Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    In a way they're parallels because they're the kids of the second versions of the original heroes
    And in a way opposites as Kevin is magic based and Cassie is science/tech based.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Good points there. There are a number of children of Avengers from that period who could at least be young teenagers by now, i.e. Rachel Carpenter, daughter of Julia Carpenter, a.k.a. Spider-Woman II, Arachne, and Madame Web II.
    I am not 100% on this....but I think Rachel was born after Julia got her powers.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And in a way opposites as Kevin is magic based and Cassie is science/tech based.

I am not 100% on this....but I think Rachel was born after Julia got her powers.
    Technically, she was born before, but there's nothing saying she couldn't get powers at some point.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

The only real examples I can think of in the group the OP mentioned who haven't really been left behind are Daisy Johnson/Quake and Eden/Manifold from Secret Warriors. I personally would've liked to have seen Yo-Yo Rodriguez get some continued development as well but I think Daisy and Eden have been used fairly well and have a more than decent chance of continuing to see decent usage going forward.

If they just took just a couple of characters from these groups the OP mentioned and continued to develop them I don't think people would have as much as a problem.

Ultimate Member

Good points there. There are a number of children of Avengers from that period who could at least be young teenagers by now, i.e. Rachel Carpenter, daughter of Julia Carpenter, a.k.a. Spider-Woman II, Arachne, and Madame Web II.
    I completely forgot about her

Equal yet opposite

Both Cassie and Kevin were born after their dads gained powers as well, I think

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There are YA books that take place in colleges. The issue is how much do you want to do or try to get away with in the book or show.

Miles's book does a good job of keeping his parents around and giving him independence at a on campus school.

Static and Ms Marvel are showing you the life a hero at school as is Star Girl on the CW.

Now college kids you are limited in how far you want to go while dealing with a YA audience. Notice Archie has flat out avoided college.

EASY- lets go back in time shall we- how many shows, books or movies have shown nerds that were WHITE STRAIGHT & MALE as leads?

That is the issue.

It was their haven and IF POC were around-they were UNDEVELOPED. They MIGHT get a story as a lead.

EVERYONE was guilty-Star Trek, Dr Who, Star Wars, Marvel, DC and others.
    Now they don't mind a Static, Spawn, Martha Washington, Cap Sisko or Allen Strange. Because its just them and we get GAPS between someone else.

What IRKS that toxic group is this..... DEVELOPMENT. They don't like see POC get development like guys like Peter and Logan.
    Because that is competition. Because that is a book they or a role taking away from someone who looks like them.

To quote a certain person "How DARE Marvel try to show Muslims as humans" In reference to Ms Marvel's book and ESPECIALLY towards her brother.
    Or " I can't got to comic book store knowing an Asian Hulk has a book."
    Or " I have read Batman for 30 years, I will NOT read it with Duke Thomas in it."
    I can list a bunch more that I have seen (including around here).

They don't care about marginalization. They care about their favorites getting screwed over.
    Who's the dramatic asshat that said this? The concept of this is so mind-numbingly stupid.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Does anyone know of any times an adult became a 'legacy' character by taking on a mantle previously held by a child? That's what happened with Magik, where Amanda Sefton pretended to be Illyana Rasputin even though Amanda was already an adult when Illyana was first introduced and Illyana was 15 when she sacrificed herself. Even after everyone knew who she was, Amanda kept the name Magik until the real Magik came back. I'm wondering just how unusual a case that was, for an adult to take the name of a teenager, since it's normally the other way around. How many other times has something like that happened?

Extraordinary Member

Equal yet opposite

Both Cassie and Kevin were born after their dads gained powers as well, I think
    No...they were both before. Cassie was like 6 years old when Scott got out of prison and when she had her heart problems that is when he stole the Ant-Man suit.

Kevin was a kid as well when his Dad met Thor and started down the hero path.

