Default Die!namite crossover discussion (Spoilers)

I posted this on reddit but felt like I should discuss here too so I copied it. I assumed it’s safe to discuss this comic here, and this discussion is going to be really weird for me. See I’ve never read a dynamite comic before, no particular reason just haven’t so I have no idea who any of these characters are outside of John Carter but that’s only because I remember a movie that came out years ago. So why did I read this? Well it’s certainly not because I like DCeased, which this is clearly trying to ape I mean come on with that title, because DCeased is a completely different writer and universe.

No I read this for possibly a weirder reason....I’m a big evil dead (Ash Williams) fan and I heard through the grapevine that Ash is in the sequel series as a main protagonist. Yeah so I read this just so I could know what’s going on when the one character I’m legit interested in shows up. Doesn’t hurt that I bought all the issues 5 issues and a Valentine’s special together for $12 so not too much of a personal cost.

So what did I think of this? Honestly it’s a comedy or at least relishes in absurdity. It understands that it has a handful of wacky characters from all walks of life that probably don’t go together with warrior women, superheroes, Martian fantasy warriors, and space vampires all fighting zombies. There’s jokes about old superheroes breaking hips and going to strip clubs, hell there is a super spreaders joke that’s actually a little funny. It’s not the best indie crossover comic I’ve ever read, but it knows what it is, a silly toybox of random characters thrown into a pit of zombies.

I’d probably grade it at a C+, because it’s trying but it’s pretty clear it’s forcing characters together that don’t naturally know each other or don’t flow well in a single story. Maybe they should have limited itself to certain characters like just the superheroes or the space and fantasy based characters. I mean Sonja gets here by way of a magic water well that took her to Mars, Vampirella crashed in a space ship, and then later they made it to Earth with superheroes already there. Maybe it’s because I’m not familiar with any of these characters but it just felt a little forced getting them together, though I suppose it should be forgiven since it was meant to be a big crossover.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

First, I didn't get this, have no intention of getting this, but, second, I'm a Red Sonja fan, Ash fan, and a used-to-be Vampirella fan, as well as an occasional John Carter fan, and while this mish-mash didn't appeal to me at all, I do recommend Dynamite's take, in their individual series, on the individual characters. Sonja's become WAY too over-used, but in her "Invincible" series, and its predecessor, it made for good reading, as did their first John Carter take, until his world, too, became over-used (IMHO!). So you might want to check on some of those; I admit that Invincible Red Sonja is currently the only title I'm reading, myself...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    First, I didn't get this, have no intention of getting this, but, second, I'm a Red Sonja fan, Ash fan, and a used-to-be Vampirella fan, as well as an occasional John Carter fan, and while this mish-mash didn't appeal to me at all, I do recommend Dynamite's take, in their individual series, on the individual characters. Sonja's become WAY too over-used, but in her "Invincible" series, and its predecessor, it made for good reading, as did their first John Carter take, until his world, too, became over-used (IMHO!). So you might want to check on some of those; I admit that Invincible Red Sonja is currently the only title I'm reading, myself...
    What made you not be a Vampi fan anymore? Yea Red Sonja is being too over used. Hopefully now with much of the Main series done. I think it's just minis for now.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I really liked Vampirella when she was a Warren magazine character. Dynamite's first Vampi story just didn't play well with my recollections of of the character, and then Dynamite began diluting her presence with a too rapidly expanding "universe" of titles, and I just haven't found any interest.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Okay yeah I bought the first issue of Die!namite Lives! and yeah this is the kind of Wacky evil dead antics I'm all for.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.