next generation of heroes.

Ultimate Member

After the absolute boatload introduced in the Initiative days? Nah.

Some will rise. Some will sink. Doesn't matter how many there are. The good ones will rise above the clutter, no matter how 'clutter-y' it gets.

Fair point about Zub's Champions, the active roster had 15 members, plus there was Cyclops who'd left the team and half a dozen reserves called the Reinforcement Roster. Two writers later, and the main team has been trimmed down significantly, to five, due to the events of Eve Ewing's short run. The Reinforcement Roster is still a thing though, as they haven't mentioned anyone actually leaving the team and three of the other members have already appeared in Lore's run.

It needs to be pointed out that some of the earlier heroes named in the first post are actually in active use. Finesse was in Unstoppable Wasp vol 2, Hazmat is a regular in Kelly Thompson's Captain Marvel, and Anya Corazon is in Black Widow's book by the same writer. And Reptil's actually got a solo mini-series!

Slapstick had a solo book five years ago, nobody bought it. He didn't actually originate from the Initiative, he'd had a solo book in 1992.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Isn't the point to create new young heroes with modern sensibilities, in order to progress the universe?

No. I'm not even following/reading any of the young heroes you just mentioned, but that doesn't mean they don't have potential or won't be successful down the road.
    The J-man

more new ones need to be created going into 2022.

base them in cities far beyond NYC. and keep them there.

After moon girl's success, there also needs to be more elementary/middle school aged folks coming out. Power Pack was treated like an outlier for decades.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 05-30-2021 at 10:35 AM.

This is basically saying writers shouldn't create new characters when old ones already exist.

No, there's always been a wealth of old obscure characters. That does not change just because the characters are young.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    more new ones need to be created going into 2022.

base them in cities far beyond NYC. and keep them there.

After moon girl's success, there also needs to be more elementary/middle school aged folks coming out. Power Pack was treated like an outlier for decades.
    Definitely with you on more heroes outside of New York. Heck, Atlanta is long overdue for a hero IMO. Marvel keeps shooting their movies here so why not?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The problem is writer A comes in and creates a bunch of new characters. Writer A leaves the series or it ends. Then no one ever uses those characters again and Writer B just creates more throw away characters and the cycle continues. It makes people really hesitant to get attached to any new character knowing they could be gone and forgotten in less than a year. This is a major problem with the X-books and why they have become such a bloated mess of background characters.

I think in order to create a new character or team the editor of the books should really look close to see if they are really needed or if they are just a knock off of an already existing character that could be used instead.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Firstly, I wanna to recall the time when " Ms. Marvel", " Mile Morales", "Ghost-Spider" become the most popular among young heroes. It hit Marvel where they believe that the trend and decide to create more new young heroes for the sake of younger audience. But the purpose of this thread is today's writer seemed to forget about the past young heroes from the "Initiative" like " Cloud 9" , "Hardball" and " Slapstick" .

Then, there are also young allies like " Spider-Girl (Anya)" and " Gravity" .

Moreover, we have heroes from Avengers Academy: "Finesse", "Reptil", "Striker" and "Hazmat".

And lastly the recent Jim's Champion, it is so overcrowded that we can't even get to know much half of the line-up. It's so distraction.

Honestly, they could find back many younger heroes from the early 2010's and get a push. Especially with the recent "Reptil" mini series. I hope Marvel would recognise those forgotten heroes and bring them back. Make sure those heroes are not completely terrible and assholes like "Ms. America" and "Ironheart". Please ensure this.
    Look, I know people freak out when someone says that Miles needs a superhero name....but it's time for Miles to get a superhero name. No one calls him Spider-Man, they just call him Miles.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Look, I know people freak out when someone says that Miles needs a superhero name....but it's time for Miles to get a superhero name. No one calls him Spider-Man, they just call him Miles.
    Pretty sure people just do that to differentiate the two to avoid the obvious "which one" follow up question. I also think it's too late he IS Spiderman to the world, just the 2nd one. Calling him Kid Arachnid, Spy-D, Recluse or any other name is kinda unnecessary at this point.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I agree.
    Spider-Man is Peter Parker, while Miles is just miles he doesn't really have much of his own to be excited about