Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52
  1. #31
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's crazy that Diana didn't get her own story in the DC Pride Anthology. She had an ex-girlfriend in Rucka’s run, it was a perfect opportunity to explore that.
    Seriously. They could have copped out and done a story where Diana protects a queer couple or queer protest.

    But, really, if they didn't want to show their number 1 lady hero as openly queer, they could have done a story about Hippolyta and Phillipus together with their amazing superheroing daughter!

    I wonder where Cloonan and Conrad will take Diana's romantic exploits. We have Seigfried as a continuing presence and I'm sure they'll deal with Steve at some point. It'd be fascinating if they tackled polyamory, but I guess Marvel's beat them there with Jean, Wolverine, and Cyclops lol.

  2. #32
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think in his first run, he just wasn’t interested in pursuing any kind of romantic relationship with Diana. Something which carried on to other writers because if we all remember, Diana was going through some craaazzzzyyyy stuff around that time.

    And then DC cared more about having her date Superman in Nu52.
    Yeah. I know Io had a thing for her but it just seems like a wasted opportunity now.

    I can do without more SuperWonder, though. I get it, especially early in their careers, but personally it doesn't really do much for me.

    But I'm a filthy Lois and Clark shipper so take that with a mountain of salt.

  3. #33
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah. I know Io had a thing for her but it just seems like a wasted opportunity now.

    I can do without more SuperWonder, though. I get it, especially early in their careers, but personally it doesn't really do much for me.

    But I'm a filthy Lois and Clark shipper so take that with a mountain of salt.
    I'm not a Lois and Clark shipper. I think it was the best thing Dc comics ever did was making WW and SM a couple!! Hopefully Dc comics will get them back together in another universe.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Seriously. They could have copped out and done a story where Diana protects a queer couple or queer protest.

    But, really, if they didn't want to show their number 1 lady hero as openly queer, they could have done a story about Hippolyta and Phillipus together with their amazing superheroing daughter!

    I wonder where Cloonan and Conrad will take Diana's romantic exploits. We have Seigfried as a continuing presence and I'm sure they'll deal with Steve at some point. It'd be fascinating if they tackled polyamory, but I guess Marvel's beat them there with Jean, Wolverine, and Cyclops lol.
    Yeah DC was pretty much asleep at the wheel there's a lot more they could do with that corner of their universe.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nontheless):
    DC: Green Lantern, Wonder Girl, Far Sector, The Other History of the DC Universe, The Next Batamn, Robin, Nightwing
    Marvel: HiXmen, Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Immortal Hulk, Daredevil
    Image: Killadelphia, Bitter Root, Excellence, Decorum
    IDW: TMNT: The Last Ronin
    Other: Seven Secrets, Jember, Hawi, Watchman, Black Hammer

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,106

    Default

    On the other hand, given how WB flubbed a tribute to the LGBT community with Injustice mobile, maybe we dodged a bullet with DC's attempt regarding Wonder Woman.

    https://kotaku.com/injustice-2-mobil...s-b-1847029628

  6. #36
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    On the other hand, given how WB flubbed a tribute to the LGBT community with Injustice mobile, maybe we dodged a bullet with DC's attempt regarding Wonder Woman.

    https://kotaku.com/injustice-2-mobil...s-b-1847029628
    Yeah, there's not many great ways to do this sort of thing in a fighting game. Maybe have the queer heroes take down Wonder Woman (who is a villain in that continuity) in some sort of gauntlet?

    Really should have just been some cosmetic pride items or something.

  7. #37
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's crazy that Diana didn't get her own story in the DC Pride Anthology. She had an ex-girlfriend in Rucka’s run, it was a perfect opportunity to explore that.
    DC Pride Anthology and other similar demographic anthologies are chances for DC to showcase lesser known but still beloved characters who have fewer opportunities to make appearances in DC titles.

    Think about how often we get to see Midnighter and Apollo in the last few years: almost never except when one of these types of anthologies come around. By contrast, WW gets a lot of attention and has her own title where they could explore her LGBT identity. I am a big WW fan but unfortunately there isn't room for everyone in these anthologies and I wouldn't appreciate them giving Diana a story over characters who rarely get to make an appearance at all such as Renee Montoya and Pied Piper.
    Last edited by Standish; 06-17-2021 at 03:54 PM.

  8. #38
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,603

    Default

    I mean, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy get a story

  9. #39
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy were shoe-ins because they are arguably DC's most prominent LGBT couple specifically because they are LGBT and their long-existing relationship. It's marketing. People who don't even read DC comics know about Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Everyone knows about them because they are iconic for being LGBT.

