Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I just wish I had more to say on this matter. Wonder Woman means alot to me from a queer perspective and from the queer subtext of the golden age to the outspoken love of the more recent years, I just can't think of a way it impacted my life beyond raising my awareness and bringing joy to my life.

Fantastic Member

I have to be honest and say i wasn't into WW solo comics in the 70's- early 2000's. I got into her solo comics a little in the new 52. But only because she was dating SM, he really only appeared a few times toward the end of the new 52. But i really dropped WW solo comic because of Azz. i didn't like his run! I couldn't get into the rebirth run. I really was put off by the rebirth Run. I haven't pick-up WW solo comic since or went to her Movies. I'm right where i was with WW in the 70's!! I have no interest in her.

Then why are you here? I mean, I like to know what oustsiders think, but just surprised you would visit the forum.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Then why are you here? I mean, I like to know what oustsiders think, but just surprised you would visit the forum.
    Making a comment on a subject!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I have to be honest and say i wasn't into WW solo comics in the 70's- early 2000's. I got into her solo comics a little in the new 52. But only because she was dating SM, he really only appeared a few times toward the end of the new 52. But i really dropped WW solo comic because of Azz. i didn't like his run! I couldn't get into the rebirth run. I really was put off by the rebirth Run. I haven't pick-up WW solo comic since or went to her Movies. I'm right where i was with WW in the 70's!! I have no interest in her.
    So you never had an interest in the queer woman lead for some decades. You became interested in her when she became the world's strongest white guy's babe. You didn't read post-crisis and dropped it with nu-52 because of Azz and then again because of the Rebirth run. So basically, you've only ever read Wonder Woman when Supes shows up/when there's a dude there.

You're not a Wonder Woman fan and the fact that you decided to post in a thread centered around her queer appeal and then reveal you've only read her book/liked her when she's in a heterosexual relationship with a dude tells us everything we need to know lol.

But thanks for your opinion. We really needed it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    So you never had an interest in the queer woman lead for some decades. You became interested in her when she became the world's strongest white guy's babe. You didn't read post-crisis and dropped it with nu-52 because of Azz and then again because of the Rebirth run. So basically, you've only ever read Wonder Woman when Supes shows up/when there's a dude there.

You're not a Wonder Woman fan and the fact that you decided to post in a thread centered around her queer appeal and then reveal you've only read her book/liked her when she's in a heterosexual relationship with a dude tells us everything we need to know lol.

But thanks for your opinion. We really needed it.
    I'll admit, I respond more to the book when she has a love interest that reciprocates, but I could say that of most superhero books no matter the protagonist. Interpersonal relationships are interesting! Ironically, Diana's romantic history has become such a trainwreck I think I enjoy it now for the schadenfreude alone, the movie notwithstanding.

I'm of the mind that if we had to move Heaven and Earth to split her and Steve up again, she should probably get a female love interest (one unique to her universe, not some other superhero) since it's been 80 years of hinting but never allowing Diana to really embrace that side. I don't normally like the idea of LGBTQ+ characters needing to "prove" their orientation... But 80 years is a long time. Make it happen, DC.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    DC not doing anything with Themyscira during Pride Month feels like a missed opportunity.

You got an island full of Women, who have created a utopian civilization, many of whom have been confirmed to engage in same-sex relationships way back when Perez was on the series, and you're not going to have a story about it?
    Indeed, DC/Warner is tone-deaf when it comes to pretty much every comic book-based IP they control including Wonder Woman.

I find it laughable that Diana is often portrayed as "man crazy" in the various adaptations. She typically falls in love with Steve at first sight or ends up as Superman's passive arm candy once Lois bites the big one. Even in her latest movie, she spends literally decades miserable because she can't be with her man then immediately hops into bed with him once resurrected (despite his very morally questionable means of return to the flesh). DC seems afraid to let Diana be a strong, independent, bisexual (if not gay) character.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-07-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

If not Diana, then shouldn’t Wonder Woman family rep have been in the DC Special.

Diana, Hippolyta, Artemis, Candy, Cheetah?????

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    If not Diana, then shouldn’t Wonder Woman family rep have been in the DC Special.

Diana, Hippolyta, Artemis, Candy, Cheetah?????
    Yeah, I felt like there was a conspicuous absence of Amazons in the Pride Anthology, particularly at the end for the JLQ. It's like DC is so afraid to pass the invisible line of queerness. The back up of her book has Hippolyta and Phillipus together but nary a Wonder mention in their Pride cash-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    What happens on Paradise Island stays on Paradise Island.
    (Does this mean even the Amazon’s have an Elvis impersonator )

-

It’s funny actually because Rucka said that no one at DC ever opposed Diana being openly bi or with women on either of his runs.

Extraordinary Member

(Does this mean even the Amazon’s have an Elvis impersonator )

-

It’s funny actually because Rucka said that no one at DC ever opposed Diana being openly bi or with women on either of his runs.
    Really? Even pre-flashpoint?

Then why didn’t he straight up have her date someone or specify her status?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Really? Even pre-flashpoint?

Then why didn’t he straight up have her date someone or specify her status?
    He did in his first run when she said "I am not currently dating any man or woman." and in his second run he actually did have her date a woman.

Here's an interview where he goes into detail about it.

Also here is the quote from Rucka I was referring to:

"And I really don’t like the idea that there are people out there who might think DC is being mealy-mouthed about this. They’re not. No one wants to be taken out of context by ignorant people, but nobody at DC has ever said, “She’s gotta be straight.” Nobody. Ever. They’ve never blinked at this."
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-08-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He did in his first run when she said "I am not currently dating any man or woman." and in his second run he actually did have her date a woman.

Here's an interview where he goes into detail about it.

Also here is the quote from Rucka I was referring to:

"And I really don’t like the idea that there are people out there who might think DC is being mealy-mouthed about this. They’re not. No one wants to be taken out of context by ignorant people, but nobody at DC has ever said, “She’s gotta be straight.” Nobody. Ever. They’ve never blinked at this."
    With how strongly it was hinted but never really developed, well you could have certainly fooled me. Moreso the first run where there didn't seem a good reason not to pursue a relationship with a woman. Then again, Rucka could be selecting his words carefully. "Nobody at DC" could indicate the brass at Warner Brothers were against it.

Considering the studio's history, I could see them quietly sweeping that under the rug.

It sounds like it was just never in his plan originally and in Rebirth they were trying to fix Diana and Steve so I suppose it was never the right time? I don't know, I'm a little frustrated that's never been explored now that I know it's been on the table and for years they kept making up new male love interests that were duller than dirt.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-08-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    With how strongly it was hinted but never really developed, well you could have certainly fooled me. Moreso the first run where there didn't seem a good reason not to pursue a relationship with a woman. Then again, Rucka could be selecting his words carefully. "Nobody at DC" could indicate the brass at Warner Brothers were against it.

Considering the studio's history, I could see them quietly sweeping that under the rug.

It sounds like it was just never in his plan originally and in Rebirth they were trying to fix Diana and Steve so I suppose it was never the right time? I don't know, I'm a little frustrated that's never been explored now that I know it's been on the table and for years they kept making up new male love interests that were duller than dirt.
    I think in his first run, he just wasn’t interested in pursuing any kind of romantic relationship with Diana. Something which carried on to other writers because if we all remember, Diana was going through some craaazzzzyyyy stuff around that time.

And then DC cared more about having her date Superman in Nu52.

It's crazy that Diana didn't get her own story in the DC Pride Anthology. She had an ex-girlfriend in Rucka’s run, it was a perfect opportunity to explore that.