View Poll Results: Which Superman Villain Should Get Their Own Ongoing?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lex Luthor

11 22.00%
  • Brainiac

2 4.00%
  • General Zod

10 20.00%
  • Bizarro

5 10.00%
  • Mister Mxyzptlk

4 8.00%
  • Cyborg Superman

4 8.00%
  • Metallo

1 2.00%
  • Silver Banshee

2 4.00%
  • Livewire

2 4.00%
  • Parasite

1 2.00%
  • Kryptonite Man

0 0%
  • Doomsday

1 2.00%
  • Toyman

0 0%
  • Batman

4 8.00%
  • Other

3 6.00%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Smile Which Superman Villain Should Get Their Own Ongoing?

The villains in a popular hero's rogues gallery branching out into their own monthly series is fairly common in comics. Spiderman foe Venom, Batman antagonist Catwoman, Teen Titans nemesis Deathstroke, and New Mutants adversary Deadpool have all had numerous successful solo titles. Even the unsympathetic Joker has his own series at one point.

However, Superman's villains haven't shared the same luck aside from the occasional miniseries

Are you asking in terms of being popular enough to get good sales? If so then probably Lex Luthor and General Zod. But I would love a book starring the Kurt Busiek's version of the prankster or some kind of version of the villanous Toyman. Bizarro already had several solo stories and it would be great to bring him back.

For me,

Livewire struggles with going legit,

Zod family drama on New Krypton.

Metallo is forced to do dirty work for Luthor.

Toyman or Prankster could try to learn magic. It showcases the mystical side from an unconventional approach.

Bizarro as the King of Hell could be fun.

The only interesting take on Doomsday was from Smallville. That was the only time I cared about Doomsday as a character. But bringing that into canon would just be what Scott Lobdell did in "Doomed".
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-30-2021 at 12:19 PM.

I voted Mxy, just because he could have a whole host of supporting casts that have nothing to do with Superman. It'd be goofy, zany, almost like Looney Tunes. And maybe have a very subversive humor. Could be fun!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Silver Banshee.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I voted Mxy, just because he could have a whole host of supporting casts that have nothing to do with Superman. It'd be goofy, zany, almost like Looney Tunes. And maybe have a very subversive humor. Could be fun!
    I didn't even think of Mister Mxyzptlk but it's a great idea.

Bizarro. You can play him as an anti-hero, hero, or plain comedy. Many angles to work with.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think Bizarro DID have his own title for a little bit where he teamed up with Jimmy. And of course he's a member of the Outlaws. But he only really works when he has a straight man to play off of. I think Luthor could carry a title depending on what they put him up against. His intellect being the driving factor to get him out of situations.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Livewire struggles with going legit,
    Hmm If this was Supermen of America I'd love it! Leslie was actually on a Superteam for all of one comic book! I'd love to see that as it's own book.
    Zod family drama on New Krypton.
    I loved New Krypton... in some ways, but it didn't last long enough to get interesting. :/
    Metallo is forced to do dirty work for Luthor.
    They've done this for small arcs, but a big one could be fun.
    Toyman or Prankster could try to learn magic. It showcases the mystical side from an unconventional approach.
    Hmm depends on the approach to the magic, but could be good.

I actually think Bloodsport might get something depending on how Elba’s performance in The Suicide Squad is received. But if the ones listed I chose Metallo because that’s the one I want to get some focus and development. However of the ones listed, three stand out to me as being able to support their own books:

Lex is the obvious choice, he’s already been the main star of his own minis, and his time headlining Action Comics under Paul Cornell before the New 52 reboot was fantastic. Lex can be as sympathetic or repulsive as the writer wants, his motivations are sympathetic enough that it’s believable readers would root for him, and that he relies on his brains, charisma, and wealth in a world of superpowers is an enticing appeal.

Zod. Evil Superman is really popular so I think the biggest Evil Superman other than alternate Kals could easily support a mini or ongoing. Make it about his quest to revive the Kandorians, build New Krypton, and crush any threats he might encounter. Get Cullen Bunn to write it, he does a great job with villain protagonists such as Sinestro and Magneto, he’d do a great job.

With Metallo you could easily do a mini where he’s forced to work for Waller and Sam Lane and keeps trying to escape their control, while also doing the USA’s black ops work.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I really don't see how Metallo could support a title. His entire purpose rotates around Superman. He is the man of steel with the kryptonite heart. That is of no consequence for anyone aside from Superman.

Bizarro can easily support his own title because he is a comedic character and because of Bizarro World, an absurd take on the entire dc universe.

Definitely, my choice would be...

Obsession

Thought something like Zod ruling over a planet like Daxam or a New Krpyton situation could be an interesting premise, have the whole premise of Injustice/Evil Superman but on a planet where you can do whatever because no one cares about it and in main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Thought something like Zod ruling over a planet like Daxam or a New Krpyton situation could be an interesting premise, have the whole premise of Injustice/Evil Superman but on a planet where you can do whatever because no one cares about it and in main continuity.
    Yeah I think if it was a sinestro like book where Zod attempts to set himself as a legitimate power within the United planets would be pretty cool to see.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I always loved Parasite so i'll go with him, I'd do a King style deconstruction to dive into his never ending hunger/addiction for power.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8