Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    She does in her new miniseries.

I'm cool with both Anya and Cindy being journalists. There's more than one journalist in the world.
    True. Marvel has a bunch of scientists, so 3 or 4 journalists isn't too much.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I wonder why that is. You'd think college age heroes would have more latitude to do what they want
    I don't know what the research have shown but it seems when in comes to YA fiction , tv shows, books and comics tend to avoid college settings.
    There are YA books that take place in colleges. The issue is how much do you want to do or try to get away with in the book or show.

Miles's book does a good job of keeping his parents around and giving him independence at a on campus school.

Static and Ms Marvel are showing you the life a hero at school as is Star Girl on the CW.

Now college kids you are limited in how far you want to go while dealing with a YA audience. Notice Archie has flat out avoided college.

I don't get why a group mocked for their interests wouldn't be more sympathetic to demographics who've experienced even more marginalization.

EASY- lets go back in time shall we- how many shows, books or movies have shown nerds that were WHITE STRAIGHT & MALE as leads?

That is the issue.

It was their haven and IF POC were around-they were UNDEVELOPED. They MIGHT get a story as a lead.

EVERYONE was guilty-Star Trek, Dr Who, Star Wars, Marvel, DC and others.
    Now they don't mind a Static, Spawn, Martha Washington, Cap Sisko or Allen Strange. Because its just them and we get GAPS between someone else.

What IRKS that toxic group is this..... DEVELOPMENT. They don't like see POC get development like guys like Peter and Logan.
    Because that is competition. Because that is a book they or a role taking away from someone who looks like them.

To quote a certain person "How DARE Marvel try to show Muslims as humans" In reference to Ms Marvel's book and ESPECIALLY towards her brother.
    Or " I can't got to comic book store knowing an Asian Hulk has a book."
    Or " I have read Batman for 30 years, I will NOT read it with Duke Thomas in it."
    I can list a bunch more that I have seen (including around here).

They don't care about marginalization. They care about their favorites getting screwed over.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There are YA books that take place in colleges. The issue is how much do you want to do or try to get away with in the book or show.

Miles's book does a good job of keeping his parents around and giving him independence at a on campus school.

Static and Ms Marvel are showing you the life a hero at school as is Star Girl on the CW.

Now college kids you are limited in how far you want to go while dealing with a YA audience. Notice Archie has flat out avoided college.

EASY- lets go back in time shall we- how many shows, books or movies have shown nerds that were WHITE STRAIGHT & MALE as leads?

That is the issue.

It was their haven and IF POC were around-they were UNDEVELOPED. They MIGHT get a story as a lead.

EVERYONE was guilty-Star Trek, Dr Who, Star Wars, Marvel, DC and others.
    Now they don't mind a Static, Spawn, Martha Washington, Cap Sisko or Allen Strange. Because its just them and we get GAPS between someone else.

What IRKS that toxic group is this..... DEVELOPMENT. They don't like see POC get development like guys like Peter and Logan.
    Because that is competition. Because that is a book they or a role taking away from someone who looks like them.

To quote a certain person "How DARE Marvel try to show Muslims as humans" In reference to Ms Marvel's book and ESPECIALLY towards her brother.
    Or " I have read Batman for 30 years, I will NOT read it with Duke Thomas in it."

They don't care about marginalization. They care about their favorites getting screwed over.
    Their favorites, that they tend to identify with mostly out of the perception of sharing a common identity with those characters, not to mention that they think any attempts at giving greater emphasis in the genre, fandom, and industry to more marginalized groups and identities are a direct assault on their own "rightful place" within that same zone, much like the backlash in real-life American culture and politics towards greater inclusion and representation of those same marginalized groups and identities. To put it in shorter words and more succinct terms, they just lack empathy for the struggles of others who've been excluded and left out, much like they themselves were by "mainstream" society. It's kind of sad, to be honest.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I remember when Agents of Atlas first came out, someone always seemed to crawl out of the woodwork to complain about China not being able to have heroes, because China had some oppressive policies or something, as if that somehow made every single one of those 1.3 villains into villains. (As if I, an American, can't be a good person because of my own nation's misdeeds.)

Weird racist crap seems to bubble up, and if I didn't care at all for some of these developments or all of the characters that have spawned from this generation, I enjoy some of the fresh faces, and hope we get more of these sorts of books and characters, just to keep reminding the racists *they* are the minority.

Plus I like to put the various Asian or Pride or black specials on the top of the pull pile to annoy the conservative guy at the comic shop, who stops talking inane mask conspiracy politics for the five minutes I do my order and pretends to be a normal person.

(I read comic books about superheroes! Of course I don't mind wearing a mask! I'd wear a cape, if they let me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I remember when Agents of Atlas first came out, someone always seemed to crawl out of the woodwork to complain about China not being able to have heroes, because China had some oppressive policies or something, as if that somehow made every single one of those 1.3 villains into villains. (As if I, an American, can't be a good person because of my own nation's misdeeds.)