Astonishing Member

You mean because they're never allowed to age and progress?
    I mean that in this case, it comes off as some kind of "kids are 'ew'" factor expressed in a coded manner. Because the thing of it is is that it's an unnecessary delineation to make in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Speaking of ages, does anyone think that we could use some college age heroes? I’m saying this because I just realized that college is very underutilized as a fictional setting as opposed to high school.
    Greg Weisman's Starbrand was set in college, but it didn't last past the 6 issue mark. (Which is a shame, since it was really good.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That could be due to different demographics. Most comic fans on the forum tend to skew older. So the older heroes tend to appeal to them more than the younger crowd.
    The big thing about that is the inherently biased assumption that "adult" heroes are more "universal", whereas "kid" heroes are more "niche".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I don't know what the research have shown but it seems when in comes to YA fiction , tv shows, books and comics tend to avoid college settings.
    Same for Anime and Manga. Even a number of Seinen works, as an example, will feature high school age leads and casts. That'd make for an interesting study, to inquire why such a trend/tendency exists.

I wonder why that is. You'd think college age heroes would have more latitude to do what they want
    The power and freedoms of fiction says that's not really much of a functional concern.

Considering Spider-Man/Peter Parker moved onto college within the first few years of being published, and that led to some of his most iconic stories, that would make sense.
    Conversely, however, the idea of Spider-Man as the "quintessential high school teenaged superhero" is still far more well-known in wider media. It's what Peter Parker is famous for.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-07-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think at least part of the college setting not being popular is that comics tend to be escapist fantasy, most appealing to people with a life they occasionally want to 'escape,' whether it be because they are living with their parents and want to get out and not be under their rules, or working a day job and want to get out from under their bosses and responsibilities. College is already kind of an 'escape' from those two more structured / restrictive situations for many, and doesn't feel like something one wants to 'escape' as much.

Plus the actual demographic, at least in my experience, was people discovering booze and sex and 4 nights of parties a week for the first time. There wasn't a whole lot of time or bandwidth for comic books (then again, there wasn't a comic store in the town I went to college in, so my experience might have been an outlier and it was a four year comic dry spell for me).

Ultimate Member

No...they were both before. Cassie was like 6 years old when Scott got out of prison and when she had her heart problems that is when he stole the Ant-Man suit.

Kevin was a kid as well when his Dad met Thor and started down the hero path.
    Haha, I messed up. I meant to say before!

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I mean that in this case, it comes off as some kind of "kids are 'ew'" factor expressed in a coded manner. Because the thing of it is is that it's an unnecessary delineation to make in the first place.
    'Ew' as in good or bad?

Same for Anime and Manga. Even a number of Seinen works, as an example, will feature high school age leads and casts. That'd make for an interesting study, to inquire why such a trend/tendency exists.

The power and freedoms of fiction says that's not really much of a functional concern.

Conversely, however, the idea of Spider-Man as the "quintessential high school teenaged superhero" is still far more well-known in wider media. It's what Peter Parker is famous for.
    It may be what he's known for, but that's not really true to the comics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think at least part of the college setting not being popular is that comics tend to be escapist fantasy, most appealing to people with a life they occasionally want to 'escape,' whether it be because they are living with their parents and want to get out and not be under their rules, or working a day job and want to get out from under their bosses and responsibilities. College is already kind of an 'escape' from those two more structured / restrictive situations for many, and doesn't feel like something one wants to 'escape' as much.

Plus the actual demographic, at least in my experience, was people discovering booze and sex and 4 nights of parties a week for the first time. There wasn't a whole lot of time or bandwidth for comic books (then again, there wasn't a comic store in the town I went to college in, so my experience might have been an outlier and it was a four year comic dry spell for me).
    i see what you're saying, although I've never thought of being a high-schooler as escape. It's not like most of these guys have actual families anyway. And some of these high school heroes are always trying to balance their normal life and being a superhero, so that's not really escapist IMO

personally, I don't necessarily read these characters to "escape," but to see where they go and what they do.

The big thing about that is the inherently biased assumption that "adult" heroes are more "universal", whereas "kid" heroes are more "niche".
    It's less that it's niche and more that it's harder to care about that stuff the older you get.

I cared about high school heroes more when I was high school. Same with shonen anime and kids cartoons.

Now that I'm 30, i don't care as much. I dabble but often I just lose interest and drop them.

I'm not against them in theory. I'm more interested in Miles going to High School than Peter. But often these stories don't keep my interest. So they aren't for me and I tend to prefer new characters that are a bit older like Silk.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-07-2021 at 08:46 AM.