Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It's unfortunate unrelated heroes don't succeed, although at the same time, I have no problem with newer heroes based on previous ones. Really, both types need to be pushed to succeed. Hopefully Reptil does succeed. By the way, do other non-legacy heroes have interesting or distinct power sets? Maybe that's why contributes to them not getting pushes
    Yeah, it would definitely be cool, especially after liking what I saw of him in Avengers Academy and more recently, the Amazing Spider-Man one-shot for King in Black.

Really, those kinds of fans need to restrain themselves. Idk how much of the fandom they actually represent
    Hopefully not that much, but they are certainly vocal.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It's unfortunate unrelated heroes don't succeed, although at the same time, I have no problem with newer heroes based on previous ones. Really, both types need to be pushed to succeed. Hopefully Reptil does succeed. By the way, do other non-legacy heroes have interesting or distinct power sets? Maybe that's why contributes to them not getting pushes
    Well the only ones I can think of are some of the nuhumans like Dante or Flint. But it seems like the only Inhumans Marvel still cares about are Kamala and Lunella since the Inhumans push blew up in Marvels face.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Well the only ones I can think of are some of the nuhumans like Dante or Flint. But it seems like the only Inhumans Marvel still cares about are Kamala and Lunella since the Inhumans push blew up in Marvels face.
    Hmm, point there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    They can always try again.

It's possible. I think part of the appeal of younger/newer characters is how they can be more in tune with upcoming trends and changes in society
    I think it’s becoming a demarcation point that younger, tech-savvy heroes are going to operate in another level, compared to conventional superheroes of the past. I’m starting to think the young ones are going to have to be consulted in reference to problem solving in the social media area. I remember seeing Cap in front of the media swarm like a deer in the headlight. He had no clue what to do in those circumstances.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I think it’s becoming a demarcation point that younger, tech-savvy heroes are going to operate in another level, compared to conventional superheroes of the past. I’m starting to think the young ones are going to have to be consulted in reference to problem solving in the social media area. I remember seeing Cap in front of the media swarm like a deer in the headlight. He had no clue what to do in those circumstances.
    It could be. Maybe that'll lead them to be more conscious of their actions, or even change how they do "superheroics."

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    That's a good point. I mean, just look at what happened in the original Civil War arc. Captain America could have pleaded his case to the public and the press after Maria Hill tried to have him arrested for merely voicing moral opposition to the SHRA, which hadn't even become law yet, but instead he went rogue, believing his actions in continuing to be a hero despite being unsanctioned by the SHRA would speak louder than his words, even if he had some rather inspirational ones to pass on to Spider-Man (Peter Parker). Unfortunately for his premise, since he didn't (or couldn't) make a public-facing defense of his actions and intentions, it was easy for the forces supporting registration to demonize him as a dangerous renegade that needed to be taken down for the good of society. Then at the end, after he surrendered upon nearly killing Iron Man and having to be pulled off by a bunch of first responders, he was confronted in prison while awaiting trial by a reporter named Sally Floyd, who basically told him that he was out of touch with what modern Americans wanted, expected, and needed. In retrospect, that might not have been as utterly nonsensical a point to make as it seemed at the time, even if it felt like kicking him while he was already down.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, maybe those two have had bad comics. I haven't read all of them so I can't totally be sure. But considering how quickly new diverse characters get dropped and ignored, as many have pointed out here, these kinds characters need more time to be built up, even if they have questionable or even terrible stories. I think the fandom could be lenient

Nothing justifies threats or harassment though
    America's comic was bad.

Riri's was okay.

The issue we keep seeing is way too many folks do not READ or understand the concept of "think for yourself". Not listen to grifters that need youtube revenue and make up stuff.

How are you getting replaced if you are still active in books? Excluding Bruce Banner & most of Fantastic Four-everyone else including X-Men were active in Marvel.

And Marvel has to be called out for pandering to all that nonsense. Remember I can only use a character that editorial allows me to.

Leah Williams- she did not pitch a Gwenpool book, it was dumped on her.

She and Vita have FOUGHT for book for the likes of Colossus & Storm.

Bendis wanted Static in Young Justice-got told NO (that lawsuit had nothing to do with it). Gail Simone had the same issue with Rocket.

At times it seem Marvel is more worried about that toxic echo chamber than just doing books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a good point. I mean, just look at what happened in the original Civil War arc. Captain America could have pleaded his case to the public and the press after Maria Hill tried to have him arrested for merely voicing moral opposition to the SHRA, which hadn't even become law yet, but instead he went rogue, believing his actions in continuing to be a hero despite being unsanctioned by the SHRA would speak louder than his words, even if he had some rather inspirational ones to pass on to Spider-Man (Peter Parker). Unfortunately for his premise, since he didn't (or couldn't) make a public-facing defense of his actions and intentions, it was easy for the forces supporting registration to demonize him as a dangerous renegade that needed to be taken down for the good of society. Then at the end, after he surrendered upon nearly killing Iron Man and having to be pulled off by a bunch of first responders, he was confronted in prison while awaiting trial by a reporter named Sally Floyd, who basically told him that he was out of touch with what modern Americans wanted, expected, and needed. In retrospect, that might not have been as utterly nonsensical a point to make as it seemed at the time, even if it felt like kicking him while he was already down.
    Yeah, that really made Cap unlikeable. The whole premise of civil war started out with more introspective ideas but devolved from there. Maybe more modern people don't want heroes to act without oversight. But that storyline led to a lot of ooc moments anyway

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    America's comic was bad.