    By contrast, WW is extremely popular and well-known and she is iconic for being a woman, but she is not iconic for being LGBT. I wager that your average WW movie-goer is unaware that Diana is LGBT at all, much less integrates it into their perception of her. That said, if DC wants to brand the LGBT part of her identity more, I support it... but Diana has her own title and routinely appears in others enough where they can explore it there, rather than crowd out the LGBT characters whose only chance to ever appear at all is in one of these anthologies.
    Last edited by Standish; 06-17-2021 at 11:40 PM.

  10. #40
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standish View Post
    Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy were shoe-ins because they are arguably DC's most prominent LGBT couple specifically because they are LGBT and their long-existing relationship.

    WW is extremely popular and well-known and she is iconic for being a woman, but she is not iconic for being LGBT. People who don't even read DC comics know about Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Everyone knows about them. Meanwhile, I wager that your average WW movie-goer is unaware that Diana is LGBT, much less integrate it into their perception of her.
    This was a chance to fix that and bring more awareness to Diana being bisexual, but they're more interested with dancing around it and only referring to off panel stuff or relegating that to alternate Earths.

    I know Rucka said nobody is actively trying to avoid it, but the work continues to conveniently miss the opportunity.

  11. #41
    Spectacular Member HestiasHearth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Themyscira
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This was a chance to fix that and bring more awareness to Diana being bisexual, but they're more interested with dancing around it and only referring to off panel stuff or relegating that to alternate Earths.

    I know Rucka said nobody is actively trying to avoid it, but the work continues to conveniently miss the opportunity.
    I don't buy it for a second.
    I mean, there is zero chance that a major writer who works for a major comic book company is going to say, "oh yeah, my employer is definitely trying to heterowash one of their most iconic characters."
    It is what it is, and it is a reality: DC is not going to overtly, explicitly make any member of the Trinity LGBTQ. They may coyly tease us and throw us hints that never lead anywhere, they may have scenes that suggest past flings with other amazons (usually framed as gossip or seen from other characters' POV, which can always be taken as realiable-narrator kind of things), they may even have an Elsewords Diana be queer, but a canonically queer Diana will never become a reality in their main continuity. Just like Marvel will never make Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Tony Stark canonically, in-main-continuity queer.

  12. #42
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,603

    Default

    And again, it's so dumb because I doubt many consevatives are even reading Wonder Woman, and it's not like a woman kissing another woman drives away the typical 13 year old dude. In fact, it probably makes them wanna read the book.

  13. #43
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I don't buy it for a second.
    I mean, there is zero chance that a major writer who works for a major comic book company is going to say, "oh yeah, my employer is definitely trying to heterowash one of their most iconic characters."
    It is what it is, and it is a reality: DC is not going to overtly, explicitly make any member of the Trinity LGBTQ. They may coyly tease us and throw us hints that never lead anywhere, they may have scenes that suggest past flings with other amazons (usually framed as gossip or seen from other characters' POV, which can always be taken as realiable-narrator kind of things), they may even have an Elsewords Diana be queer, but a canonically queer Diana will never become a reality in their main continuity. Just like Marvel will never make Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Tony Stark canonically, in-main-continuity queer.
    I don’t see any reason not to believe it.

    Rucka isn’t known for being dishonest about his work relationship with DC, he’s chewed them out multiple times. He also is the one behind BatWoman being reimagined as a lesbian and now she’s the leading LGBT hero in DC comics.

    (Also I think Marvel just made Wolverine canonically bisexual, there was some chatter about it or something on the X-men forums so I could be wrong)


    -

    As for people not knowing Diana is LGBT, isn’t she the go-to cosplay for pro LGBT movements and has been for decades?
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-18-2021 at 08:02 AM.

  14. #44
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    And again, it's so dumb because I doubt many consevatives are even reading Wonder Woman, and it's not like a woman kissing another woman drives away the typical 13 year old dude. In fact, it probably makes them wanna read the book.
    Stereotyping much?

    I am a libertarian, fiscally conservative and I don't care what one does socially. Does this fit into your view of what conservatives are?

  15. #45
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    248

    Default

    To I'm a Fish's point: Queer people have icons that aren't queer, though. I think there's a nuanced difference between WW's iconography used to express solidarity and support for queer people and queer love and actually embracing that the character behind that iconography, in text/film/animation, is queer.

    Just because we love a diva don't mean that diva is queer. But sometimes she is, and in my reading of WW, she absolutely is and it IS relevant to her character, world, and iconography.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-18-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •