Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

'Ew' as in good or bad?
    'Ew' is a verbalization of a sound (an onomatopoeia) used to show disgust and aversion to someone or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It may be what he's known for, but that's not really true to the comics.
    Conversely, I'd say, what Peter may be now in the current comics is generally far from what he's known for outside them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's less that it's niche and more that it's harder to care about that stuff the older you get.

I cared about high school heroes more when I was high school. Same with shonen anime and kids cartoons.

Now that I'm 30, i don't care as much. I dabble but often I just lose interest and drop them.

I'm not against them in theory. I'm more interested in Miles going to High School than Peter. But often these stories don't keep my interest. So they aren't for me and I tend to prefer new characters that are a bit older like Silk.
    Speaking in general, that would be considered a contestable notion. Were that true on a broad scale, than media and works of fiction that focus on that general time frame as a setting, or even as part of the story beyond just being a recurring setting, would not be so widely used.

It also doesn't change how presumptuous this thread's title and topic is, which was what I was getting at when I made my first post in this thread.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    'Ew' is a verbalization of a sound (an onomatopoeia) used to show disgust and aversion to someone or something.
    Ok

Conversely, I'd say, what Peter may be now in the current comics is generally far from what he's known for outside them.
    Well, I'd prefer he not be stuck as a teen forever. When the X-Men were introduced, they were around his age yet were allowed to age not just in the comics but in the movies as well.

Speaking in general, that would be considered a contestable notion. Were that true on a broad scale, than media and works of fiction that focus on that general time frame as a setting, or even as part of the story beyond just being a recurring setting, would not be so widely used.

It also doesn't change how presumptuous this thread's title and topic is, which was what I was getting at when I made my first post in this thread.
    It's more anecdotal than factual.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think at least part of the college setting not being popular is that comics tend to be escapist fantasy, most appealing to people with a life they occasionally want to 'escape,' whether it be because they are living with their parents and want to get out and not be under their rules, or working a day job and want to get out from under their bosses and responsibilities. College is already kind of an 'escape' from those two more structured / restrictive situations for many, and doesn't feel like something one wants to 'escape' as much.

Plus the actual demographic, at least in my experience, was people discovering booze and sex and 4 nights of parties a week for the first time. There wasn't a whole lot of time or bandwidth for comic books (then again, there wasn't a comic store in the town I went to college in, so my experience might have been an outlier and it was a four year comic dry spell for me).
    Ouch. Back when I went to college there was a comic shop a mere block or so from campus, and several others a short BART train ride away in neighboring cities. Between that, the various book stores, music/record shops and eateries, I was in heaven. And what's this? Only 4 nights of parties? Slackers!

As for the topic at hand, I admit that I have very little interest in reading about most characters who aren't at least in their late teens. This is not new. I hated my childhood. Naturally, my chosen form of escape didn't entail reading about kids as heroes. I was not looking for a mirror with characters who reflected my peerage and circumstance, albeit more slightly gussied up with super powers. I didn't even like the notion of kids as sidekicks. Hated Robin, Bucky, the entire lot of them. No, I was the Billy Batson who wanted to be Captain Marvel all of the time. No reversion "Shazam!" cry would my younger self utter. Ever. I instinctively knew that being an adult was simply more fun. Period. (And I wasn't wrong.)

I realize Marvel has little choice but to keep trying to reel in young readers to replenish their base and secure their future. But I don't know that having wave after wave of new youthful characters is the best approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, she was born before, but there's nothing saying she couldn't get powers at some point.
    True...

Of course one easy way to do it would be to recycle She-Hulk's and Patriot II's origins. Jennifer and Eli both got their powers from a blood transfusion from a family member (cousin and grandfather respectively).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    True...

Of course one easy way to do it would be to recycle She-Hulk's and Patriot II's origins. Jennifer and Eli both got their powers from a blood transfusion from a family member (cousin and grandfather respectively).
    Yeah, of course. Julia giving Rachel a blood transfusion to save her life . . . or even the same serum that gave Julia her powers . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, of course. Julia giving Rachel a blood transfusion to save her life . . . or even the same serum that gave Julia her powers . . .
    Or from elsewhere so she has a different power set than mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Or from elsewhere so she has a different power set than mom.
    Hmm, maybe.

Extraordinary Member

Hmm, maybe.
    Picture this...Rachel is sick. Powerful sick. Turns out her liver is going bad and she will need a transplant. However...she is not going to make it waiting on the transplant list. She will need a living donor and none of her family are matches. So Julia goes to her Avengers friends to try to find someone and per chance her old Avengers West team mate Bobbi Morse is a match. They do the transplant and within weeks instead of the regular months for recovery Rachel is healed and slowly getting the benefits of the SSS-IF Cocktail.

Edit...or maybe it is Nighthawk from 616 who is a match.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 06-10-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I'd like to see "abandoned" ones used rather than add a lot of new clutter that may end up just like the "abandoned" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Picture this...Rachel is sick. Powerful sick. Turns out her liver is going bad and she will need a transplant. However...she is not going to make it waiting on the transplant list. She will need a living donor and none of her family are matches. So Julia goes to her Avengers friends to try to find someone and per chance her old Avengers West team mate Bobbi Morse is a match. They do the transplant and within weeks instead of the regular months for recovery Rachel is healed and slowly getting the benefits of the SSS-IF Cocktail.

Edit...or maybe it is Nighthawk from 616 who is a match.
    Either would be an excellent idea, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    I'd like to see "abandoned" ones used rather than add a lot of new clutter that may end up just like the "abandoned" ones.
    Yeah, that would be a good idea, too.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's crazy how many characters Marvel has just lying around gathering dust.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That was what led to the first New Warriors series. They had characters like Nova, Speedball, Firestar, Namorita, and Marvel Boy (Justice) and someone thought "hey these kids are just sitting on the shelf why not put them in a book together". They added a few new ones and had a hit. The problem since then is marvel wants to create a team with 90% new characters and through in maybe one or two old ones. It is assbackwards thinking. You bring in older fans with characters they like and then introduce them to a couple new ones not the other way around.

Ultimate Member

You think the current group of young heroes will stick around? Miles and Kamala are two most popular new Marvel heroes, so I'm guessing they and their contemporaries may have more staying power than other generations who've been ignored