Riri's was okay.

The issue we keep seeing is way too many folks do not READ or understand the concept of "think for yourself". Not listen to grifters that need youtube revenue and make up stuff.

How are you getting replaced if you are still active in books? Excluding Bruce Banner & most of Fantastic Four-everyone else including X-Men were active in Marvel.

And Marvel has to be called out for pandering to all that nonsense. Remember I can only use a character that editorial allows me to.

Leah Williams- she did not pitch a Gwenpool book, it was dumped on her.

She and Vita have FOUGHT for book for the likes of Colossus & Storm.

Bendis wanted Static in Young Justice-got told NO (that lawsuit had nothing to do with it). Gail Simone had the same issue with Rocket.

At times it seem Marvel is more worried about that toxic echo chamber than just doing books.
    Ok. By toxic echo chamber, you're referring to those anti-SJW types, right?

Astonishing Member

I find the insinuation of "too many/oversaturated young heroes" to be weird, especially when the general inverse of "too many/oversaturation of adult heroes" isn't even given a thought.

Extraordinary Member

I guess a big part of the issue is when and why new characters are created,

The original New Mutants were the first expansion of the X-line beyond the core X-Men team. They were the first group of kids to be trained by the X-Men. While their appearances haven't been consistent, they have been generally around since then, with the first X-Force, some of them becoming teachers, the group reforming several times, and at least one member becoming a breakout star and core X-Man, Magik. While the general public doesn't know Karma, Sunspot, and Cannonball, comic readers know exactly who they are. Plus Sam and Roberto became Avengers and Roberto became the leader of AIM.

The later teams seem to have fared worse and worse. Generation X had pretty well-known characters like Husk and Chamber, but those characters haven't been as as successful as their predecessors. Jubilee was already big since the book followed the X-Men cartoon. Synch is on the new X-Men team now though, and I don't think these characters have even really been forgotten.

The New X-Men of the mid-2000s are a group that seems to be stuck in perpetual childhood, not allowed to grow up now matter what new kids appear. Anole fans are complaining about this nonstop even though he's appearing a lot right now. Elixir and Prodigy I think are the ones who broke out the most from this era. Some in-betweeners like Kid Omega and Glob who were after Gen. X but before New X-Men also keep showing up.

It made a lot of sense to have a new group of trainees in the Bendis run since it was right after 'No More Mutants' was undone. Of course new mutants would pop up and need to be rescued and be taught how to use their powers. What's interesting is how some of these trainees have jumped above older trainee characters in being of supreme importance to mutantkind. Tempus and Goldballs are big parts of the resurrection protocols while characters created almost 10 years earlier are still being taught how to use their powers in the kids area. Though most other Bendis students seem to have disappeared.

I'm not quite as up on the Avengers' kids. But it seems to me that the X-kids don't usually just disappear to be forgotten even if they don't necessarily graduate to serving alongside Cyclops and Storm. Each generation has at least a few new characters who stick around for the long haul in some capacity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I find the insinuation of "too many/oversaturated young heroes" to be weird, especially when the general inverse of "too many/oversaturation of adult heroes" isn't even given a thought.
    You mean because they're never allowed to age and progress?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I guess a big part of the issue is when and why new characters are created,

The original New Mutants were the first expansion of the X-line beyond the core X-Men team. They were the first group of kids to be trained by the X-Men. While their appearances haven't been consistent, they have been generally around since then, with the first X-Force, some of them becoming teachers, the group reforming several times, and at least one member becoming a breakout star and core X-Man, Magik. While the general public doesn't know Karma, Sunspot, and Cannonball, comic readers know exactly who they are. Plus Sam and Roberto became Avengers and Roberto became the leader of AIM.

The later teams seem to have fared worse and worse. Generation X had pretty well-known characters like Husk and Chamber, but those characters haven't been as as successful as their predecessors. Jubilee was already big since the book followed the X-Men cartoon. Synch is on the new X-Men team now though, and I don't think these characters have even really been forgotten.

The New X-Men of the mid-2000s are a group that seems to be stuck in perpetual childhood, not allowed to grow up now matter what new kids appear. Anole fans are complaining about this nonstop even though he's appearing a lot right now. Elixir and Prodigy I think are the ones who broke out the most from this era. Some in-betweeners like Kid Omega and Glob who were after Gen. X but before New X-Men also keep showing up.

It made a lot of sense to have a new group of trainees in the Bendis run since it was right after 'No More Mutants' was undone. Of course new mutants would pop up and need to be rescued and be taught how to use their powers. What's interesting is how some of these trainees have jumped above older trainee characters in being of supreme importance to mutantkind. Tempus and Goldballs are big parts of the resurrection protocols while characters created almost 10 years earlier are still being taught how to use their powers in the kids area. Though most other Bendis students seem to have disappeared.

I'm not quite as up on the Avengers' kids. But it seems to me that the X-kids don't usually just disappear to be forgotten even if they don't necessarily graduate to serving alongside Cyclops and Storm. Each generation has at least a few new characters who stick around for the long haul in some capacity.
    Interesting analysis. I assumed the newer Avengers kids, like Ms. Marvel, were more popular than the newer X-Kids. Maybe I'm wrong.

I feel like some of these newer X-Men should show up in the MCU, as the "starting out group," if that makes sense

Speaking of ages, does anyone think that we could use some college age heroes? I’m saying this because I just realized that college is very underutilized as a fictional setting as opposed to high school.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"