Weird racist crap seems to bubble up, and if I didn't care at all for some of these developments or all of the characters that have spawned from this generation, I enjoy some of the fresh faces, and hope we get more of these sorts of books and characters, just to keep reminding the racists *they* are the minority.

Plus I like to put the various Asian or Pride or black specials on the top of the pull pile to annoy the conservative guy at the comic shop, who stops talking inane mask conspiracy politics for the five minutes I do my order and pretends to be a normal person.

(I read comic books about superheroes! Of course I don't mind wearing a mask! I'd wear a cape, if they let me!)
    Hmm, yeah.

Ultimate Member

I get that a lot of fandoms are heavily White and male. But why adopt the toxic mentalities from the same hierarchy which kept them down? I hate the toxic masculine ideal which mocks nerdy interests, like the kinds I'm interested in, so I'd never adopt that myself. But it's not even close to what actually marginalized groups face. Is being empathetic so hard?
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 06-05-2021 at 03:28 PM.

I get that a lot of fandoms are heavily White and male. But why adopt the toxic mentalities from the same hierarchy which kept them down? I hate the toxic masculine ideal which mocks nerdy interests, like the kinds I'm interested in, so I'd never adopt that myself. But it's not even close to what actually marginalized groups face. Is being empathetic so hard?
    That's a fair question.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a fair question.
    Yeah, and hateful people in these fandoms should ask questions like this of themselves

Yeah, and hateful people in these fandoms should ask questions like this of themselves
    If only . . . To get back to the core question of whether or not Marvel is oversaturated with young heroes who aren't really gonna go anywhere without attachment to an already-established adult hero brand, I'd say it's an overall matter of attracting younger readers with characters they can identify with and relate to more easily compared to the more established adult heroes. Maybe some attempts misfire, but it's better that Marvel at least tries to expand its readership base rather than let itself stagnate by overreliance on "core fans," some of whom refuse to accept change.

Ultimate Member

If only . . . To get back to the core question of whether or not Marvel is oversaturated with young heroes who aren't really gonna go anywhere without attachment to an already-established adult hero brand, I'd say it's an overall matter of attracting younger readers with characters they can identify with and relate to more easily compared to the more established adult heroes. Maybe some attempts misfire, but it's better that Marvel at least tries to expand its readership base rather than let itself stagnate by overreliance on "core fans," some of whom refuse to accept change.
    Yeah, not every change will go smoothly, but keeping things too static won't attract consistent new readers

Extraordinary Member

This is why I say a new YA book needs new blood....even if it is existing young heroes who are Avengers legacies like Thunderstrike or Spider-Girl who have not been used in a while. Yes I know Anya is showing up in Black Widow. Another possibility is Rebecca Marchand from the Spider-Woman book...is she going to have the same powers as Auntie Jess? Could she be the Spider-Legacy for the YA?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    This is why I say a new YA book needs new blood....even if it is existing young heroes who are Avengers legacies like Thunderstrike or Spider-Girl who have not been used in a while. Yes I know Anya is showing up in Black Widow. Another possibility is Rebecca Marchand from the Spider-Woman book...is she going to have the same powers as Auntie Jess? Could she be the Spider-Legacy for the YA?
    I always did wonder why Thor's modern legacy character didn't get used as much as other Avengers'

Extraordinary Member

I always did wonder why Thor's modern legacy character didn't get used as much as other Avengers'
    I did not read Thor during the era where Eric and Kevin were introduced and picked up the trade of the Thunderstrike limited series where Kevin gets the mace on a whim and loved it. but after that he was put in a placeholder role in some books like Avengers Academy. Read the Fear Itself: The Chosen story and Asgardians of The Galaxy and really liked him as a character and want to see more of him.

I've said many times my dream Ant-Man book would have him in a supporting role as Cassie's boyfriend.

Ultimate Member

I did not read Thor during the era where Eric and Kevin were introduced and picked up the trade of the Thunderstrike limited series where Kevin gets the mace on a whim and loved it. but after that he was put in a placeholder role in some books like Avengers Academy. Read the Fear Itself: The Chosen story and Asgardians of The Galaxy and really liked him as a character and want to see more of him.

I've said many times my dream Ant-Man book would have him in a supporting role as Cassie's boyfriend.
    In a way they're parallels because they're the kids of the second versions of the original heroes

In a way they're parallels because they're the kids of the second versions of the original heroes
    Good points there. There are a number of children of Avengers from that period who could at least be young teenagers by now, i.e. Rachel Carpenter, daughter of Julia Carpenter, a.k.a. Spider-Woman II, Arachne, and Madame Web II.