Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'd rather Jon have to scrap and use pure ingenuity to make up for shortcomings, and I'd love for him to really be "a little guy" in a way I feel, baring New 52, Clark hasn't been since forever.
    Doesn't seem like the direction they'll be going in at all. Quite the opposite seems to be the case actually. PKJ has done nothing but talk about how remarkably powerful Jon is, and how he'll be so powerful that he'll be a major player on the power structure of the DCU. And Batman in issue 1030 said that he'd be more powerful than both Clark and Kara.

So rather than the "little guy" (which would frankly be a bit of a false title for someone of Jon's status alone) he'll be a very young man with a lot of power and agency looking for the right way for him to use it.

I can't actually think of a time when DC has committed to a significantly powerful Superman in the same way they have Flash or Marvel has with Thor or Hulk, so this will be fascinating to see.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

I'd like to point out that on Earth-22, Kingdom Come Earth,
    or at least in the Mark Waid direct sequel to Kingdom Come, called the Kingdom,
    Jonathan Kent is Hyperman and for the majority of that series, he looked like the Phantom Stranger,
    and he is some protector of the Hypertime,so there's also that.

And as a time traveler, which Jon technically is,
    there is always the possibility of just making older Jon the old Cable in X-men,
    so teen Jon time travel back half way through his journey with Jor-El, as a teen,
    and adult Jon can still be around due to timey-wimey stuff.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Whenever the Superman 2000 pitch is brought up, the first thing that goes through my mind is "what was going on in the DC offices at that time that they felt this was necessary?" Were the books not selling? Because based on things like Superman Y2K (the ACTUAL Year 2000 story they did) and Return to Krypton, it's obvious they were looking to go in another direction and re-insert certain SA elements back into the comics anyway. After Y2K certain story elements were just dropped and never mentioned again. Like the whole Hypersector thing. Or Lex's daughter who literally disappeared. Reading between the lines, it looks like they were planning on going in a whole different direction and just changed course. So obviously the positive reception that the Superman 2000 pitch got in the DC offices had some kind of impact on the main books. I would argue that this was also around the time the books started going off course and continuity started falling apart. So maybe it would have been in their best interest to go with it after all.
    Assassinate Putin!

I believe sales were starting to fall and Berganza had just gotten the job as head editor for the Superbooks, and he wanted to go in a different direction. Basically it was time for a shakeup which happens regularly in comics now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Superman 2000 pitch that gets shared wasn't the one that was ultimately approved and then quickly dropped when the editor came back from vacation. Wasn't it the preliminary one they worked on but then was revised. The final pitch didn't end up dissolving the marriage - though that got ported over to Marvel for One More Day via Millar.

Yeah the Superman 2000 pitch was much more Waid/Millar influenced, whereas the final pitch of Superman Now was more Morrison driven if I remember correctly. I really would love to read that pitch, wish DC would’ve put it in the Morrison Superman Omnibus
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah, haven't seen much about the secondary pitch. I'm sure it was pretty damn good in its own right though if not a little better. I disagree about not undoing the marriage, but beyond that I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be just as good as the 2000 pitch we've seen.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I'd like to point out that on Earth-22, Kingdom Come Earth,
    or at least in the Mark Waid direct sequel to Kingdom Come, called the Kingdom,
    Jonathan Kent is Hyperman and for the majority of that series, he looked like the Phantom Stranger,
    and he is some protector of the Hypertime,so there's also that.

And as a time traveler, which Jon technically is,
    there is always the possibility of just making older Jon the old Cable in X-men,
    so teen Jon time travel back half way through his journey with Jor-El, as a teen,
    and adult Jon can still be around due to timey-wimey stuff.
    I’m not sure why that would matter given that Jonathan Kent was not Lois Lanes son and a completely different character having absolutely nothing to do with this one.

If Lois Lane isn’t his mother than nothing about him is relevant. Women aren’t interchangeable entities despite the way DC Comics sometimes acts.

I could care less about any son of Superman unless Lois is his mother.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Doesn't seem like the direction they'll be going in at all. Quite the opposite seems to be the case actually. PKJ has done nothing but talk about how remarkably powerful Jon is, and how he'll be so powerful that he'll be a major player on the power structure of the DCU. And Batman in issue 1030 said that he'd be more powerful than both Clark and Kara.

So rather than the "little guy" (which would frankly be a bit of a false title for someone of Jon's status alone) he'll be a very young man with a lot of power and agency looking for the right way for him to use it.

I can't actually think of a time when DC has committed to a significantly powerful Superman in the same way they have Flash or Marvel has with Thor or Hulk, so this will be fascinating to see.
    I don't care about the power.I care about his attitude,personality,outlook...etc.I don't want someone trying to be their percieved notion of perfection,greatness,..etc or what they deeem to be an example figure...I want someone trying to be superman-the man of action..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-07-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

12 issues max
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-07-2021 at 09:39 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Real Jon becomes a teen titan
    No!Jon was the superboy.He doesn't belong with the titans.He makes his own team or he doesn't have one..The titans rejeceted him and that's that..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"