Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Please...and give them differing views based on their upbringing. Put some conflict and drama into the team dynamic because of those differing views.
    Some heroes from the US south or midwest who aren't kinda mean pokes at hardline conservatives (like US Agent) would be a fun twist. There are lots of genuinely nice folk who happen to have been born south and west of NYC with their own culture that feels a bit marginalized, or even flanderized, when they do appear.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Oversaturation will always happen and it'll leave some characters in limbo. The Fallen Angels, X-Terminators and Fantastic Force come to mind.
    I do laugh at the term 'oversaturation' since there's also complaints about the saturation levels in the Marvel movies, and that's all about *the color*, not the number of people. Cause, at one level, this discussion is also about 'the color.'

All them new colors showing up to darken up the old familiar sea of white faces.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Some heroes from the US south or midwest who aren't kinda mean pokes at hardline conservatives (like US Agent) would be a fun twist. There are lots of genuinely nice folk who happen to have been born south and west of NYC with their own culture that feels a bit marginalized, or even flanderized, when they do appear.

I do laugh at the term 'oversaturation' since there's also complaints about the saturation levels in the Marvel movies, and that's all about *the color*, not the number of people. Cause, at one level, this discussion is also about 'the color.'

All them new colors showing up to darken up the old familiar sea of white faces.
    No offense, but of all the marginalized cultures out there, other White Americans are probably the least marginalized. Still, it would be nice to move out of NY. It's overrepresented tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    This. An average citizen of the Shiar empire or Savage Land is given better character development than a character who lives in Pennsylvania. Progress is slow, Marvel didn't really start believing in the West Coast until the late 90s/2000s. Notice I said "believing in the West Coast" not "didn't do stories there."
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    This. An average citizen of the Shiar empire or Savage Land is given better character development than a character who lives in Pennsylvania. Progress is slow, Marvel didn't really start believing in the West Coast until the late 90s/2000s. Notice I said "believing in the West Coast" not "didn't do stories there."
    I remember when Flash Thompson/Agent Venom moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to make a fresh start for himself. That was an interesting idea they could have stuck out a bit longer.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    No offense, but of all the marginalized cultures out there, other White Americans are probably the least marginalized. Still, it would be nice to move out of NY. It's overrepresented tbh
    You do realize there are conservatives who are not white...right?

Here is the seriousness you take this topic

Make sure those heroes are not completely terrible and assholes like "Ms. America" and "Ironheart"
    To which the only reply should be maybe the characters OP mention are "completely terrible" which is why they are not being used. It is just that simple
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-30-2021 at 11:27 PM.

It is a trend they wanted to capitalize on. I'd say less legacy characters but that's just personal opinion. Plus I think they could be done better.

However the replacement character trope should be less used. Riri got screwed over because Bendis tried to rehash what he did with Miles. She would've benefited more from what he did with Naomi later on.

A bigger issue is comic book time which hurts younger characters more than the adults. But I was a Harry Potter kid so kids staying kids forever never appealed to me.

Ultimate Member

You do realize there are conservatives who are not white...right?
    Yeah, and? They're not marginalized, are they?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It is a trend they wanted to capitalize on. I'd say less legacy characters but that's just personal opinion. Plus I think they could be done better.

However the replacement character trope should be less used. Riri got screwed over because Bendis tried to rehash what he did with Miles. She would've benefited more from what he did with Naomi later on.

A bigger issue is comic book time which hurts younger characters more than the adults. But I was a Harry Potter kid so kids staying kids forever never appealed to me.
    With a few exceptions, I think there is always the temptation to age characters. It's why you get so many time travel or divergent future stories whenever young heroes are on the team. People want to see their potential realized. More than that, at a certain point the concept of having kids face adult situations loses its luster. Inevitably, writers want to write them as adults and readers want to read them as such. Unfortunately, that can result in the "age yo-yo" where characters go back and forth in terms of their age depending on the writer/story arc. Franklin Richards knows this all too well.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, and? They're not marginalized, are they?
    Look at their treatment by liberals.

Ultimate Member

Look at their treatment by liberals.
    Really? How? Because people disagree with them? PoC are marginalized. Women are marginalized. Conservatives aren't. And they don't seem to care as much about other people being marginalized.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    With a few exceptions, I think there is always the temptation to age characters. It's why you get so many time travel or divergent future stories whenever young heroes are on the team. People want to see their potential realized. More than that, at a certain point the concept of having kids face adult situations loses its luster. Inevitably, writers want to write them as adults and readers want to read them as such. Unfortunately, that can result in the "age yo-yo" where characters go back and forth in terms of their age depending on the writer/story arc. Franklin Richards knows this all too well.
    It's something the MCU and the other films/tv shows would handle better. Plus real time does get acknowledged more and actors will inevitably leave a role. There's less of a need to keep characters in their teens.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-31-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Really? How? Because people disagree with them? PoC are marginalized. Women are marginalized. Conservatives aren't. And they don't seem to care as much about other people being marginalized.
    Because of the racist, anti-semitic and misogynistic comments made against people in traditionally liberal demographics when they espouse conservative beliefs.

Ultimate Member

Because of the racist, anti-semitic and misogynistic comments made against people in traditionally liberal demographics when they espouse conservative beliefs.
    Um, ok, so why should that mean conservatives should feel oppressed?

Extraordinary Member

Um, ok, so why should that mean conservatives should feel oppressed?
    So you don't feel that racial slurs against conservative POC are marginalizing or oppressive?